Author Topic: mythological figures we'd like to see  (Read 39255 times)

Offline Anthony

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: mythological figures we'd like to see
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2013, 11:03:02 PM »
Some mythical persons that I would like to see. As most historical charakters are dead, the choise is somewhat limited.They have to be monsters, supernatural beings, have powers or "immortals". I added some suggestions how he/she could be used  ;) :

Black Pete/Krampus: evil sidekick to Santa Clause (Imagine him showing up to give orders/news to Dresden)
The lady of the Lake: Arthurian folklore (would make a great handmaiden to the new Winter or Summer Lady)
Frau Holle: Germanic lore. Truthfully, I believe we have already seen her (Mother winter)  ;D
Gilgamesj: Sumerian king/hero, Wise & powerful. (the true identity of Rashid)
Hafgufa: A giant sea monster from Germanic lore (I can see him attacking Demonreach)
The walking Jew: Christian mythology, Cursed to walk the earth for taunting Jesus (Perhaps he is trying to redeem himself so he helps the knights of the cross or thinks a sword will give him salvation so he tries to steal one)
Sir Galahad: Arthurian knight that found the Grail (perhaps picking up a sword again)
Maria: Mother of Jesus. (comforting Michael Carpenter after he hears his daughter was lost to the WG)
Nicholas Flamel: Great alchemist and the maker of the philosophers stone. But after featuring in a story with that other wizard named Harry, perhaps not likely. (Beer makers are also alchemists right?  ;D )

Lets see if any will show up later on... ;)
Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me and my life is done.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »
I'd like to see some Dullahan at some point. And an in-depth look at the Svartalves would be nice.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2013, 11:22:57 PM »
I wonder what type of Fae the Nuckelavee is a Sidhe of (I'm assuming it's a Sidhe because all the extremely powerfull Fae we've been shown are Sidhe). Is it even a Fae? It doesn't seem to share any traits in common with the Fae as described in the Dresdenverse, maybe in-universe people were just confused?
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2013, 02:39:18 AM »
I wonder what type of Fae the Nuckelavee is a Sidhe of (I'm assuming it's a Sidhe because all the extremely powerfull Fae we've been shown are Sidhe). Is it even a Fae? It doesn't seem to share any traits in common with the Fae as described in the Dresdenverse, maybe in-universe people were just confused?

The Erlking is an extremely powerful fae but refers to sidhe as being an entirely different group of beings than himself. I think Sidhe are only those high ranking members of the two Courts.
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2013, 02:48:55 AM »
does gangalf count?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:56:59 AM by Ben de Wal »

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2013, 03:26:43 AM »
I thought a Golem might be a tough character for Harry to deal with, not being alive and without the weaknesses of human zombies, but a friend has told me that Terry Pratchett has already used more than one Golem in his books.  Jim could still use one, but have to do so in a different way.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2013, 03:45:46 AM »
I thought a Golem might be a tough character for Harry to deal with, not being alive and without the weaknesses of human zombies, but a friend has told me that Terry Pratchett has already used more than one Golem in his books.  Jim could still use one, but have to do so in a different way.

Wouldn't the fact that even before Harry became Winter Knight he was capable of throwing fuegos that would shatter stone make them rather anticlimactic opponents? Unless they've got some noteworthy supernatural toughness and magic resistance going on.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

wizard nelson

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2013, 03:56:49 AM »
Wouldn't the fact that even before Harry became Winter Knight he was capable of throwing fuegos that would shatter stone make them rather anticlimactic opponents? Unless they've got some noteworthy supernatural toughness and magic resistance going on.
one thinks of a temple dog here.. i kinda wanna see mouse smash a temple dog, proving the original is best.

Offline FireWorks

• Posty McPostington
  • On the lookout for minions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00:16 AM »
I defenitely want Shiva to appear. The Hindu god of destruction. Preferably as one of Demonreach's prisoner whom Harry needs to talk to or make bargains with.
I doubt that he's in demonreach. He and Kali are tasked with the purpose of "change" in the universe, we see that everyday in DF. :)
And frankly, I find the idea that he should be restrained in demonreach offensive. Why do people think any pantheon related to destruction or death (like Hades) are "evil"? They're just doing a job, someone has to do it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:05:33 AM by FireWorks »

Offline The Reaver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »
I doubt that he's in demonreach. He and Kali are tasked with the purpose of "change" in the universe, we see that everyday in DF. :)
And frankly, I find the idea that he should be restrained in demonreach offensive. Why do people think any pantheon related to destruction or death (like Hades) are "evil"? They're just doing a job, someone has to do it.

same reason disney always makes them the villain in movies:it allows you to comfortably categorize them without searching for moral ambiguity or exploring the sensitive topic of whether death, suffering and disaster are necessary.
Let the dice fly high!

Offline FireWorks

• Posty McPostington
  • On the lookout for minions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »

same reason disney always makes them the villain in movies:it allows you to comfortably categorize them without searching for moral ambiguity or exploring the sensitive topic of whether death, suffering and disaster are necessary.
good point. i see where you're coming from...
however, i'd prefer such worldviews to remain in less intellectually challenging works of art (there are gripes there as well, but i won't get into that)
one thing i absolutely love about the DF world is that it is complex.

Offline Socratov

• Conversationalist
  • Mantle of Nanny Ogg
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »

Well, that's basically the reason I like Pratchett: the subverts the trope and then turns that up to eleven. DEATH is doing a job. Just that. But, his hobby (as far as anthropomorphic concepts can have hobbies) is to become more human, or at least study human behaviour, often resulting in funny moments when peopel meet their end, and soon afterwards, death.
yes, I am male and I engage in the activity known as shipping. I just wish harry some relief from time to time. He's getting tortured enough as it is...

I think, therefore I am. I am therefore people must believe I exist. Ergo: I think people believe in me ;)

Offline sociotard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »
I'd love to see a Kirin (or Qilin, spelling varies because Chinese is hard)

I'd also like to see the Erlking in his role guarding the souls of children.
Even in winter, the cold isn't always bitter, and not every day is cruel.

wizard nelson

« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2013, 03:21:52 PM »
I'd love to see a Kirin (or Qilin, spelling varies because Chinese is hard)

I'd also like to see the Erlking in his role guarding the souls of children.
or eating them in some myths :o seriously though yea, i wanna see erl really cut loose in an entitled way(eg, his responsibility to open a can of whoop ass) as opposed to just leading the hunt. odin too really.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »
The Erlking is an extremely powerful fae but refers to sidhe as being an entirely different group of beings than himself. I think Sidhe are only those high ranking members of the two Courts.

Does he? I thought Erl was a goblin Sidhe just like [CD Spoilers]
(click to show/hide)
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^