Author Topic: References to Yeats' The Second Coming and the BAT (CD spoilers)  (Read 10774 times)

wizard nelson

Re: References to Yeats' The Second Coming and the BAT (CD spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 09:09:39 PM »
From the last page of Storm Front, 227 in the Wizard for Hire omnibus edition.

The world is getting weirder.  Darker every single day.  Things are spinning around faster and faster, and threatening to go completely awry.  Falcons and falconers.  The center cannot hold.

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have the Dresdenverse's earliest Second Coming reference.
not an english buff, never read yeats, but that page seemed odder than heck when i read it.

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 10:14:56 PM »
         When I read the end of CD and Maeve mentions that she will not be Mab’s falcon anymore, I realized that it was at least the third similar reference I felt like I could remember reading in TDF. I knew that there was some poem out there about how the center cannot hold and things fall apart, about entropy and the end of the world. Finally I decided to figure it out. Here is the poem—it’s from William Butler Yeats and it’s titled “The Second Coming”:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Doesn't this sound like it could be applied to the DF apocalpyse? I’m no Yeats scholar, but in a bit of googling I came across the fact that Yeats spent years crafting an elaborate, mystical theory of the universe. This theory issued in part from Yeats’s lifelong fascination with the occult and mystical. He believed that history can be laid out as two conical spirals, one inside the other, so that the widest part of one of the spirals rings around the narrowest part of the other spiral, and vice versa. Yeats believed that this image (he called the spirals “gyres”) captured the contrary motions inherent in history. Yeats believed that the world was on the threshold of an apocalypse, as history reached the end of the outer gyre and began moving along the inner gyre. In other words, the world’s trajectory along the gyre of science and democracy was coming apart, like the frantically widening flight of the falcon that has lost contact with the falconer; the next age will take its character not from the gyre of science and democracy, but something else entirely and opposite. Of course, the poem was written around 1921 and so likely had more to do with WW1 than predicting the DF apocalypse to come  :D, but it’s kind of cool to think about the possibility that Yeats, like the DF version of Stoker and Lovecraft, may have understood more than the rest of the world.

Also, rather than just being a sad echo of my days as an english major, I started this thread to see if anyone picked up on these or other references. IIRC, Murphy said something to Harry in SF or FM about how the center cannot hold. I think Harry mentions “falcons and falconers” at some point, but I have no idea where. And then we have Maeve in CD telling Mab she will not be her falcon anymore.

Are there anymore potential “The Second Coming” references in the Dresden Files? Anyone care to formulate a WAG about Yeats being prophetic??

That's so cool.  8)
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 10:28:17 PM »
Thanks for this thread.  The first half dozen lines of the poem were familiar to me but I am not sure that I had read the entire thing before.

I wonder if Yeats was the first in literature to use the phrase 'the center can not hold' or if he was referencing something older.  I have seen the concept referenced all over the place - I would have guessed that it was a much older phrase.

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 03:03:33 AM »
I wonder if Yeats was the first in literature to use the phrase 'the center can not hold' or if he was referencing something older.  I have seen the concept referenced all over the place - I would have guessed that it was a much older phrase.

I don't think Yeats was referencing anything earlier, and I used to be pretty well up on this,  Making up things that sound so right you believe they've always been around is the mark of a great poet; a really remarkable number of common English phrases were made up from whole cloth by Shakespeare.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Jersey

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy  --Ben Franklin

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »
Thanks for the props! :)

And I know that everyone does multiple rereads of the series, so if anyone comes across other references like these, will you come back here and post them? I will add them into the opening post like I did when marc baggins found the quote for the first reference. I’ll keep an eye out too…

Offline Cyberchihuahua

• Conversationalist
  • Lft. WMC_Cyberchihuahua
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 05:17:01 AM »
"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer"

Maeve had stopped listening to Mab, and started listening to Nemesis.

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world"

Sums up Cowl nicely, Nemesis as well.

"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned"

The Fomor stealing innocent practitioners, those with a magical bloodline.

You could find parallels throughout, but I would also add that Harry has often been referred to as a fulcrum, or "In the center", directing the turn of events.
Moo!

DV Cyberchihuahua V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP++ JB- TH+ WG++ CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH [Murphy++]   currently...

No Changes, know peace! Know Changes, no peace!

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 05:36:54 AM »
Either that or Harry read Yeats.

That was what I thought when I read the end of Storm Front.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

wizard nelson

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:50 AM »
"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world"
actually that should refer to earth and its sphere of reality having anarchy loosed upon it. as we should know if we've been reading our wojs' earth is the center of the dresdenverse. funny choice of words, Mere. like its merely anarchy?

wizard nelson

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
 When I read the end of CD and Maeve mentions that she will not be Mab’s falcon anymore, I realized that it was at least the third similar reference I felt like I could remember reading in TDF.
so we have SF last page and CD maeves conversation, what was number 3?

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
I think its something Murphy says to Harry in one of the early books somewhere. Its at a crime scene and she says something like 'the center cannot hold'. I try looking today for the specific quote

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 03:43:05 PM »
I think its something Murphy says to Harry in one of the early books somewhere. Its at a crime scene and she says something like 'the center cannot hold'. I try looking today for the specific quote

Quote from: Small Favour Chapter 46
She gave me a faint smile. "It's just...the center cannot hold, Harry. I think things are starting to fall apart. I can't see it, and I can't prove it, but I know it." She shook her head. "Maybe I'm just losing my mind."

Here you go.

And anyone who hasn't gone and liked the Evil Hat Facebook page that I've linked in my sig (that includes you, lurkers), please go do so now. We only need 7 likes and we get a new teaser for the next volume of the Dresden Files rpg.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »
Thanks very much for the quote, TCF. I wouldve been looking forever since I would have started waaay too early in the series.                   I jumped on Facebook yesterday to like your page. Good luck with the last few 'likes' you need. Also, did you see Jim was active on the forum last night? Maybe he'll check out your page too :)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »
Thanks very much for the quote, TCF. I wouldve been looking forever since I would have started waaay too early in the series.                   I jumped on Facebook yesterday to like your page. Good luck with the last few 'likes' you need. Also, did you see Jim was active on the forum last night? Maybe he'll check out your page too :)

It's not my page, it['s Evil Hat's (the guys and girls who made the rpg) page. If they get 1800 likes we get another Paranet Papers teaser.

Still, thank you for contributing your bit, only six more likes to go.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:26:40 PM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.