Author Topic: Lifted and Re-Skinned Power Trapping  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Lifted and Re-Skinned Power Trapping
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »
So, I'm considering lifting and reskinning a trapping from a power for an upcoming character, and I thought I'd seek the board's input.
Here we go:

Superlative Disguise (reskinned Superlative Strength lifted from Supernatural Strength) [-1]:
Whenever using your [Deceit] to modify (page 214) another skill [while impersonating another individual with some special advantage in the task at hand (ex. impersonating someone with authority over someone you're trying to convince to act on your behalf)], it always provides a +2 regardless of the actual comparison of your [Deceit] score to the skill in question.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Lifted and Re-Skinned Power Trapping
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with it.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:27:03 PM »
I'm...not sure if that name is right or accurate, but the basic mechanic seems totally fine.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
You could always call that stunt Method Acting or Character Submersion
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »
Seems too stunt-like for a Power. This is basically the same as the Tireless stunt, but for Deceit and with a doubled bonus.

I guess it could work if it's limited to impersonation. Not really sure what those square brackets mean.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:16:04 AM »
I guess it could work if it's limited to impersonation. Not really sure what those square brackets mean.

The square brackets denote the points where I changed the text from that of Supernatural Strength's Superlative Strength trapping.

I did not go with Tireless because, from my recollection, it is terrible. For one, the characters for whom it would make the most sense (those with peak Endurance) may very well see absolutely no benefit from it.
This power is intended to represent a supernatural aptitude for disguise and impersonation (likely facilitated by True Shapeshifting, Glamours, or a similar ability; the particular character in question has TS).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:41:58 AM »
Tireless is okay for a wimpy person who's just very good at skipping sleep.

But yeah, it sucks if your Endurance is good.

If your Deceit would be giving +1 anyway, stepping that up to +2 is totally okay in my book. With a Stunt or with a Power.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 04:49:45 AM »
Tireless is okay for a wimpy person who's just very good at skipping sleep.

Or even someone with Good Endurance in a Submerged game. I mean, having a decent rating is different from it never restricting even your very best skills no matter what. Ditto the Discipline version.