Author Topic: Mechanics Questions About Evocation Blocking/Armor and Enchanting  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Auspice

• Participant
    • View Profile
(Sorry if this has been covered.  I'm new to the forums and couldn't find an answer.)

First, with Evocation blocks/armor does the end of a round take an exchange even if nothing connected or will the spell persist until the end of the scene?  The example in OW p.259 seems to imply that it does despite my initial thoughts of the spell lasting the scene.

Second, are Evocation blocks and Evocation armors two completely different spells?  Normally this isn't an issue because OW p.260 talks about changing the spell, but this has caused a debate over enchanted items.  Does this mean that if a PC made an item identical to Harry's Duster (OW p.303) it can only be an Armor:2 item with 3x uses or can that be changed at any time during combat to have a Block:4 instead?

We are trying to fully understand every aspect of the system before introducing house rules, so any specific references from the books or an administrator (AFTER the final version was released) would be very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:39:16 AM by Auspice »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics Questions About Evocation Blocking/Armor and Enchanting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
A block (spell or mundane both) lasts one exchange, which means it will go away, once you take your next action (which can be another block, of course). I have to admit, I've been pretty dissatisfied with that myself, and I think there was something in the fate core thread about it, a new way to do a spell like that, but that's nothing official yet.

Blocks and armor are two sides of the same spell. A block replaces your dodge roll, while armor reduces the stress you take once you are hit. Enchanted items are enchanted in advance, and you decide on how to employ the spell when you create the item (YS279). That means, that you have to decide if it is a block or armor, you can't change it around once it's decided. You can change your enchanted items at milestones though, so if you are not satisfied with how it turned out, you can switch it there (or at the GMs discretion, of course). If it is a normal spell, you can decide if it is a block or armor when you cast it.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Auspice

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
Again, thank you.  This has been very helpful.

Offline Auspice

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »
A block (spell or mundane both) lasts one exchange, which means it will go away, once you take your next action (which can be another block, of course).

Ok, this brings up another question I just thought of.  Let's say you cast a block with 4 exchanges.
Round 1: The block is cast and you are attacked.  (It tings off.)
Round 2: You take an action (maybe casting a Fuego or something).  Then you are attacked again and it tings off yet again.
Have you just used two exchanges because of the two attacks or three exchanges which would be the two plus your one action?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
An exchange is the measure of time, in which each participant in a conflict has one action. The duration of a spell is measured in exchanges as well, but it starts and finishes on the casters turn instead of with the exchange.

A attacks B
B attacks D
C casts Shield spell -- 4 exchanges left on the Spell
D attacks C -- block holds
-- 1. exchange over --
A attacks D
B attacks C -- block holds
C attacks D -- 3 exchanges left on the Spell
D attacks B
-- 2. exchange over --
A attacks B
C attacks D -- 2 exchanges left on the Spell
D attacks C -- block holds
-- 3. exchange over --
A attacks C -- block holds
C attacks D -- 1 exchanges left on the Spell
D attacks A
-- 4. exchange over --
A attacks B
C attacks D -- Spell expired
D attacks C -- The block is gone, C has to roll to dodge
-- 5. exchange over --

Of course, if any of the attacks before had been higher than the block, it would have broken the spell earlier.

Offline Auspice

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:50:55 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I always interpreted "exchange" as an attack hits it.  Is this the fourth "thank you" I owe?  I've lost count.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »
Just glad to help :)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
Blocks and armor are two sides of the same spell. A block replaces your dodge roll, while armor reduces the stress you take once you are hit. Enchanted items are enchanted in advance, and you decide on how to employ the spell when you create the item (YS279). That means, that you have to decide if it is a block or armor, you can't change it around once it's decided. You can change your enchanted items at milestones though, so if you are not satisfied with how it turned out, you can switch it there (or at the GMs discretion, of course). If it is a normal spell, you can decide if it is a block or armor when you cast it.

This is not universally agreed upon, indeed, the game's creators do it the other way (ie: you're allowed to use an item as either Block or Armor on a per-usage basis).

Check here if you don't believe me.

Haru's pretty much right on everything else, though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:54:42 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Auspice

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »
Ha!  My friend and I seem to have inadvertently stumbled upon a debate that even takes place on the forums.  He gave me links like that before but there is another factor to consider.  These posts were written BEFORE the final draft came out.  There were some other similar ideas like taking a mental stress to get one more use out of an enchanted item, but those didn't last.  The big question is that does the opinion of Iago still apply now?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »
The mental stress thing is indisputably an official rule, actually (see p. 280, the top paragraph). And that post by Iago was pre-final version but post-rules change...so I'd say it's very likely to still be in force.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »
The mental stress thing is indisputably an official rule, actually (see p. 280, the top paragraph). And that post by Iago was pre-final version but post-rules change...so I'd say it's very likely to still be in force.

Yeah, the extra uses for 1 mental stress is one of the things which make having a dedicated Enchanted Item better than a Potion if it's something you use a lot.  Potions do benefit from being able to be boosted by FP and aspects though.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 03:54:29 PM »
This is not universally agreed upon, indeed, the game's creators do it the other way (ie: you're allowed to use an item as either Block or Armor on a per-usage basis).

Check here if you don't believe me.
Hmm, had to read it twice, but it actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »
Hmm, had to read it twice, but it actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

No problem, happy to be of assistance.  :)

Offline Auspice

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
Well shut my mouth.  Looks like my friend was right about this one.