Author Topic: WAG of fate. spoilers!  (Read 14910 times)

wizard nelson

WAG of fate. spoilers!
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »
so been doing a lil mythological search and analyzing the KC signing (special thanks to  KrelianZG) and came up with a few idea's. lets start with nemesis. in mythology nemesis was the divine spirit of retribution, described as
The Greeks personified vengeful fate as a remorseless goddess
well respected and older than zeus. she(its a she) is also attributed negative aspects though like
Nemesis believed that no one should ever have too much good, and she had always cursed those who were blessed with countless gifts.

Nemesis, winged balancer of life,
dark-faced goddess, daughter of Justice,
and mentioned her "adamantine bridles" that restrain "the frivolous insolences of mortals."
  finally she has been described as abstract disease
"Also deadly Nyx bore Nemesis an affliction to mortals subject to death."
moving on....

so now on to the 3 fates. they are described
assigned to every being by eternal laws might take its course without obstruction. The gods and men had to submit to them,

the three Moirai(fates) are personified, and are acting over the gods.
this jives with a woj about everybody listening to MS for fear of MWs' shears. fyi athropos is the name of the fate in charge of using the shears to "end" a fate(death... even for gods) MS is likely clotho, in charge of spinning life and choosing the time for things to enter this world. much as MS with her jar of wormwood(?). so the fates basically have dominance over every being in existence, besides outside beings.
 but what about the third fate Lachesis, the measurer of destiny?

Lachesis i think is
(click to show/hide)
now here is were the leap of faith is, bare with me as i try to explain. by nemesis i do mean the nemesis in DF is in fact one and the same as the godess of vengence. the advesary is a generic term applied were as nemesis is an aspect of the deity, something said with more caution as it could draw attention, much as saying mab(not her true name btw) can draw her notice unintentionally. so i think nemesis/lachesis became bitter towards humans and split from the others seeking umm, revenge? much as other higher ups envy us and our 'free will'(satan). nemesis is working with the outsiders (possible semi-possessed of one in her head, of, not by) for grudge reasons against her sisters and knowing humans are the core of our reality(extrapolated from KC signing) seeking total destruction.

so nemesis/lachesis is afflicting immortals and changing their "destiny" or the core things that make them who and what they are, letting sidhe violate their usual nature lie and break oaths(leas' fealty). as a fate she would have jurisdiction over any being 'alive' and from my opinion on lachesis the 'stasis' of reality.

finally, to be starborn. this part is more or less independent of all earlier postulations. starborn are born under certain star conjunctions right? to be born when certain aspects hold sway. i think that this aspect from the stars places harry with his foot half in half out of reality.(the stars are WAY outside our reality sphere) meaning fate cannot act directly to choose his path and he has the ability to defy the natural order of things. being partially  outside empowers him to effect outside things or have power over them others do not. this makes him immune to nemesis and a fulcrum as he can directly alter the course of events within his power instead of just 'playing out' the scenes he was destined to appear in(note destiny doesn't violate the concept of free will, i will try toexplain if i must)
umm i could probably explain or elaborate more but this good for now.

Topic spliced together and minor formatting tweaks done by curator per permission granted here -Serack
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:28:12 AM by Serack »

wizard nelson

Re: closed for renovations
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »
The spoiler code in the first 4 replies is for condensation purposes, not for actual hiding of spoilers -Serack

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:54:34 AM by Serack »

wizard nelson

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:17 AM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:30:05 AM by Serack »

wizard nelson

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:30:36 AM by Serack »

wizard nelson

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:30:53 AM by Serack »

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: WAG of fate. spoilers!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
Very cool idea, but remember: the only time you should split a post into multiple parts is if it goes over the character limit.  In addition to reducing general clutter, this makes it easier for folks to reply to your ideas.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:50 PM »
Very cool idea, but remember: the only time you should split a post into multiple parts is if it goes over the character limit.  In addition to reducing general clutter, this makes it easier for folks to reply to your ideas.

It's a problem with PS3 posting in general rather than a choice on Nelson's part, the PS3 imposes a limit on just how much you can say in one post.

"Malice slithered up my spine and danced in spiteful shivers over the back of my neck. I could sense the thing's hostility — not just the mindless anger of a fellow boy I'd needled beyond self-restraint, or Justin's cold, logical rage. This was something different, something vaster, more timeless, and deeper than any ocean. It was a poisonous hate, something so ancient, so vile, that it could almost kill without any other action or being to support it, a hate so old and virulent that it had curdled and congealed over its surface into a stinking, staggering contempt.

This thing wanted to destroy me. It wanted to hurt me. It wanted to enjoy the process. And nothing I said, nothing I did, would, ever, ever change that. I was something to be eradicated, preferably in some amusing fashion. It had no mercy. It had no fear. And it was old, old beyond my ability to comprehend. It was patient. And if I proved to disappointing to it, I would only break through the veneer of that contempt — and what lay underneath would dissolve me like the deadliest acid. I felt...stained, simply by feeling its presence, stained as if it had left some hideous imprint or mark on me, one that could not be wiped away.

And then it was behind me, so close it could almost touch, its outline towering over me, huge and horrible.

And it leaned down. A forked tongue slithered out from between its horrible shark-chain-saw teeth, and it whispered in a perfectly low, calm, British accent, "What you have just sensed is as close as your mind can come to encompassing my name. How do you do?"

For example, this quote from Ghost Story took 3 posts on a PS3 to fit when I typed it up.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:55:15 PM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
Interesting theorie, especially on the Starborn part.

Consider that Mab became the Winter Queen in the time the last starborn walked the earth.. And that is the same time probability says it became Mab responsability to guard the outergate.. It means that the Starborn at the time did something that changed the current guardians...

On another subject? Is there somewhere where the KC interview is posted entirely?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 03:56:28 PM »
Interesting theorie, especially on the Starborn part.

Consider that Mab became the Winter Queen in the time the last starborn walked the earth.. And that is the same time probability says it became Mab responsability to guard the outergate.. It means that the Starborn at the time did something that changed the current guardians...

On another subject? Is there somewhere where the KC interview is posted entirely?

There's bits me and Krel have typed up all over the place (mostly Krel), we'll probably get around to making a complete compilation eventually.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 04:02:07 PM »
Only problem is that the original Nemesis was clearly in the Greek pantheon and thus among the "old gods" to which the texts have made multiple references. Or are you postulating Outsiders spending enough time on Earth in the classical era to earn reputations as gods alongside the "regular" pantheon?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline jb2point0

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
Only problem is that the original Nemesis was clearly in the Greek pantheon and thus among the "old gods" to which the texts have made multiple references. Or are you postulating Outsiders spending enough time on Earth in the classical era to earn reputations as gods alongside the "regular" pantheon?

It's not out of the question that Outsiders can be banished to beyond the gates during any point in history. Though, that then begs the question, why does DR exist, if undesirable immortals can be sent beyond the gates.
Sharing Jim Butcher's initials since 1987.

HHWBeh
HHWBef
HWGTW500MTHGTW500MJTBTHWW1000MTFDAYD

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »
It's not out of the question that Outsiders can be banished to beyond the gates during any point in history. Though, that then begs the question, why does DR exist, if undesirable immortals can be sent beyond the gates.

Not sure that follows from my comment. I was questioning the basic concept that Nemesis could have been an Outsider all along, and only peripherally whether an Outsider can stay for long in our world. Also, "immortal" does not equate to "Outsider".
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
Take your theory and apply Hesiod's opinion that Nemesis was actually the daughter of Nyx (Not Zeus).  Then plug in that Nyx is actually Mother Winter...and you have a problem child (one of many, by the way).  You, also, have Mother Winter as the oldest of the old, and  the mother of the fates (as well as a whole collection of conditions...including death, doom, sleep, old age, friendship, love, etc...).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:53:56 PM by GrandPanjandrum »
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »
Take your theory and apply Hesiod's opinion that Nemesis was actually the daughter of Nyx (Not Zeus).  Then plug in that Nyx is actually Mother Winter...and you have a problem child (one of many, by the way).  You, also, have Mother Winter as the oldest of the old, and  the mother of the fates (as well as a whole collection of conditions...including death, doom, sleep, old age, friendship, love, etc...).
  Which explains why it seems to be Winter's lot to hold back and clean up the mess of one of her children.

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »
  Which explains why it seems to be Winter's lot to hold back and clean up the mess of one of her children.

I think you could make a pretty good argument that Mother Winter was behind the construction of Demonreach (if she's Nyx)  since she used to have a home in Tartarus.  It might, also, be the reason Harry needs to go to Hades, since Tartarus is Hades' basement. 
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.