Author Topic: Making Life Hard for your Characters  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Making Life Hard for your Characters
« on: February 18, 2013, 05:33:31 PM »
As an amateur writer, the hardest thing I have to do in writing a story is creating pain, sorrow, tragedy and misery for my main characters. I think I'm too softhearted sometimes. Has anyone else had this problem?
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Re: Making Life Hard for your Characters
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:50:14 PM »
As an amateur writer, the hardest thing I have to do in writing a story is creating pain, sorrow, tragedy and misery for my main characters. I think I'm too softhearted sometimes. Has anyone else had this problem?

Without pain, sorrow, tragedy and misery for your main characters, there isn't much of a story.... ;)

Seriously, almost all stories have a conflict, be it internal, external. or both. It can be a minor conflict ("Should I eat that last piece of cake?") or major ("Mom! There's a couple of hundred aliens outside and they looked Pissed!") The conflict shouldn't be quick or simple to solve until the story's climax.

And your characters are going to have to go through emotional turmoil trying to resolve the conflict. They are goign to feel pain, they are going to be in turmoil, have emotional lows and sorrows --- that's part of life, and your characters need to reflect that.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »

It depends on the scale of your story, really.  I mean, I have read entirely satisfying conflicts about whether people won a softball game or not in which everyone concerned otherwise had a fairly happy or satisfied life; it's not a scale I write at myself but it can be made work.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:31:44 AM »
In a good story the characters grow in some way - sometimes you need pain/sorrow/misery to
create the ground for this growth or for the character to grow in spite of adversity.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 02:10:02 AM »
I've created characters who's job is to die to make a certain part of the story happen.  So to give their death an impact on the other characters that's believable... I gotta make them characters that the reader will (hopefully) hate to lose.  I find myself not only putting as much work into their development as I do the "main" characters, but also eventually hitting a point where I try to find ways to spare them, or create new characters to take their place... And then my inner 6 year old, the one who never outgrew pulling the wings off of flies, pulls a knife and shivs my inner care-bear... because that means the character's exactly who I need to kill to drive the remaining one's development.

That's the big difference between the typical Red Shirt and, say, one of Joss Whedon's victims, er, characters.  He makes them engaging, so that the reader feels exactly why the remaining characters in the story are impacted so greatly. 

But we can't just brutalize our imaginary friends forever, because people generally want to see the protagonist score some "wins."  (At least in story's where it's possible.  That's not always the case, John Carpenter's "The Thing" for example...)  I originally loved Elric, because he was soooo unique, and appealed to my egotistical, angst ridden teen self... but eventually I got fed up with "He dies, she dies, everybody dies..."  That pony can only be ridden so far.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 07:42:17 AM »
Just be careful when creating a character who's job, in your mind, is to die that
it not be obvious that that's what you have in mind for them.
I read a book once where I realized that one character was created just to be killed.
And it was painfully obvious to me - annoyed the snot out of me.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »
But we can't just brutalize our imaginary friends forever, because people generally want to see the protagonist score some "wins."  (At least in story's where it's possible.  That's not always the case, John Carpenter's "The Thing" for example...) 

Depends on who you count as the protagonist.  Have you seen Peter Watts' riff on that from the alien POV ?

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 01:11:52 AM »
Depends on who you count as the protagonist.  Have you seen Peter Watts' riff on that from the alien POV ?

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

Hence the "generally."   ;)

A very good short though.  Thanks for sharing that link.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 02:29:46 AM »
First let me agree with Neurovore (and btw Neuro, thanks for the link ). It seems like any rule that is established about story writing will be successfully broken by someone. Short stories especially can take strange turns yet still end up taking you somewhere fascinating. I have been rereading Neil Gaman's book of short stories, Smoke and Mirrors and he does some things in there that don't seem like they should work yet they do.

Having said that the number one downfall (IMHO) of otherwise well written, self published novels in places like Amazon's kindle store is a lack of conflict. My discovery of such stories usually goes like this. I am desperate for a fiction fix. First I begin going through the mounds of books that cover far too much of the living space in my house looking for something that I bought but never read. Maybe my daughter bought something and I never had a chance to read it or maybe there's something that was good enough or read long enough ago that I don't mind rereading it. When I fail to find anything, I get on my computer and go to the Kindle store. I open it up and am bombarded by stories that they have decided I might like due to my past purchasing history. After examining and rejecting story after story I finally find one that looks good. The author has a number of other online stories and all of them have numerous rave reviews. I look at the sample and find a story with few if any typos and editing errors. The author has a good command of the language. The story flows, the setting seems well developed and the protagonist is interesting enough to grab my interest. The plot has promise and when the sample ends, I decide that I like it well enough to spend my $.99 to $3.99 to purchase the story.

I start reading where the sample ended and after a few more chapters I am convinced that I have indeed been lucky to discover an author that has great potential. Some day they're going to be published and well known and I will be able to say that I read them before they were well known. Then as the story progresses I realize that I am getting bored. Somehow everything always works out for the protagonist. There is no cost for their victories. They may be wounded, in their hearts or their bodies, but the wounds heal and never leave scars. They may have to make choices but they always manage to make the one choice that will allow them to have the cake and eat it too. When they discover their true love, he or she (it?) is such a perfect match that the protagonist doesn't have to adapt or change in any way to make the relationship work.

I freely admit that I read fiction for escape. I want happy endings and I want the good guys to win in the end. What I don't want is a walk in the park where the protagonist reaches this happy ending with no personal cost, without difficult decisions and painful sacrifices. 

Sorry for the lengthy post but I guess the point that I am making is that I don't think your difficulties are unusual Tami. I do believe that your recognition of this means that you are a step closer to being a good writer than those that are blissfully unaware.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 03:25:45 AM »
Hence the "generally."   ;)

A very good short though.  Thanks for sharing that link.

Oh, I totally agree with you on the general principle; I just couldn't resist the counterexample given the specific example you quoted.

Peter Watts is something very special; if you've not read it, I strongly recommend his Hugo-nominated novel "Blindsight", which is (legitimately) available from his website here: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

It's one of the most intelligent books I have ever read, and also the most downbeat.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:33:59 AM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 03:28:57 AM »
It seems like any rule that is established about story writing will be successfully broken by someone.

Indeed, but I think the take home message is more " ..but it may not be you, and it's particularly unlikely to be you when you are just starting out".  Not that it can never be you, but don't expect the odds of being able to walk before you have put a goodl bit of practice into crawling to be in your favour.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 03:33:56 AM »
Oh, I totally agree with you on the general principle; I just couldn't resist the counterexample given the specific example you quoted.

Peter Watts is something very special; if you've not read it, I strongly recommend his novel "Blindsight", which is legitmately available from his website here: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

It's one of the most intelligent books I have ever read, and also one of the most downbeat.

It's actually a good reminder that the "main character" isn't necessarily the protagonist as far as the audience is concerned.  I'll have to take a look at some of his other work... although I get enough downbeat from the news these days.

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »
Regarding the "making life hard for characters" part in the OP, I sometimes have the problem where I have a bad day and I come home and I sit down at the computer, and I think, "Awww. I've had such a bad day. Do I really want my character to lose their girlfriend/almost die (yet again!)/have an hour to save the world and so on and so on?" It just seems EVIL to spread pain around the world. I want my characters to be happy and go home safely....

And then I realize that I have nothing to write about, because everyone is happy.

Yes...I'm softhearted...it's a problem... :'(

Is there a pill that can make writers really really horrible? ::)
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »
Regarding the "making life hard for characters" part in the OP, I sometimes have the problem where I have a bad day and I come home and I sit down at the computer, and I think, "Awww. I've had such a bad day. Do I really want my character to lose their girlfriend/almost die (yet again!)/have an hour to save the world and so on and so on?" It just seems EVIL to spread pain around the world. I want my characters to be happy and go home safely....

And then I realize that I have nothing to write about, because everyone is happy.

I needed to put my main character through the ringer but like you I felt bad about it.  The miracle of the technological healing tank helped sooth my malicious ego.  Its all a matter of no pain no gain, at the point survival equates 'eventually' being able to fix the damage.

If my character wants to walk off set and go ride out the rest of his days on a farm that's entirely up to him but if he's willing to stick it out.  Crippled, maimed, burnt, etc its 'mostly' his choice how much he's willing to put himself through along the way.  Sure bad things will happen to 'other' people if you play it safe and stand aside but you should be fine... sadly he's too much of a hero to stand by more than just occasionally.

However he is a real enough every day type that true humility makes him 'foolishly' believe that he's just another guy and that everything doesn't rest on his shoulders.  Moron huh?  I mean he's the hero so why is he surprised that when he declares, 'they said they were going to deal with it they're legitimate I'm not!' and stands aside, that everything goes in the toilet for other people and he's left picking up the pieces.

mwahahahahah

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »

Just watch all of Buffy and Angel, or Firefly and then Serenity.  It won't make you mean, but it'll give you a quick dose of appreciation of the emotional impact you can generate by doing things to your characters.  As well as a lesson on how to balance it.  (I love the BBC series "Spooks", but you can frequently tell when they're about to kill off a main character or sympathetic guest by their tendency to do these long, lingering scenes which make the watcher say "wait... why are they dragging this out?"