Author Topic: Drawing and Storing Magical Power  (Read 5118 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Drawing and Storing Magical Power
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 09:13:57 PM »
my own issue with using maneuvers to represent this is that a wizard can, in theory, draw in as much extra power as he wants as long as its available. They CAN draw those extra shifts, but if they didn't want to use them they should be able to hold on to them somehow. I wouldn't want to add a roll to a practitioner character on something they can clearly do already.

Unless the maneuver is to HOLD the shifts...?

I don't get what you mean here. 

The maneuvers aren't so that you can draw extra shifts, they're there so that you can cast - period.

Lets say I'm prepping for a fight.  Before combat, I make 3 maneuvers:  Buzzing with Power, Fuelled Up and Extra Reserves.

In a normal combat, I could tag those for a +2 to my spell casting.  So this is getting you extra shifts of power.

In a combat where the GM presents the challenge "You cannot draw magic from the area", you have invoke those aspects to be able to cast at all.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:26:30 PM by Taran »

Dr.FunLove

Re: Drawing and Storing Magical Power
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »
@Taran
I believe this is a concept that comes against the spell-casting rules of the system in some ways. The best way to approach it, as been said, is to utilize manuevers. I think there is some GM discretion/house-rules to be had in this based on the situation (such as the Small Favor example).

Hopefully I get into a combat situation in my Singapore game soon I can poke at these ideas with a spoon.

Thanks everyone for your feeback on this! Keep it simple stupid is the axiom of the thread!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:45:44 PM by Dr.FunLove »