Author Topic: Blood contagion - Mab's rule against spilling blood (cd spoilers)  (Read 15442 times)

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I am wondering if Mab’s rule against spilling blood at Arctis Tor is not simple court protocol. Here is the relevant scene - from Cold Days (hardback ed.) at 59:

A large ruby droplet fell from her lip and hung in the air, shining and perfect, and there for half of forever. Then it finally splashed down onto the icy floor.

There was a shrieking hiss as the blood hit the supernatural ice, a sound somewhere between a hot skillet and a high-pressure industrial accident. The ice beneath the drop of blood shattered, as if the droplet had been unimaginably heavy, and a web of dark cracks shot out for fifty feet in every direction.

The music stopped. The Redcap froze. So did everyone else.

Mab rose out of her chair, and somehow in that instant of action she crossed the distance from her high seat, as though the simple act of standing up were what propelled her to the space nearby. As she came, the pallid finery of her dress darkened to a raven black, as if the air had contained a fine mist of ink. Her hair darkened as well to the same color and her eyes turned entirely black, sclera and all, as did her nails. The skin seemed to cling harder to her bones, making her beautiful features gaunt and terrible.

At first I thought the rule against bloodshed just dealt with the rules of hospitality. As host, Mab likely had to extend safety to her guests, so a rule against fighting was necessary to allow enemies to attend the same gathering. I thought Mab’s reaction was anger at having her rule thwarted. Neither the rule nor her reaction would have anything to do with Mab’s personal tastes; I doubt very much that she would be squeamish about a fight to the death at her party.

But if the rule is just about rules of hospitality, why not decree “no fighting”? Why the specific rule against blood? I think the blood is important in some specific way. Note the way even the ice reacted to the touch of blood—almost like some sort of shrieking alarm. And similar to the way the doors at Artis Tor reacted to Charity’s iron ax in Proven Guilty. It seems that Arctis Tor reacted to the blood as a poison the same way it did to iron.

Likewise, I don’t think Mab’s reaction to the blood was out of anger; I think it was involuntary. As mad as she was in SmF when she was talking to Harry at the hospital and made his eyes freeze, she did not turn black and have some sort of strain on her that made her skin stretch over her bones and her features gaunt. Though to a lesser degree, this description echoes what Mab looked like in Changes after she spent months, using all her strength to keep Harry alive at a terrible cost to herself.  Therefore, in Cold Days, I think the blood falling on the floor caused some sort of involuntary physical reaction in Mab. I am imagining it as something like an immune response; she was protecting herself against the blood.

Finally, the way Mab responded, by darkening to a black color as if pulling a fine mist of black ink out of the air sounds reminiscent of a couple different scenes from the series. It sounds like the way the Black Staff pulled out of Ebeneazer black tendrils of what I assume was taint from performing black magic. It also echoes the black inky mist like tendrils of the mordite mist-fiend, an outsider.

So….is it possible that Mab’s reaction was a built-in autoimmune response to the possibility of a contagion? Is it possible that Nemesis is a blood born contagion?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:21:33 AM by Cenphx »

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
Re: Blood contagion - Mab's rule against spilling blood (cd spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 03:40:30 AM »
Just one quick question: How did Lea get it from the Athame?
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:47:14 AM »
Just one quick question: How did Lea get it from the Athame?
My guess? When she used it during a ritual that involved blood at some point. That Lea's a fan of blood rituals. She used one with Harry when he ran to her for power to use against DuMorne.
I don't think all athame's are used as cutting instruments, maybe some are, some aren't.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:16:59 AM »
Hmm, interesting...

There's definitely something more complicated going on though.  CD isn't the first time that Mab has been involved directly with blood.
Quote from: SK Ch.2
The woman ran an opalescent fingernail through the blood on my desk.  She lifted it to her lips and idly touched it to her tongue.  She smiled, slower, more sensual, and every bit as alien.  "I have many names," she murmured.  "But you may call me Mab.  Queen of Air and Darkness.  Monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe."
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
Hmm, interesting...

There's definitely something more complicated going on though.  CD isn't the first time that Mab has been involved directly with blood.
yeah, I believe there was something important happening in the CD scene, but I may be way off base with the Nemesis contagion part. It feels like that scene is a puzzle piece but I don't know how or where it fits yet.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:39:38 AM »
yeah, I believe there was something important happening in the CD scene, but I may be way off base with the Nemesis contagion part. It feels like that scene is a puzzle piece but I don't know how or where it fits yet.
Mab does mention that she was considering risking a "great deal" on Harry, and she initially wants to try to have a soulgaze with him.  What if Mab was trying some tests to see if Harry was infected?  Mab may have given herself an acceptable chance of shaking off the Nemesis infection from a single drop of blood of a lowly mortal, if Mab found out that Harry was actually infected.

Assuming that blood makes a good vector for contamination, it makes sense for Mab to ban bloodshed in her stronghold.  Nemesis would only need to send in a sleeper agent to try to infect all of Mab's strongest subjects at once.  The reaction of the ice may be a purposeful alarm against such an attack.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline hassman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 04:41:08 AM »
without the book in front of me, I cannot answer this. 

How long has that rule been in place?  Has it only been in place since Maeve was infected? 
Possessor of a mind so twisted as to be actually sprained

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 04:43:35 AM »
Or, it might be that Blood contains a lot of Iron. Arctis Tor might be a construct made from her powers. One drop of iron rich blood has the same effect on the structure as Iron would have on any Fae. The breaking of the ice could have caused a power feedback that was painful to Mab.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline KrelianZG

• Posty McPostington
  • Temporary Catatonic Madman on Occasion
    • View Profile
    • KrelianZG's Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 04:44:59 AM »
without the book in front of me, I cannot answer this. 

How long has that rule been in place?  Has it only been in place since Maeve was infected? 

We don't know. First mentioned in CD. However, Sarissa's comments make it seem like it's been awhile. Dozens of years at the VERY least, I'd guess.

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 05:06:41 AM »
No bloodshed seems to be a common theme in older times as well though, though with the Celts it was that you didn't draw your blade except in the defence of your host.  Unless you were breaking the law that is.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Offline lleclair

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 05:42:37 AM »
When first reading it, i had assumed that the "No Blood" rule was just so Harry would be constrained in the shit storm that was coming.

After reading the book, i think she acted that way because it was Sarissa who was harmed, and i think Arctis Tor reacted that way because Sarissa shares Mab's blood.
I don't fail, i suceed in finding out what doesn't work. Christopher Titus

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 06:18:26 AM »
You know, Second Aristh, rereading your post about the scene from SK, I always read that as Mab being sadistic as well as proving her power over Harry, but what if the *point* was the blood that she then tasted? Was she checking for contagion? IIRC, thats the same book that Rashid talks about his doubts about Harry. AND the temple dogs at the council meeting alerted at Harry's hand like it was black magic or something. Then they decide it was just because of the injury. But what if they were also sniffing for contagion?            This is what I hate about nemesis--it could be anywhere. We just dont have enough info to do more than guess :(

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 07:00:45 AM »
Which is EXACTLY why Mr. Butcher put it in. :D
Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine

If you go to Chichen Itza....You will Die. -Rashid the Vorlon

"The Arctis Tor Rehab Centre
We have ways of making you walk." - shades of grey

Offline breck

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:31 AM »
When mab changed at harry's party, that was a great scene. We are going to be picking that party apart for clues for a long time. I like the idea that blood contains iron so no blood must be spilled. I also think we saw another aspect of mab, maybe even another mantle and that is as a judge of some type. We see the same look when she is summoned to demonreach by harry and maeve knows she is doomed when her mother appears. Maeve even says she knows she has been judged, sorry paraphrasing some there i believe i have it correctly. Winter law is harsh, the rule of not spilling blood at a courtly function is one i have heard of before, so i can believe it is just that a rule of courtesy, but as anything jim writes there are many interpretations and we may well look at it near the end of the series and see it as a huge clue, perhaps to nemesis infection, perhaps not. If it takes a blood ritual, perhaps drinking, i could see what the vampire courts would show the first signs, and it might even pave the way for people to be born infected. Kinda headed into left field with this so i am goin to stop there. The way jim writes though it would not surprise me to see the no bloodshed rules as being both a common courtesy as well as prevention of nemesis infection in one clue.

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »
So….is it possible that Mab’s reaction was a built-in autoimmune response to the possibility of a contagion? Is it possible that Nemesis is a blood born contagion?

Quote from: Fool Moon
I turned my back on the image, deliberately-before I could see it change into the Elaine that I had last seen-naked, festooned in swirling paints that lent a savage aura to her skin. Her lips had been stained brilliant, wet red, curving around twisting, rolling phrases as she chanted in the midst of her circle, its sigils meant to focus pain and fury into tangible power that had been used to hold a foolish young man helpless while his mentor offered him one last chance to sip from a chalice of fresh, hot blood.

:)
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files