Author Topic: mythological figures we'd like to see  (Read 39050 times)

Offline dpara

• Conversationalist
  • clear and concise reasoning. sharkslap!
    • View Profile
Re: mythological figures we'd like to see
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
From the giant monster class;
Cthulhu, the better Cloverfield Monster , uh Godzilla ..in case Harry ever goes to Japan.

The usual suspects Athena, Kali, Lucifer & Hades (sry no Loki I can't get over that stupid Marvel helmet, he's tainted XD).

Tiamat & Marduk to me Babylonian sounds pretty cool, with maybe remaining idols as story hooks.

In general I would to see more mystical/mythical places/(stupidly risky exploring) in the NN, the various hells/heavens, I guess any of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythological_places would make me happy.

Peter Pan.. ..that came so out of left field... so I am gonna pick the tooth fairy ( I think she is winter XD .. or even Mab herself XD XD )
SH[Mavra---- Molly- Lash+ Elaine+ Murphy++]

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 12:36:35 PM »
in pre monthesitic abrahmaic religion the wg had a wife (Asherah, who if she showed up in the DF would be mother summer) and an arch enemy.. tehom/ tehob, the darkness upon the deep.

sooooooooooo whose up for a dragon the size of egypt?
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

wizard nelson

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »
isn't sir lancelot doomed to wander the earth til aurthers return or some such? lancelot would be nice.
 i got this crazy WAG about who aurther is too ;)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »
isn't sir lancelot doomed to wander the earth til aurthers return or some such? lancelot would be nice.
 i got this crazy WAG about who aurther is too ;)

in most of the versions ive read, lancelot's dead as a doornail. Are you thinking of the wandering Jew?

and its just a total WAG.. but in the 'romantic' versions arthur is taken to avalon by his three sisters..one of whom is Mab.

;)
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

wizard nelson

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »
in most of the versions ive read, lancelot's dead as a doornail. Are you thinking of the wandering Jew?

and its just a total WAG.. but in the 'romantic' versions arthur is taken to avalon by his three sisters..one of whom is Mab.

;)
another total WAG eldest gruff is merlin ;)

Offline Cruness

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »
Apollo.

wizard nelson

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »
Apollo.
thats likely the erlking, hunting having replaced war in some respects. apollo? sun? summer? summer king? erlking? ::)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 01:37:14 PM »
Don't feed the duck!

The number of theories and long post alredy eat too much of my time for you to motivate her.
Sorry. Feeding ducks is a traditional thing to do for small children where I live.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
Ok, I'd like to see The Curupira (but a more original version not the current "good guy" one), he probally fit well as a more darker member of summer...

I doubt anyone will know who this one knows without googling..

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:32 PM »
Gandalf, because in some parallel universe he is real darnit, and he is >>>> Merlin!

Tyr, Freya, Heimdall Prometheus.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
A bit more of the Greek pantheon (the Furies would be nice assassins for Zeus ;D )
The Rakshasas that keep getting mentioned!!
How about Puck?  ([WAG] he should be a wyldfae that changes loyalties depending on his master; Puck=Jack Frost if he's Winter or Puck=Robin Goodfellow if he's Summer [/WAG] )
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Cruness

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 02:12:43 PM »
thats likely the erlking, hunting having replaced war in some respects. apollo? sun? summer? summer king? erlking? ::)

Apollo has Sun, Light, intellect, prophecy, and truth among others. Primarily my exposure to Apollo has been as a god of wisdom enlightenment and intellect. The Greek god of of war was Ares.  If he has appeared as one of the immortals I would bet he got rolled into Odin, but I don't see the Erlking as a fit at all.

Offline Socratov

• Conversationalist
  • Mantle of Nanny Ogg
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
oeh! I thought of a funny one: The Morrigan, 3 for the price of 1  8)

(and they are rumored to battle Medb a.k.a. Maeve, so the way is clear)
yes, I am male and I engage in the activity known as shipping. I just wish harry some relief from time to time. He's getting tortured enough as it is...

I think, therefore I am. I am therefore people must believe I exist. Ergo: I think people believe in me ;)

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 02:50:39 PM »
Themis...the Goddess of Justice.   She's the chick with the sword and the scales wearing a blindfold.  Considering there are statues of her in just about every government building, every law office, and topping stationary everywhere, and she is recognized as well as known throughout the world...she'd be S-T-R-O-N-G.  She'd, also, be merciless.
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 02:51:53 PM »
Gandalf, because in some parallel universe he is real darnit, and he is >>>> Merlin!

Tyr, Freya, Heimdall Prometheus.

Personally, I'm pretty sure Heimdall has been in almost every book.  He was/is the watcher, guardian of the bifrost bridge and first line of defense against the invasion of Asgard (and there is a nagging thought in the back of my head that he was only supposed to speak when sounding a warning, but I may well be wrong).  Now who do we know that rarely speaks, has preternatural healing, jokes with Odin, and was called 'the observer' by his enemies?  ;D

I suspect Loki is currently chained in the depths of demonreach; and that he is an outsider who teamed up with Odin to try and pull a long con to bring down the gates (he who walks beside, maybe?)
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society