Author Topic: The Blackstaff  (Read 4632 times)

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Re: The Blackstaff
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 11:42:08 PM »
I think, considering the fact that Jim almost come out an said that

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 01:18:15 AM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 04:35:27 AM »
fwiw, it also has that whole summonable ability.  So unlike most Items of power you dont run the risk of getting it lost or stolen (at least without extraordinary crcumstances
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 04:43:28 AM »
fwiw, it also has that whole summonable ability.  So unlike most Items of power you dont run the risk of getting it lost or stolen (at least without extraordinary crcumstances

Maybe that's a curse and not a blessing...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 04:46:48 AM »
It is -12 Refresh invested into one item, though, which always struck me as a bit excessive.

Taking every Lawbreaker is a massive waste of Refresh. If I had to guess I'd say 14 points of Lawbreaker provide roughly 5 Refinements worth of power.

So I think it'd be fair to make up a [-5] Power that does the same thing as 14 points of Lawbreaker.

Providing a 9 Refresh rebate for purely thematic reasons is usually a (very) bad move, but since Lawbreaker's cost has been inflated for thematic reasons I think it's okay in this case.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 05:11:46 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 04:49:41 AM »
fwiw, it also has that whole summonable ability.  So unlike most Items of power you dont run the risk of getting it lost or stolen (at least without extraordinary crcumstances)

That doesn't necessarily follow, taking it from you may switch it's ownership to the thief, at which point they can summon it and you can't.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »
That doesn't necessarily follow, taking it from you may switch it's ownership to the thief, at which point they can summon it and you can't.

And that actually makes more sense since otherwise the original owner would just summon it back already.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 06:34:42 AM »
Especially considering who is original owner is

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
Hence the words "extraordinary circumstances.  My point is that you can be considered to have it at all times without having to actually carry the big stick around, if it slips from your hand you can probably call it back, and most likely it takes a conscious choice on the owner's part transfer ownership, or else serious mojo to take it by force.  In terms of a tool, those are all very useful traits.  Granted for the purposes of your game you could rule that if it is dropped or physically taken by force the person who did so can choose (or maybe is forced) to take up the Bond, those mechanics are up for interpretation.  But the point is that it is a bonded weapon that you can have with you at any time in any circumstance, barring somebody specifically taking over the Role as Blackstaff
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 03:55:54 AM »
Taking every Lawbreaker is a massive waste of Refresh. If I had to guess I'd say 14 points of Lawbreaker provide roughly 5 Refinements worth of power.

So I think it'd be fair to make up a [-5] Power that does the same thing as 14 points of Lawbreaker.

Providing a 9 Refresh rebate for purely thematic reasons is usually a (very) bad move, but since Lawbreaker's cost has been inflated for thematic reasons I think it's okay in this case.

Possibly.

Or maybe it just protects you from getting Lawbreaker (without the Lawbreaker bonuses), plus acts as a normal Focus Item. 

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 04:13:42 AM »
How about Physical Immunity [Only To The Laws Of Magic ; +5] - 3 Refresh?
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 04:34:46 AM »
Considering the Laws don't cause stress of any kind, I'm not sure that works. But on that note, possibly a Feeding Dependency for the Lawbreaker bonuses? Ebenezar seems to take stress as he uses the Staff's power.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 05:25:40 AM »
Yeah, you can't take Immunity to the rules of the game. Immunity stops stress and consequences. That's it.

And it wouldn't be fair to charge 3 Refresh for something non-humans get for free.