Author Topic: Has Mab become something more? [CD Spoilers]  (Read 37139 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
Has Mab become something more? [CD Spoilers]
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »
I spoilered the initial theory because it's kind of big and I don't want people to miss my revisions:

(click to show/hide)

EDIT 2: okay, so with the feedback from the thread so far, I'm revising my theory slightly.

When Mab became Winter Queen she "became the fun-loving Mab we know today": basically she made enough Choices over time that either her soul was extinguished or an extremely small barely glowing ember. For all practical purposes it doesn't matter since even if she did have the ember it wasn't enough to influence her decisions at all.

Then at some time (possibly beginning with Sarrisa) she began interacting with Mortals too much. They then either gave her a soul back (but only a little) or fanned the ember until it was a guttering flame (possibly this was through soul exchanging as described by Bob in White Night).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:27:55 PM by 123456789blaaa »
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Has Mab become something more? [CD Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:30:28 PM »
I like to think of the Dresdenverse soul as source of light.  A typical mortal's soul shines bright, and is the shape of their body, for lack of a better form.

Like Bob has described, mortals swap bits of their soul's constantly. When they hug, emote, get jiggy, or whatever else brings them close.

I think for beings like Mab, who started out with a mortal soul, their soul slowly fades over time.  Maybe not in size, but in brightness.  Like a light fading.  Eventually, like Butcher describes it, it can seem to completely dissipate, where its no longer there.

I think in Mab's case, and most of the Fae, they still retain their soul initially, but it fades.  But I think there's still enough there to interact with other souls around them.

In this case, Mab has had regular interaction with Sarissa for years, and I'm sure on some level, they've either shared or reflected each other's souls.  Mab has also had more contact with the mortal world through Harry, who we all know is big on soul.  And she's now bonded to Harry through the WK mantle ceremony, and the mantle itself.

So the idea that any remnant soul hasn't been affected by those around her seems unlikely.  It seems more likely that whatever soul she has left has been influenced by Sarissa, Harry, and any other mortals.  And since Sarissa and Harry both seem to be big softies, I'd say that's had a softening affect on Mab.

I don't know that she's gotten her soul 'back', so much as what she had left has been slightly rekindled by her relations with mortals.  I don't think she's going soft and fuzzy on us any time soon, but I'd say it allows her enough to remember the feelings she might once have had.  The light of her soul might still be dim, but it might be brighter than before.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »
On the one hand, she can't kill her own daughter.  On the other hand, she has her daughter killed by her assassin.  That's still pretty damned cold.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:32:26 PM »
I understand your point, but ... I took it to mean that had Mab changed, she might have figured out a way to work around Maeve's infection rather than have her killed. 

The fact that she was having the WL replaced is the important part, not who did it.  So I don't see her as having changed or become something more (or something else).  I just see it as her not wanting to do it, and that's within her ability to choose.

As to her soul, you have to be careful about what you mean.  Harry using Soulfire can use up his soul and cease to exist.  This is not the same thing as losing your soul.  In the context of Mab I took Jim's answer to mean damnation (losing her soul to the search for power) vs. keeping your soul (for the northbound train).
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 08:44:13 PM »
I like to think of the Dresdenverse soul as source of light.  A typical mortal's soul shines bright, and is the shape of their body, for lack of a better form.

Like Bob has described, mortals swap bits of their soul's constantly. When they hug, emote, get jiggy, or whatever else brings them close.

I think for beings like Mab, who started out with a mortal soul, their soul slowly fades over time.  Maybe not in size, but in brightness.  Like a light fading.  Eventually, like Butcher describes it, it can seem to completely dissipate, where its no longer there.

I think in Mab's case, and most of the Fae, they still retain their soul initially, but it fades.  But I think there's still enough there to interact with other souls around them.

In this case, Mab has had regular interaction with Sarissa for years, and I'm sure on some level, they've either shared or reflected each other's souls.  Mab has also had more contact with the mortal world through Harry, who we all know is big on soul.  And she's now bonded to Harry through the WK mantle ceremony, and the mantle itself.

So the idea that any remnant soul hasn't been affected by those around her seems unlikely.  It seems more likely that whatever soul she has left has been influenced by Sarissa, Harry, and any other mortals.  And since Sarissa and Harry both seem to be big softies, I'd say that's had a softening affect on Mab.

I don't know that she's gotten her soul 'back', so much as what she had left has been slightly rekindled by her relations with mortals.  I don't think she's going soft and fuzzy on us any time soon, but I'd say it allows her enough to remember the feelings she might once have had.  The light of her soul might still be dim, but it might be brighter than before.

Yes that's probably the more likely option. It fits with the KC signing thing perfectly. 

So she still had a very very small ember of a soul left but it wasn't enough to actually influence her. However, she then interacted with mortals to much and they began to give her more soul.

On the one hand, she can't kill her own daughter.  On the other hand, she has her daughter killed by her assassin.  That's still pretty damned cold.

Well Jim did say he wasn't sure whether she had some small spark left or not. Maybe she has enough soul to not be able to kill Maeve but not enough to enable her emotions to completely overtake her head.

I understand your point, but ... I took it to mean that had Mab changed, she might have figured out a way to work around Maeve's infection rather than have her killed. 

The fact that she was having the WL replaced is the important part, not who did it.  So I don't see her as having changed or become something more (or something else).  I just see it as her not wanting to do it, and that's within her ability to choose.

As to her soul, you have to be careful about what you mean.  Harry using Soulfire can use up his soul and cease to exist.  This is not the same thing as losing your soul.  In the context of Mab I took Jim's answer to mean damnation (losing her soul to the search for power) vs. keeping your soul (for the northbound train).

Who's to say Mab didn't try to find out a way to cure Maeve? Also, see my reply to Peregrine.

And it wasn't just having someone else do it. Mab sounds pretty sad in the book about Maeves death.

That part of the WoJ was pretty weird. I'm not sure which part was metaphorical and which part wasn't. I thought humans would always have a soul/Free Will no matter how far down they went. The Knight still try to redeem the really old, evil Denarians after all.

Offline lt_murgen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:55:42 PM »
Based on my thoughts here:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,36663.0.html

I would say that Mab's soul has not been completely bested by the Purpose brought on by her mantle and position.  Her constant interaction with mortals is feeding her soul, giving it metaphysical ammunition to subvert her Purpose.  WHich might be yet another reason she chose Dresden- watching him fight his mantle for every metaphysical inch might empower her to do the same.
Not that she needs to change, mind you.  I like her just the way she is. 
Lol! I allwyas liked the big Bird = trex. It explains why they have t get new kids each season..

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »

Remember that Maeve might have been Infected since the end of SK.  And Mab's known at least since PG, if not earlier, but after DB.  That means that she's had years to work on Maeve subtly, trying to discover exactly how far gone she was.  I think the important thing about Lea was that on some level, she wanted to be cured.  It wasn't until Maeve openly said in CD that she didn't want to be cured that Mab gave up.  And she let an Infected Maeve remain in power for years, and only eventually took action once Maeve was making a considerable effort to destroy the balances in place.

Remember, Mab can't lie.
 - "I would prefer it if you were to allowed me to assist you to return to your duties."
 - In reference to wanting to torture Maeve, she hesitated, but she still said "No, Maeve"
 - "I cared too much."

She wanted Meave saved, but that doesn't mean that she'd convinced herself it was likely.

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »
I like it.

I happen to believe that there was more to Maeve's comments at Macs back in PG than misdirection.

I floated a theory a few years ago that Mab is actually in love with Harry (her own demented kind of love, of course).
Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »
   I do not think Mab is any different from what she was or that she has become something more.  I think simply that we and Harry understand her better.  We understand what is at stake at the Gates, the perpetual war, the losses that Winter makes on a regular basis, we are getting Mab's point of view, something we really never had before.  When pushed by Harry, Mab allowed us to see that there  is a feeling side to her, unlike Titania who sheds a river of tears for Aurora, Mab's grief was a quiet silence. Mab knew that Maeve had to die, but while she didn't shirk from her duty to do it, she still is capable of love and does grieve for her only daughter.  In short, though Harry should never underestimate her, let down his guard against her, fear her any less for what she is capable of, she is less scary now.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:01:28 PM by Mira »

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:16:42 PM »
   I do not think Mab is any different from what she was or that she has become something more.  I think simply that we and Harry understand her better.  We understand what is at stake at the Gates, the perpetual war, the losses that Winter makes on a regular basis, we are getting Mab's point of view, something we really never had before.  When pushed by Harry, Mab allowed us to see that there  is a feeling side to her, unlike Titania who sheds a river of tears for Aurora, Mab's grief was a quiet silence. Mab knew that Maeve had to die, but while she didn't shirk from her duty to do it, she still is capable of love and does grieve for her only daughter.  In short, though Harry should never underestimate her, let down his guard against her, fear her any less for what she is capable of, she is less scary now.

I think that's unlikely because of this WoJ:

<snip>
Ask yourself why Mab had Molly brought in.  What chain of events did that set in motion?  What secondary effects came about because of it?  Ultimately, Mab can always go to the Wyld and draw in more muscle to replace fallen thugs.  If worst comes to worst, with just a few "seed" fae, she could rear up enough Changelings to repopulate her cadre within a human generation or two--nothing, to a being thousands of years old. 

As far as she's concerned, everyone and everything is expendable, including herself, when it comes to adhering to her (seemingly irrational and inexplicable) priorities. 

(And by the way--don't think Titania is much better.  When push came to shove, she let her own daughter be murdered rather than upset the balance of the Faerie Courts.  At least Mab is up front about it.  Usually.)

Sacrifice her best troops?  Mab would sacrifice every creature *in* Winter, every one she could bring from Summer, and every single mortal on planet Earth if that's what she thought was appropriate.  And she wouldn't even need to add extra sugar to her cup of tea afterwards, much less lose sleep over it.

But no one does cold-blooded like the Queen of Winter.  Mab's been in the business a long time, she's got a balance sheet, and she is *not* going to come out in the red--

--unless, of course, she really *has* stripped a gear, as Lily and Maeve believe.  In which case there's a stark raving bonkers demigoddess whose powers are no longer being held in check by the Escher-esque code of Sidhe behavior.  And that's all kinds of bad.

But hey.  It's probably not that.  I mean, not *everything* that happens can be the absolute worst possible possibility, right?

Jim

Wow...how the heck did I forget to post that  :o.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »
Though let's face it, there's a difference between "best troops" which are assets in the war, and "daughter" which has, apparently, an actual emotional connection.

Offline KrelianZG

• Posty McPostington
  • Temporary Catatonic Madman on Occasion
    • View Profile
    • KrelianZG's Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 10:59:24 PM »
I really like the idea that Mab's soul had been reduced to the point where it was barely a glowing ember, but recently her increased contact with mortals has fanned it into at least a weak, guttering flame. Rings true for me.

Let's just hope she knows enough to keep a lid on it and not let it burn much brighter than it is now though. I doubt she will, but it could be a rather bad thing at this juncture...

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 11:06:25 PM »
Though let's face it, there's a difference between "best troops" which are assets in the war, and "daughter" which has, apparently, an actual emotional connection.

Yes? The quote specifically says that she would sacrifice every creature in Winter and she wouldn't even need to add sugar to her tea afterwards.

I really like the idea that Mab's soul had been reduced to the point where it was barely a glowing ember, but recently her increased contact with mortals has fanned it into at least a weak, guttering flame. Rings true for me.

Let's just hope she knows enough to keep a lid on it and not let it burn much brighter than it is now though. I doubt she will, but it could be a rather bad thing at this juncture...

How far back is "recently"?

Offline KrelianZG

• Posty McPostington
  • Temporary Catatonic Madman on Occasion
    • View Profile
    • KrelianZG's Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 11:12:54 PM »
How far back is "recently"?

Probably slowly built with her relationship with Sarissa, and really started making an impact on her in the last decade?

It's not a big enough change that it would alter her day-to-day behavior, I think. Just when drastic emotional decisions (ie having to kill your daughter) had to be made.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 11:57:05 PM »
Probably slowly built with her relationship with Sarissa, and really started making an impact on her in the last decade?

It's not a big enough change that it would alter her day-to-day behavior, I think. Just when drastic emotional decisions (ie having to kill your daughter) had to be made.

Maybe it started making an impact even earlier? Perhaps that's how Nemesis got in...Mab let her heart rule her head and made an emotional decision instead of a rational one...