Author Topic: Evocation Offensive Motion Rules  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
Evocation Offensive Motion Rules
« on: January 20, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »
The idea of moving with Evocation is suggested in the book but considered very dangerous. Do rules exist in order to move someone else? Offensively? I would treat it like so-
 Joe Wizard wants to throw Bob Ghoul 3 zones away, because ghouls are gross. He calls up 8 shifts- 3 shifts to move him three zones, and five shifts for the opposed  Athletics check. Bob Ghoul defends at Fantastic, barely beating the roll. It's narrated as Bob barely dodging a blast of pure force that would have blasted him through the building.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Evocation Offensive Motion Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »
That's certainly sounds workable.

You could, alternately, do it as a maneuver that you tag for effect to do the actual movement.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »
I think there's a few different ways:

If there's a zone border, like a wall, you could just make it an attack.  The weapon value of the attack represents the damage the ghoul takes when he hits the wall.  If the ghoul takes a consequences and/or if the damage is greater than the border value, you can tag the consequence to invoke for effect, making the ghoul fly through the wall into another zone. The ghoul would get a FP.

The other option is to set up a maneuver, "blasted by force" opposed by athletics (or maybe the ghoul could choose Might, if he finds something to grab on to.  Tag for effect and the ghoul gets a FP and is blown x amount of zones, probably based on how powerful the maneuver was.  If there's a zone border, there might be damage given to the ghoul as well.

Exact details for the power of a maneuver, I wouldn't know.  I've seen this topic come up a few times and people have had some good suggestions.  Maybe a base of 3 shifts to move him 1 zone, then 1 zone/ shift of failure?  That seems cheap, though.  I think a zone border would eat up shifts, personally.

So if you want to blast them through a border 5 wall, you need to do at least a Power 5 maneuver to move them 1 zone.  Shifts of failure will get you through the next border, but the shifts of failure have to be greater than the next zone border value...so say it's another border 5 wall, they'd have to fail by 5 shifts to move 2 zones, and it'd have to be a Power 10 maneuver.  I'm kinda making this up on the spot, so I'm sure someone will disagree with me and come up with a better way of doing it.

In any case, to summerize: I think a maneuver is the way to go, or an attack that delivers a consequence that you can tag for effect.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:34:09 PM »
If there's a zone border, like a wall, you could just make it an attack.  The weapon value of the attack represents the damage the ghoul takes when he hits the wall.  If the ghoul takes a consequences and/or if the damage is greater than the border value, you can tag the consequence to invoke for effect, making the ghoul fly through the wall into another zone. The ghoul would get a FP.

Exact details for the power of a maneuver, I wouldn't know.  I've seen this topic come up a few times and people have had some good suggestions.  Maybe a base of 3 shifts to move him 1 zone, then 1 zone/ shift of failure?  That seems cheap, though.  I think a zone border would eat up shifts, personally.

This is the method I would use. You would need extra shifts to get them past zone borders. Which could be done as an attack, depending on the nature of the border.  I need the information for a backup character (a Thunderbird) who likes knocking people around with 200mph winds and sonic booms.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:16:55 PM by Hick Jr »
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 10:14:54 PM »
After reading the thread that sactaphrax posted, I'd like to reiterate that the strength of the maneuver should be used as a guid-line for how much distance they move and/or any damage they take.  That's only if they accept the compel.  If they turn down the compel, then the mechanics of it are moot.