Author Topic: Shutting down a spell caster  (Read 5623 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Shutting down a spell caster
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »
That's reasonable enough if it works for you...but not how the system is intended to work at all. So of limited utility for people who are using the system as written.
I see Fate Points as a means of player agency primarily. The rulebook even states that antagonists with a fate point pool are out of the ordinary, and particularly dangerous, implying that your average badguy just doesn't get fate points.

But if they buy out, the PC, too, is free to do other things, so all they've really lost is one turn, and cost the enemy an FP...that's a pretty standard turn maneuvering, IMO. They tried, and it didn't work, but did weaken the enemy. Now they can try something else.
Setting up a thaumaturgic ritual to shut someone down is not "one turn." It's potentially several sessions of set up and work, as well as however many turns it takes to cast.

Tell me, if you were a player, and you took the time and effort to set up a ritual to shut down a powerful wizard and give your own team a chance, wouldn't you feel cheated if it succeeded and the GM just goes, "Well, he has a fate point to spend, so it doesn't work. And now he's hitting you all with a Weapon:8 zone attack, roll to dodge."?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline CrispyXIV

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »
I see Fate Points as a means of player agency primarily. The rulebook even states that antagonists with a fate point pool are out of the ordinary, and particularly dangerous, implying that your average badguy just doesn't get fate points.

Sure.  Thats actually, I believe, how no-name NPC's work per RAW.  And the Big Bad having his own Fate Points... just like the PC's... actually lends a lot toward them being significant.  He's the guy who has all the same tricks the PC's do.  Except that being -7 total Refresh means that any Fate Point he has, he suffered for.

Setting up a thaumaturgic ritual to shut someone down is not "one turn." It's potentially several sessions of set up and work, as well as however many turns it takes to cast.

Tell me, if you were a player, and you took the time and effort to set up a ritual to shut down a powerful wizard and give your own team a chance, wouldn't you feel cheated if it succeeded and the GM just goes, "Well, he has a fate point to spend, so it doesn't work. And now he's hitting you all with a Weapon:8 zone attack, roll to dodge."?

Sure that sucks, but its not like it doesn't work both ways, or he used some super secret 'NPC only' ability or heavens forbid GM Fiat to do it... he did the same thing anyone with Fate can; bought out of a compel.  Its still worth the action the PC's took, and its not like no-one told them the bad-guy had that as an option to begin with.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 09:15:28 PM »
So you think it's fair if the PCs spend a significant amount of time setting up the ritual--potentially spending their own resources and fate points--to curb an extremely significant advantage their opponent has on them, and the opponent then spends one fate point to undo all of that hard work, and gets to use all of his power at full capacity for the entire battle?

I have a problem seeing that as anything besides an utter waste of resources on the part of the PCs.

What's the narrative justification for the spell simply failing, despite the PCs spending all their time and effort on making sure it's cast correctly? How is it fair for the PCs to then get stomped because their preparations just went all right out the window?

Offline CrispyXIV

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »
So you think it's fair if the PCs spend a significant amount of time setting up the ritual--potentially spending their own resources and fate points--to curb an extremely significant advantage their opponent has on them, and the opponent then spends one fate point to undo all of that hard work, and gets to use all of his power at full capacity for the entire battle?

I have a problem seeing that as anything besides an utter waste of resources on the part of the PCs.

Ever heard anyone mention eggs and baskets?  Throwing everything into one plan that the players knew could fail if the badguy has the same capabilities (Fate points) they do was not a great plan in the first place, IMO.  They're probably better off using their knowledge to set scene aspects in place, do research on their foe (assessments), etc, instead of something that they themselves could just dismiss via spending a fate point.  If the villain can't do that... he's kindof non-threatening IMO.

What's the narrative justification for the spell simply failing, despite the PCs spending all their time and effort on making sure it's cast correctly? How is it fair for the PCs to then get stomped because their preparations just went all right out the window?

Forensics guys got it wrong, it wasn't his hair; the symbolic link is no good.  Or something similar for narrative justification.

I'm just saying, there's a reason in Grave Peril that Harry's lockdown spell against Kravos happens offscreen, before the plot; effortless victory is boring, for the players or otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:32:40 PM by CrispyXIV »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 09:46:17 PM »
Ever heard anyone mention eggs and baskets?  Throwing everything into one plan that the players knew could fail if the badguy has the same capabilities (Fate points) they do was not a great plan in the first place, IMO.  They're probably better off using their knowledge to set scene aspects in place, do research on their foe (assessments), etc, instead of something that they themselves could just dismiss via spending a fate point.  If the villain can't do that... he's kindof non-threatening IMO.
Point is, if the players go to the effort of it, and it works, then it should...well, work.

Forensics guys got it wrong, it wasn't his hair; the symbolic link is no good.  Or something similar for narrative justification.

I'm just saying, there's a reason in Grave Peril that Harry's lockdown spell against Kravos happens offscreen, before the plot; effortless victory is boring, for the players or otherwise.
Who said effortless? I've said putting the spell together is plenty of time and effort and resources. If the players put in that time and effort and spend the resources, then that victory is the payoff--especially if the villain couldn't be defeated otherwise. Such a spell might very well be an entire scenario's worth of work.

Offline CrispyXIV

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »
Point is, if the players go to the effort of it, and it works, then it should...well, work.

Eh, to me, it did work; you forced the bad guy to spend some of his fixed resources to overcome an obstacle.  Depending on the badguy, that's more serious a loss than some consequences.  Thats victory... especially if you have a parties worth of Fate points, and he has the one or two he got Conceding out of an earlier conflict, or by accepting a painful compel.

Who said effortless? I've said putting the spell together is plenty of time and effort and resources. If the players put in that time and effort and spend the resources, then that victory is the payoff--especially if the villain couldn't be defeated otherwise. Such a spell might very well be an entire scenario's worth of work.

If the scenario is about putting together a 'bad guy defeating spell', then he shouldn't buy out of it if thats what makes the story work :) Of course, thats kindof harsh if it results in him being helpless as the party stomps him to death afterwards, as he lies there.

Honestly, if it were me, and the plot allowed for this sort of spell to make things work... I think the villain should Concede immediately, somehow.  He's already lost if his primary power is sealed, and there's really no reason to run a conflict at that point.  So I guess that makes this sort of thing more of a 'Challenge' per the book, and less of a Conflict to begin with, right?

And again, at the end of the day... the players know what Fate can be spent on.  Its not like they're doing this all blind, and if they invest in going with the 'Tag for Effect' route, they should consider the possibility that the badguy will do what they would, and simply buy out of it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:58:49 PM by CrispyXIV »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 10:05:13 PM »
I'm with Mr Death on this one. If you are planning on removing the binding with a fate point, do it before the players start putting all that work into it. You can still go into the final battle talking big about the ritual that was supposed to shut him down, but you don't have to focus all that effort on something that is virtually worthless. If it does something else than the players wanted, it would still be something else, but nothing is just not worth it, in my eyes.
Taking down the bad guy is no longer due to the direct effort, but the way they put together the spell to limit his power. It is just a different approach, and if you don't like it, tell the players about it when they come up with the idea, not when they finish it.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 10:10:59 PM »
Eh, to me, it did work; you forced the bad guy to spend some of his fixed resources to overcome an obstacle.  Depending on the badguy, that's more serious a loss than some consequences.  Thats victory... especially if you have a parties worth of Fate points, and he has the one or two he got Conceding out of an earlier conflict, or by accepting a painful compel.
If the aim is to keep the badguy from filleting and barbecuing you with Weapon:8 spells round after round, and he spends one fate point to keep filleting and barbecuing you with Weapon:8 spells rund after round, then it didn't work.

The players are casting this spell with an objective in mind that isn't "make him use one fate point," so to me, if that's the only result then it's a failure. The villain isn't dangerous to them because he has that one fate point, he's dangerous to them because he's a powerful magic user. And being able to cast your full load of spells is pretty much always worth a fate point if the alternative is not being able to cast.

If the scenario is about putting together a 'bad guy defeating spell', then he shouldn't buy out of it if thats what makes the story work :) Of course, thats kindof harsh if it results in him being helpless as the party stomps him to death afterwards, as he lies there.

Honestly, if it were me, and the plot allowed for this sort of spell to make things work... I think the villain should Concede immediately, somehow.  He's already lost if his primary power is sealed, and there's really no reason to run a conflict at that point.  So I guess that makes this sort of thing more of a 'Challenge' per the book, and less of a Conflict to begin with, right?
Well, presumably a good villain has some other way of defending himself beyond magic (Kravos had his demon and cultists, for instance)--magic just happens to be one of the options that offers the best offense.

Depends on the scenario, of course. I was thinking of it in terms of, "The players are casting this spell to give themselves a fighting chance," like what Ebenezer did to Mavra, and what Harry did to Kravos.

If you're casting the spell as an 'instant win' button, then hell, just make it a straight up attack and take his ass out.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:12:30 PM by Mr. Death »

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 11:30:53 PM »

Wait a minute.  This is some pretty major goalpost-moving.  In earlier comments, people had suggested 1) an Evocation block, 2) a Thaumaturgy ritual, or 3) a Maneuver to place an aspect, and then a Compel for Effect.  2) is not the same thing as 3), even though you can use rituals to place aspects.

I agree that a simple Maneuver (if successful) could be be negated by the bad guy coughing up a Fate Point on the Compel.  But why on earth would any player set up a big ritual in this situation and agree to have the effects modeled as "you placed a single negative aspect on the bad guy"?  That is ridiculous, assuming the Complexity was at all proportional to significant effort on the part of the PCs.  For a five minute ritual performed while stealthily observing the bad guy before the attack, sure.  But for a major ritual with, say, 20 Complexity or more, I'd be looking for one of two things:  a declaration by the GM saying "your ritual worked, the bad guy won't be able to spellcast for the next 12 hours," or "congratulations, you've successfully placed the following list of aspects; you may free-tag each aspect once within the next 12 hours in order to negate or counter this bad guy's spellcasting only."  If you end up with the list of aspects, you can tag each for effect in combat to shut down spellcasting--costing the bad guy one FP per tag--or using the tags to inhibit his control rolls or whatnot.  If you run out of tags, you can start bidding your own FPs to power the aspects further.  Unless the bad guy has an unlimited pool of FPs (i.e. the GM is doing it wrong), this should work.

Naturally, in any given game situation, you should use what helps tell the best story.  However, Thaumaturgy is a powerful fulcrum that should allow the player to leverage good preparation and planning into a solid advantage he otherwise wouldn't have had.  Quick and dirty ritual gives you one Aspect?  Sure.  Major ritual with research and components?  Better give a lot more effect.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 12:16:04 AM »
I never said it was the best solution. I'm just saying that it's cheating the players if they go to all the time and effort to do the spell, and all of that time and effort is undone by the GM spending a relatively minor resource..

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 01:56:24 AM »
I never said it was the best solution. I'm just saying that it's cheating the players if they go to all the time and effort to do the spell, and all of that time and effort is undone by the GM spending a relatively minor resource..

Any spell that puts a single Aspect on the villain isn't a lot of time and resources. At all.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 02:26:25 AM »
Any spell that puts a single Aspect on the villain isn't a lot of time and resources. At all.

Now, if the powerful and involved ritual that took a lot of time and resources managed to dump 3 or 4 similar aspects on the BBEG, each to be tagged-for-effect-for-compel to the same end, that'd be different.
At that point, though, a simple high-powered block may be more effective (use the ward rules, place the block on the likely battlegroung - play some cat-and-mouse to get the battle there, if necessary - and include exceptions in the ward such that only yourself and your allies will remain unimpeded).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 02:36:52 AM »
So the 30-ish shift Entropy Curse example is simple and easy to cast, then?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 02:41:04 AM »
So the 30-ish shift Entropy Curse example is simple and easy to cast, then?

Uh...the 30 shift example is built as an attack spell and just kills someone. Any use of Aspects is incidental to this effect.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 02:51:54 AM »
Uh...the 30 shift example is built as an attack spell and just kills someone. Any use of Aspects is incidental to this effect.
Nope.

Complexity: Varies, but always high; 26 shifts
in this case
Effect: Target gains the Deadly Luck aspect.
The aspect is compelled at an appropriate
time
by springing an accident or other misfortune
on the target—an incident that presents
a challenge equal in shifts to the power of
the spell.

It explicitly works as a compel of an aspect.