Author Topic: Vehicular Combat  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
Vehicular Combat
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:12:54 PM »
I know some time ago there was a discussion about how to stat a tank, but if I remember correctly, that was more for statting a single vehicle.

This thread is not only for ways to STAT the vehicle, but how to handle combat between pilots/crew. I ask due to the discussions on various kitbashing discussions as well as the period-specific discussion.

The only way I am aware of offhand is the version in Strands of Fate (not exactly 100% compatible with DFRPG), where you "stat" our a vehicle by doing the following:

1) Decide what the vehicle is.
2) Determine Size (impacts cost, equipment usable, cargo capacity, etc)
3) Give it 1-2 Aspects (think High Concept)
4) Assign "Abilities" (vehicles have 7 skills to select from/use. Roll this skill. Skills include Crew, Maneuverability, Structure, Sensors, Speed, Systems, and Weapons).
5) Specialty Aspects (more Aspects to flesh out what it can do)
6) Vehicular Advantages (make it more expensive, add special abilities; think Powers, but really nitpicky, like requiring a "mobility" power to be able to move at all)

When taking an action, you used the skill rating of the vehicle (Maneuverability for dodging, for example) and not the character's skill.

It has it's own stress boxes and consequences, and acts as a character in all regards.

The only other thing I can think of is making a sub-character, so to speak, by using the Extras chapter of Fate Core.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or any ideas to offer?
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicular Combat
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »
I (and some other people) took a shot at this problem a while back.

Here's what we came up with.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »
I (and some other people) took a shot at this problem a while back.

Here's what we came up with.

Thanks Santaphrax. I seem to have poor luck with the search engine on the forum for some reason.

EDIT: I took a look at it, and it makes enough sense. The real question is, how do you balance out the two "skills" it has? Would you just simply assign it a rating of 1-5?

I ask this due to the DFRPG Kitbash thread I've been working with Vargo Teras on, as well as the multiple people mentioning pirate-themed games. Having a ship be an Aspect and only a general collection of psuedo-skills just seems a bit weak in my book. Perhaps blend your idea with the "Extras" from Fate Core, give the ship a two or three Aspects to denote special qualities and go from there?

Anyone else have any experience with this?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:07:19 PM by Crion »
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline AstronaughtAndy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:50:50 PM »
Starblazers (another Fate game) as a scifi game has rules for vehicles/spaceships. They're basically treated as characters with skills and stunts.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »
Thanks Santaphrax. I seem to have poor luck with the search engine on the forum for some reason.

EDIT: I took a look at it, and it makes enough sense. The real question is, how do you balance out the two "skills" it has? Would you just simply assign it a rating of 1-5?

Not necessarily 1-5. A cruise ship, for instance, would have Maneuverability -1 and Durability 9ish with some Toughness.

But yes, the stats are arbitrarily assigned. Vehicles are equipment under this model; saying that your car has Durability 4 is like saying your grenades are weapon 4.

And even without blending in anything from Fate Core, you can (and often should) give Aspects to a vehicle.