Author Topic: Internal Magic  (Read 1603 times)

Offline voidronin

• Participant
    • View Profile
Internal Magic
« on: January 29, 2013, 02:59:39 AM »
My gaming group an I are just starting to build a DFRPG campaign. We are still reading the core game book (some of us several times) to figure out the rules. One of my group mates has an idea of using magic internally, think adept from Shadowrun or anime style fighting characters. We will be setting the campaign in Tokyo so the eastern/ anime style thing could work thematically. We just can seem to figure out how magic would work.

Has anyone tinkered with using magic to temporarily augment physical or mental skills/ arbitrates mimicking supernatural powers (strength, wall walking, ninja vanish, ect).? I think is more of a long term potion effect but with the flex-ability of normal spell casting. There was also talk of using complex hand signs (Naruto style) as an augment to "focus items" which would also allow the bonus to be interrupted/ canceled.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Internal Magic
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:12:05 AM »
There are two ways to do this:

#1: But Inhuman Speed, Strength, etc. Possibly add in Feeding Dependency (Magical Energy). Say that these powers are from using magic internally. You are now done.

#2: Buy Channeling (Spirit) or Evocation and flavor it's usages as mystical physical enhancements. Maybe take a compel to not use it at range when that would be useful.

Either of these can be combined with Ritual (Biomancy), or with each other for cool synergy, both mechanical and thematic.

That's all there is to it, really, I can do an example build or two if you like.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 03:19:37 AM »

#1: But Inhuman Speed, Strength, etc. Possibly add in Feeding Dependency (Magical Energy). Say that these powers are from using magic internally. You are now done.

#2: Buy Channeling (Spirit) or Evocation and flavor it's usages as mystical physical enhancements. Maybe take a compel to not use it at range when that would be useful.

Either of these can be combined with Ritual (Biomancy), or with each other for cool synergy, both mechanical and thematic.

That's all there is to it, really, I can do an example build or two if you like.
Basically if you want the magic completely internal then your best move is going to be using the building block powers like Inhuman Speed, or Strength, etc.  Maybe attach it to something like Human Form for a slight rebate and to show it's not always on.  Using Modular Abilities, or Shapeshifting powers in general can also be used to do this to good effect as well and can allow you to switch the focus of what you're magically supercharging, like your Strength, or your Recovery.

If you really want to go the actual magic route, then biomancy and psychomancy, or thaumaturgy (if you want both cheap) can boost the things you want by creating maneuvers to tag or invoke for effect and to set up skill replacement spells, or temporary powers (You pay FP for those though).  In combat internalized magic can be represented by any of the elements via Channeling and you could just use the narrative to explain how it's internal.  For instance say you channel Fire, well roll the attack and say you punched the guy with a super heated fist instead of chucking a fireball.  Same goes for any of the other Channeling action options.

A good thing to keep in mind is that the narrative can fix a lot of your problems that the mechanics didn't seem to.

Darn, ninjaed.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:43:12 AM »

I'd probably use Human Form instead of Feeding Dependency, if I was sticking to canon Powers.

Some people use Modular Abilities for stuff like this.

A form of Sponsored Magic might be appropriate as well.

Custom Powers to look at:

Supernatural Martial Arts, Magical Self-Enhancement, Limitation, Variable Abilities, Alternate Magical Paradigm, Natural Weaponry, Superhuman Acrobatics, Eight Gates Released Formation, Might Over Magic.

(They're all on the list. Which is searchable, fortunately.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 07:41:15 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:01:11 AM »
I'd probably use Human Form instead of Feeding Dependency, if I was sticking to canon Powers.

Either or both are appropriate depending on what you're aiming for.

Some people use Modular Abilities for stuff like this.

Definitely a valid option if you can enhance multiple things to varying degrees.

A form of Sponsored Magic might be appropriate as well.

Definitely possible, though I'd go with that being just another form of my #2 for the most part.

Custom Powers to look at:

Supernatural Martial Arts, Magical Self-Enhancement, Limitation, Variable Abilities, Alternate Magical Paradigm, Natural Weaponry, Superhuman Acrobatics, Eight Gates Released Formation, Might Over Magic.

(They're all on the list. Which is searchable, fortunately.)

If doing custom powers, absolutely.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 04:09:16 AM »
If going the custom powers route, I did that with one of my characters. here is the link to him.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 04:21:14 AM »
I'd probably go with Modular abilities+Human Form. 

Offline Viktyr Gehrig

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:49 PM »
Depending on the amount of Refresh you had to work with, I'd probably look at the following powers:

• Inhuman Strength/Speed/Toughness/Recovery
  • Breath Weapon (Chi Blast)
  • Spirit Channeling (Big Chi Blast)
  • Biomantic Ritual
I'm not really familiar with the big list of custom powers.