Author Topic: A question about thaumaturgy complexities  (Read 1365 times)

Magicpockets

A question about thaumaturgy complexities
« on: January 15, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
Hello all,
I've got some questions about the complexity of thaumaturgy effects.
1) I want to place an aspect on a willing character, that he (and only he) gets to free tag once per encounter. Alternatively, the aspect can be used to compel a single opponent the character will face. Situation: the aspect in question is "Emotionless", and the person the character interacts with is an old and strong White Court Vampire feeding on lust (think akin to Lara Raith). The aspect should last a single day or a single scene, doesn't really matter. What complexity is appropriate?
2) In case the first approach proves to be unfeasible, a backup plan is prepared: a block of 8-10 shifts vs emotional control/feeding. Again, it should last for one scene/day (it will only matter in that single scene). What complexity is appropriate?

In case it matters: My character, a newly (as in, a day ago in game time) appointed summer knight, was invited to go "golfing" by a White Court Matriarch. Missing all the innuendo, he agreed to go along. The meeting is due in two days, and the character has access to thaumaturgy with Lore 5. Assuming that I don't want to chicken out of the meeting, what options do I have? I thought about going to a golf range that is ANG, but that seems somehwat cheesy.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: A question about thaumaturgy complexities
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »
Well, the easiest way to go would be to make it a potion. Like the "blending in" potion Harry did in FM. Drinking the potion would place the aspect "Emotionless" on your character, and it would last for one scene. Usually, a maneuver requires 3 shifts minimum, but if your character is prone to emotional outbursts, I would increase it a bit, depending. 5-6 should be enough in any case, I think. The duration for thaumaturgy spells usually starts with "one scene", which should be enough, at least in my book. It isn't too much of a stretch to brew a potion like that, and there are all kinds of ways you can compel the aspect on the character, which I would enjoy doing (again: see FM)

The block would be feasible, too, but since you basically want to meet with the WCV without him using his mental powers on you, that is handled way better by an aspect and a resulting tag for effect, plus a bit of bargaining with the GM. Especially, if he is doing something hectic and drastic (like getting rid of every emotion), that should have an impact much deeper than just a block.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:49:17 PM »
Getting an Emotionless Aspect on yourself would indeed be an east 3-4 shifts. You could even double up and get two, say, 'Emotionless' and 'Empty Inside' for only 6-8 shifts...but tagging them each once would be all you could do (well, and invoking them), so they wouldn't be nearly as helpful as an 8-10 shift scene-long block.

The block, if used, would almost certainly be an actual ward-like magical protection, though, and detectable as such, not a spell effecting your own emotions.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:51:36 PM »
I should warn you, the tag on your EMOTIONLESS Aspect might not last long enough to be useful.

And non-Ward Thaumaturgy blocks are generally pretty ambiguous rules-wise. Ask your GM.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »
I should warn you, the tag on your EMOTIONLESS Aspect might not last long enough to be useful.
The tag can last as long as he and the GM can agree on. And that's kind of what I was trying to convey. The GM introduced a dangerous situation for the character, and the player does not want his character to go into that situation like that. So you bargain. The Player suggests a potion that creates an "Emotionless" aspect, and he will tag it for effect, forcing the vampire to deal with him in a fashion other than pushing his lust button. That's what the block would try to do, anyway, but the aspect would make that much more interesting and less complicated, I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28:03 AM »
The tag can last as long as he and the GM can agree on.

If you've agreed to disregard the rules, sure. But by YS 106, tags must be used in the scene they're acquired in. Assessments are raised as an exception, but the proposed effect clearly isn't an Assessment.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »
If you've agreed to disregard the rules, sure. But by YS 106, tags must be used in the scene they're acquired in. Assessments are raised as an exception, but the proposed effect clearly isn't an Assessment.
That's why I suggested a potion. Brew, drink immediately before you meet the vampire, profit. I just wouldn't make that big a deal about the exact details, and even if the golfing turns out to be 2 scenes, I would not make a big fuss about it.

Magicpockets

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »
The reason why I am reluctant about using an Aspect like "Emotionless" is because the purpose of the meeting is to discuss a potential alliance between the Summer and the White Court. I have reason to believe that the White Courtier will attempt to use her mindrape abilities to gain an advantage, and I'm looking towards leveling the playing field. With Incite Emotion gone, I think I have a fair shot at negotiation, with most social skills in the 4-5 range, but "Emotionless" could prove to be a disadvantage during the negotiation.

Do person-centered wards work? If so, is the complexity equal to the block strength?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »
Do person-centered wards work? If so, is the complexity equal to the block strength?

Wards? No. A person-centered block on something really specific like this? Maybe. Ask your GM.

Offline CrispyXIV

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »

This seems like a very specific type of Spirit based Block to me.  Maybe with low special effects, and lots of effort put into extra duration.