Author Topic: Alternative Uses for Sponsored Magic Rules  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Uses for Sponsored Magic Rules
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 04:40:52 AM »
Lavecki ninja'ed me. Evothaum is shorthand for "Thaumaturgy at evocation's speed and methods". A Sponsored Magic for State Alchemists might be appropriate. The Ice Alchemist used some kind of ritual to create the icebergs, so that would be covered under Thaumaturgy. Direct-attacks like Flame Alchemy could be covered under Evocation. I'd have to rewatch Brotherhood if I wanted to get more in-depth with it.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 04:42:43 AM »
I'd use the Supernatural Martial Arts Power for a lot of anime stuff.

There's also a Teleportation Power that might be worth checking out for this Maoyuu person.

I have to say I'm pretty surprised how the term Evothaum has entered common use around here.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 04:48:30 AM »
Lavecki ninja'ed me. Evothaum is shorthand for "Thaumaturgy at evocation's speed and methods". A Sponsored Magic for State Alchemists might be appropriate. The Ice Alchemist used some kind of ritual to create the icebergs, so that would be covered under Thaumaturgy. Direct-attacks like Flame Alchemy could be covered under Evocation. I'd have to rewatch Brotherhood if I wanted to get more in-depth with it.

I remember someone said EvoThaum before for that aspect of Sponsored Magic, but I'm not as well versed in the Custom Powers Threads as I'd like to be, so I wasn't certain if this was a new power of not.

As for FMA, I think you can see where the tossup is. Making it Sponsored Magic for EvoThaum works, but at the same time, it could theoretically work with the current magic system as-is.

I'd use the Supernatural Martial Arts Power for a lot of anime stuff.

There's also a Teleportation Power that might be worth checking out for this Maoyuu person.

I have to say I'm pretty surprised how the term Evothaum has entered common use around here.

I'll have to dig through the list to look those up. Thanks!

These house rules were linked in another thread of yours and I think they fit really well for this.
I know you've seen these before, but I really can't think of anything better than them.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,24744.msg1084269.html#msg1084269

You just write up a character sheet for a servant and the rules cover just about everything for a Type-Moon servant.

The only things not really listed in that are custom powers and Noble Phatasms, which is something I'm working on now. But I'm just gonna set it up as a X cost power since it'll be a few refresh, it doesn't matter if it's not perfectly statted out by the time you summon them.

It's what I'm using for Saber in my game. Then you can just decide that the Holy Grail reduces the cost to a much lower level and such for their first servant if you so choose.

I remember having those rules linked in my Summoning/Binding discussion. I bookmarked them to read at a later time and it never happened (I blame work). I'll have to look them over and see.

My only objection is that it sounds like it basically lets the player run two characters over the course of the game session, which may be a bit unwieldy in larger groups.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Oblyss

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 05:00:58 AM »

I remember having those rules linked in my Summoning/Binding discussion. I bookmarked them to read at a later time and it never happened (I blame work). I'll have to look them over and see.

My only objection is that it sounds like it basically lets the player run two characters over the course of the game session, which may be a bit unwieldy in larger groups.
No worries, I am currently in finals so I am unable to do all kinds of stuff. We've skipped like 3 game sessions 3 weeks in a row now.

And that is true, though there's ways to reduce problems caused by this, and yeah. It might be a problem for a larger group. My group has a crazy small amount of players so it's not an issue. There's ways to reduce the problem of this, which even my small group is doing. Like my Saber is going by the book on her character type, so she's going to be all honor and such. Where as my character is more of "Dr Doom" honor, I guess that varies depending on the book too, but short answer: not very much. It'll probably come up a few times, will have to see. Though luckily my character has a boss in line with Saber's personality, so they won't be constantly sent out to do stuff she'd refuse to do.

Anyway, there's not a lot of fixes for this kind of thing really, I'd think, if you're worried about bigger groups. Servants are strong and here's my suggestion. Have the PC's all play mundane mortals or weak magic users, then give those mortals a servant that 10 refresh based on those house rules. The mortals wouldn't really be involved in the combat outside of being targets for others.

Second option: Have some players play Masters, and others play the Servants. Odd men out could possibly play both or something or some abnormality like a servant with no master, Archer is a good one for this without something really off the wall, though there is of course many examples of "rule breakers".

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 06:47:13 AM »
No worries, I am currently in finals so I am unable to do all kinds of stuff. We've skipped like 3 game sessions 3 weeks in a row now.

And that is true, though there's ways to reduce problems caused by this, and yeah. It might be a problem for a larger group. My group has a crazy small amount of players so it's not an issue. There's ways to reduce the problem of this, which even my small group is doing. Like my Saber is going by the book on her character type, so she's going to be all honor and such. Where as my character is more of "Dr Doom" honor, I guess that varies depending on the book too, but short answer: not very much. It'll probably come up a few times, will have to see. Though luckily my character has a boss in line with Saber's personality, so they won't be constantly sent out to do stuff she'd refuse to do.

Anyway, there's not a lot of fixes for this kind of thing really, I'd think, if you're worried about bigger groups. Servants are strong and here's my suggestion. Have the PC's all play mundane mortals or weak magic users, then give those mortals a servant that 10 refresh based on those house rules. The mortals wouldn't really be involved in the combat outside of being targets for others.

Second option: Have some players play Masters, and others play the Servants. Odd men out could possibly play both or something or some abnormality like a servant with no master, Archer is a good one for this without something really off the wall, though there is of course many examples of "rule breakers".

I was contemplating using the Master-Servant idea for one of the anime games, but I think it may put too much strain on the "You have to obey me" scenario, and not all players are keen on that.

Perhaps the idea of the weaker mortals with Sponsored Magic: Holy Grail wouldn't be a bad idea. . .

Oh, and as for your comment on Noble Phantasms: I'd split it between individual powers (Archer's Unlimited Blade Works and Gilgamesh's Gate of Babylon as Reality Marbles/Sponsored  Magic), Items of Power (the spears Lancer uses, for example, or even the scabbard Avalon) and Enchanted Items (the use of Excalibur or Enuma Elish being akin to a high-powered attack roll like those given to Warden Swords).
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden