Author Topic: What places in history would you DFRP in?  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What places in history would you DFRP in?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 01:17:22 AM »
Personally, I like just staying well out of the way of continuity. It's usually doable without great difficulty, IME.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 01:18:49 AM »
Personally, I like just staying well out of the way of continuity. It's usually doable without great difficulty, IME.
^ that too

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 01:19:44 AM »
@Deadmanwalking
Do you avoid the situations where you might cross it (such as playing a game in Chicago) or do you bend continuity to suit your games (or some combination)?

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »
Could be a lot of fun playing in any of these time periods. But if I'm going to add something, I'd have to say it would be intriguing to play in a game set a bit in the future. Couple hundred years from now, standard sci-fi progressions, with orbital industries and enclosed colonies on the moon and Mars. Figure the Nevernever pretty much just follows humans wherever they go but it might make faerie a bit different away from Earth. Also be kind of interesting to see vamps and other nonhumans try to hide in a large enclosed offworld colony.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »
@Lanir
I certainly feel the Dresden-verse supports the ever changing technological landscape in game. I agree that it would be very interesting to see how the metaphysical and supernatural evolve as time goes on as well.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »
@Deadmanwalking
Do you avoid the situations where you might cross it (such as playing a game in Chicago) or do you bend continuity to suit your games (or some combination)?

Mostly the first. It only cuts me off from one city, after all. The second doesn't really seem necessary mostly, I mean, I insert events that are not done in continuity, but in ways that don't actually conflict with continuity.

For example, in my first Vegas game, the main villains were Ursiel and Saluriel...but this was contemporary with the period around Small Favor, so them having gotten away from the Church and loose in Vegas but then recaptured again (though not by the Church, actually), did nothing to harm anything timeline-wise. It's not a noted event in canon...but it doesn't interfere with canon either.And I can easily make it fit with almost any new canon that comes up.

I do stuff like that.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 02:48:51 AM »
@Deadmanwalking
Not a bad approach when playing in someone elses sandbox. I don't feel like it'll be a problem because the Dresden-verse is mostly virgin territory. Only a fraction of the potential of the setting gets addressed in the source material.

And, if it ever was a problem well...the players game comes first. Even the game books tell you how to have a world without Harry Dresden (funny stuff!) if one were so inclined.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 02:52:41 AM »
Oh, totally. If it comes down to the good of the game, or canon, the good of the game wins. I just try and avoid having to choose.  :)

This is, as you note, usually not that hard, what with the 'virgin territory' thing.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 02:54:13 AM »
Agreed!

Offline Wyntonian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 05:19:49 AM »
Really, I'd be fine with just about anywhen. The more creative the better, really. Maybe North Africa during WWII, or the Pacific Theater, like the Philippines. Filipino resistance guerrilla, witch doctor/channeller, stranded american bomber pilot and a Spanish missionary fighting a rogue Japanese unit lead by a Denarian/necromancer/whatever... I'd play that.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 02:40:11 PM »
A lot of it depends on where you are from.

So for me.
WW2
Spanish American War (Teddy Roosevelt!)
Civil War
Texas Revolution
War of 1812
American Revolution.
Salem Witch Trials
Magna Carta
The Crucifixion
Ancient Rome
King Arthur era (The First Merlin)

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »
The Dark Ages could be interesting, loss of lore and technology and a struggle against the supernatural elements who want to keep it that way.

Offline Couchman

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Couchman's Corner
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 02:15:21 AM »
I'm starting a game set during WW2, which presents some really cool options. The Wild West would also be a lot of fun.
World's most comfortable superhero/comic reviewer

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 03:00:33 AM »
How about the opening salvo of the Oblivion War?

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 03:38:58 AM »
High Renaissance into the Enlightenment would be my choice, for swashbuckling goodness. Not just the dueling, though duels of honor have always been a thing I delight in in games, but there's just a certain kind of madcap adventure that really only makes sense in contexts like Dumas' writing.