Author Topic: Odin, Merlin, the Past, and the Future (CD Spoilers)  (Read 12134 times)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
Re: Odin, Merlin, the Past, and the Future (CD Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 09:38:07 PM »
My question is, what is Odin? He's supposed to be a god, wouldn't taking on a mantle of a fae be a downgrade for him? What does it mean to be a god in the DV? (lower case god, not the upper case one).

Also, if Santa is a mantle, then anyone, theoretically, can become Santa? (like those Tim Allen type movies.)

If Butters wasn't Jewish he'd make an interesting Santa (assuming Odin get's tired of the role). Andi would make an interesting Mrs. Claus.

the fae/ sidhe were gods themselves, of a much older and larger religion then the Norse ever were.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 05:47:04 AM »
Mantles come with power right? The mantle would be an addition to the beings current power, like the WK is to Harry's. Odin is a Norse god with alot of power. He took up the Santa mantle which added a tiny bit of power to him.
Rest in peace pinky toe. <Scary Voice> You shall be avenged!

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 05:51:30 AM »
For most of these beings I would imagine that the obligations that come with the mantle outweigh the power that comes with them.

It is possible that joining himself to Mab was part of Odin's motivation in taking up the mantle of Kringle.

wizard nelson

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 05:57:27 AM »
Mantles come with power right? The mantle would be an addition to the beings current power, like the WK is to Harry's. Odin is a Norse god with alot of power. He took up the Santa mantle which added a tiny bit of power to him.
tiny bit? dude think on the millions of kids who believe in santa. a belief that is intentionally given to each generation. kringle's mantle is buff. like lady buff all by itself minus any power already possessed by the weilder. quite frankly if kids were told santa was all powerful kringle would replace the WG. as it is kringle/odin knows of all mortal good deeds and misdeeds. thats nigh on omnisense.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
tiny bit? dude think on the millions of kids who believe in santa. a belief that is intentionally given to each generation. kringle's mantle is buff. like lady buff all by itself minus any power already possessed by the weilder. quite frankly if kids were told santa was all powerful kringle would replace the WG. as it is kringle/odin knows of all mortal good deeds and misdeeds. thats nigh on omnisense.

I think the power from belief is much smaller then the power from sacrifice; I haven't noticed superman or darth vader kicking down any doors in the DF lately. well, outside of my fan fic.  ;)
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
I think the power from belief is much smaller then the power from sacrifice; I haven't noticed superman or darth vader kicking down any doors in the DF lately. well, outside of my fan fic.  ;)

Well duh, Harry hasn't lost his legs and been burned yet :P.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »
Well duh, Harry hasn't lost his legs and been burned yet :P.

no, no, that's the lord of the dark sidhe...

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
no, no, that's the lord of the dark sidhe...

In due time Ms Duck.

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
I meant tiny in comparison to the power he already has
Rest in peace pinky toe. <Scary Voice> You shall be avenged!

wizard nelson

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 07:23:38 PM »
i'd argue not as many people believe in vader as 'purely' as santa. they have hope and really want him to be real but not true belief. besides vader could exist but never be seen because he doesn't have anything to do with earth in his mythos so showing up is impossible. or he could've been created and immediately tried to step beyond the gates and conquer the galaxy to fullfill his role. insta-scrap pile.
thats still a really good point on odins power as kringle, explains his great information pool.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 01:31:42 AM »
I find your theories unlikely because:

1) This WoJ doesn't seem to fit:

:  Is the original Merlin still alive?
A:  Kind of… life… death… it’s kind of a squishy line in the Dresdenverse.

Odin seems quite clearly alive.

2) We learned that Odin was the one who taught the Merlin. Now I can't for the life of me remember where we learned this but I do remember it (help guys?). Odin being a close mentor of the Merlin also explains a number of your points.

Now I'm sure you could get around both of these points in some twisty way but that just seems overcomplicated.

The "eye" references are a pretty interesting find though. Kudos on that  :).

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,36681.0.html

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,36689.0.html

Here you go. I think.

WOOHOOO! I WAS RIGHT!  ;D.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 01:37:43 AM »
We learned that Vadderung taught Merlin from Ebenezar at the end of changes.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

wizard nelson

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 01:39:04 AM »
2) We learned that Odin was the one who taught the Merlin. Now I can't for the life of me remember where we learned this but I do remember it (help guys?). Odin being a close mentor of the Merlin also explains a number of your points.
eb told harry this, in changes iirc. could you adress the fact merlins history is from earliest 4th A.D. to (iirc) the 'romanticised' version around 9-11 A.D. were as odin worship was 11 to 13 A.D. this seems odd to me. jim twists mythology to suit his purpose of course but i don't see him intentionally skewing the timeline or blundering on the classics.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 01:44:40 AM »
eb told harry this, in changes iirc. could you adress the fact merlins history is from earliest 4th A.D. to (iirc) the 'romanticised' version around 9-11 A.D. were as odin worship was 11 to 13 A.D. this seems odd to me. jim twists mythology to suit his purpose of course but i don't see him intentionally skewing the timeline or blundering on the classics.

Meh, myths are a huge gloopy insane mess at the best of times. I can see Jim messing with the timeline a bit.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

wizard nelson

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 01:48:04 AM »
Meh, myths are a huge gloopy insane mess at the best of times. I can see Jim messing with the timeline a bit.
odins rise as the all father isn't really a myth though. its a historical event backed by a religious faith. its pretty solid. plus this would make the council much too young.