Author Topic: The Aesir: Guardians of a previous age? (CD Spoilers)  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The Aesir: Guardians of a previous age? (CD Spoilers)
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:34:23 AM »
Okay, major CD Spoilers, so stop here if you haven't read it. :)

So there is a comment made in CD (For the life of me can't remember who and my book is on loan) that:
In our age, guardianship of the outer gates falls to Winter.

This implies that there have been other ages, and other guardians.

If that is the case, what about the Aesir?

Odin makes a comment in previous books to the effect that in this age his children have forgotten themselves.

What if Ragnarok happened, and that event was the changing of the gaurd, so to speek.  (Note: Ragnarok was not the end of all things, more like the turning of seasons and the end of the Aesir.)

That would explain Odin's understanding of the gates.  Could his missing one eye have been taken for the same reason Rashid only has one eye?  And if Mac is Heimdall.....

Odd theory that popped into my head at 1:00 am. lol

Edit:  It was Gatekeeper talking to Harry.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:47:13 AM by Mortax »
Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine

If you go to Chichen Itza....You will Die. -Rashid the Vorlon

"The Arctis Tor Rehab Centre
We have ways of making you walk." - shades of grey

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
Re: The Aesir: Guardians of a previous age? (CD Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:46:21 AM »
not too odd a theory, tis been around a bit before

Summer          Winter
Sidhe               Formor/Jotuns
Formor/Jotuns  Aesir

going backwards we also have some possibilities:

Olympians       Titans
Titans              Chtonics
Chtonics           Dragons
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

wizard nelson

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:57:31 AM »
not too odd a theory, tis been around a bit before

Summer          Winter
Sidhe               Formor/Jotuns
Formor/Jotuns  Aesir

going backwards we also have some possibilities:

Olympians       Titans
Titans              Chtonics
Chtonics           Dragons
but odin IS zeus didn't you know? he just prefers to BE odin because we've made zeus into a laughable ass the past 20-30 yrs. arrogant, morally weak, incompetent. who wants to use a mantle that gives you those traits? he just keeps it on the back burner like harry did WK mantle in changes.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:43:41 AM »
but odin IS zeus didn't you know? he just prefers to BE odin because we've made zeus into a laughable ass the past 20-30 yrs. arrogant, morally weak, incompetent. who wants to use a mantle that gives you those traits? he just keeps it on the back burner like harry did WK mantle in changes.

noooooooooooooooo

woj puts zeus more in the 'could spank Mab just by blinking hard catagory'

hes much much stronger then Odin.

which makes sense- hes millenia older, had tens of millions more worshippers.. he's primal, WN.

Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 06:51:01 AM »

noooooooooooooooo

which makes sense- hes millenia older, had tens of millions more worshippers.. he's primal, WN.

Which WoJ is this?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

wizard nelson

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 06:53:19 AM »
noooooooooooooooo
never seen this woj. is he referring to zeus at the height of his power though? and you gotta think, at some point zeus stopped being the top dog errr.. god (lol) so obviously he's not the most powerful. sure the WG usurped his throne as lead deity but still, mab guards the borders, she had to have taken that responsibility from somewhere.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
never seen this woj. is he referring to zeus at the height of his power though? and you gotta think, at some point zeus stopped being the top dog errr.. god (lol) so obviously he's not the most powerful. sure the WG usurped his throne as lead deity but still, mab guards the borders, she had to have taken that responsibility from somewhere.

And if you throw in the potential effects of immortals stealing mantle bits from one another, it's still possible Zeus & Odin are the same guy.  In my mind, the strength of an immortal depends on their mantle, somewhat.  If bits get stolen & replaced, the immortal gets changed.

Hence the differences between the Greek gods & the Roman ones.  Their mantles were somewhat altered some Halloween.

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
Honestly I just want more Norse gods, mostly folks like Freya, Vidarr, and Heimdal (this goes double if it is Mac and he gets in the game).

wizard nelson

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:38:38 PM »
Honestly I just want more Norse gods, mostly folks like Freya, Vidarr, and Heimdal (this goes double if it is Mac and he gets in the game).
definitely wanna see mac go all heimdall on a walker, its overdue. was WAGin freya is mab...?

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »

Thing is, we might have already gotten some of this.  From the way I interpret Cold Days, a lot of the older Gods are just masks for various Immortals.  Heck, it wouldn't shock me if Mab was also Hera.

So, its possible that we might have seen more than we think, we just don't recognise them, because they're not wearing that particular immortal mask.

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »
Thing is, we might have already gotten some of this.  From the way I interpret Cold Days, a lot of the older Gods are just masks for various Immortals.  Heck, it wouldn't shock me if Mab was also Hera.

So, its possible that we might have seen more than we think, we just don't recognise them, because they're not wearing that particular immortal mask.

Heimdal could be Mac, Freya might be Mab, highly doubt we have seen Vidarr.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »
Which WoJ is this?

its not in the main list. there are a few versions of it.. Jim talks about the theory of the medium fish; that Harry will never be the 'big fish' even after becoming winter knight and warden, bit will remain the medium fish because even tho hes grown much stronger hes now swimming in a much bigger pond.

Jim then mentions he can now do the 'fun stuff'- like the classical greek gods.

in other words- things much stronger then before. weve allways known they were out there; Harry in PG lists several people who could smack Mab around like a tennis ball, and the greek gods were on that list.

which makes sense; I know how popular odin and thor are today (largely due to mass media) but "Odin" first shows up around 700 ad and is over by 1000 AD. Hist total worshippers, at their hieght, was only a few million.

Zeus shows up around 4,000 BCE, was well established around 2,000 BCE and had worshipers in the 50-60 million range. And its not like he's forgotten or anything.

pssst. The god in the greek robes with a giant white bushy beard floating on a cloud and throwing lightning at sinners?

It's Zeus

the christian idea of the holy trinity ( father, son, holy spirit) has a lot more to with the greco/roman idea of the Capitlone trinity ( zeus/ athena/ hera) then it does with Judaism. Not a big surprise, christianity was created by Roman educated scholars like Augustine, not by Hebrews.

and then there is the whole hindu connection...

Mac isnt a god, by WOJ. Mab is very likely the Jotun queen of winter, who Odin promised to wed then stole the mead of immortaltiy from.

wizard nelson

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »
was not mab wearing a cloak of feathers at harrys party in CD iirc? :o
Mac isnt a god, by WOJ. Mab is very likely the Jotun queen of winter, who Odin promised to wed then stole the mead of immortaltiy from.
  but there is a whole host of other creatures out there that are not gods. what about a djinni? they are perfectly neutral and of course it would explain macs general lack of powers, he can't use them for himself... i DO NOT mean mac secretly lives in a lamp or beer bottle or some such though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:36:29 PM by wizard nelson »

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »

He could still be Heimdal and not be a god, maybe someone stole all his mojo on Halloween but he somehow still retains the perk of not aging. Thus if as you propose the Aesir once watched the gate he knows the walker, because he was once "The Gatekeeper", and he is also out, because he lost all his powers and thus is just a mortal. Don't get me wrong, this is a massive WAG, but one I enjoy.

Also is this the WoJ in question?

Could MacAnally possibly be a son of Dionysus?
He's not a Greek god nor a scion of the gods, I'll tell you that much, but we will probably won't get to see much about MacAnally until the big trilogy at the end. 

If so he could still be a Norse god.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:09:38 PM by rekshek »

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 02:12:20 PM »
The arguement is that Mac was a god.  Remember, Mac says "I'm out" and then later Odin reveals that it is possible to give up a mantle on certain confluxes. 

The story I see goes like this: Ragnarok occurs, the guard changes and Heimdal finds himself out of a job. Unemployed, depressed, and Norwegian, Heimdal decides to deal with his midlife crisis by getting completely blotto for a few centuries/millenia. When he finally sobers up he decides to get his act together and do something productive in his retirement; forsaking his mantle and opening a bar in Chicago (possibly after power watching every episode of Cheers.) And if his chosen venue should happen to allow him to keep an eye on a certain starborn wizard, well...
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society