Author Topic: mythological figures we'd like to see  (Read 38701 times)

Offline Oddball

• Participant
    • View Profile
mythological figures we'd like to see
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:04:14 AM »
Here are a few figures I'd like to see in future books.
Krampus bad cop to Santa's good cop.
Baba Yaga the wicked witch of  eastern European folklore
Loki the problem child of Asgard.
coyote the class clown of western Native American mythology.

Share the mythological figures you'd like see and why you like them

Curator's note:  This topic seems to have a lot of great discussion, thus it is being archived :) -Serack
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:02:44 PM by Serack »

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
Re: mythological figures we'd like to see
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:24:54 AM »
Athena- if numbers of worshippers actualy mean anything, she'd be the second most powerfull god after the WG. either way, could be interesting.

Carmilla. of course, im quazy enough to think shes allready shown up

;)
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Oddball

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:50:46 AM »
WOW!!! ;D the exalted Ms Duck replying to my post. you've just made my day thank you.   

Offline Shinto_Knight

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:53:51 AM »
Baba Yaga the wicked witch of  eastern European folklore
IMHO we have seen her, or rather one of her aspects. Baba Yaga = Mother Winter...

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »
Carmilla. of course, im quazy enough to think shes allready shown up

;)

Do you think Mavra is Carmilla, because I always though Carmilla was well, Hot?  That's something that Mavra is definitely not.  Not even in a Nightmare before Christmas or Cemetery Man sort of way.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Socratov

• Conversationalist
  • Mantle of Nanny Ogg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Do you think Mavra is Carmilla, because I always though Carmilla was well, Hot?  That's something that Mavra is definitely not.  Not even in a Nightmare before Christmas or Cemetery Man sort of way.

Well, to be honest, at Bianca's party Mavra is being described as sexy, only when harry uses his Sight he can see the corpselike appearance of her (and not that easy even). So, she does amintain a vanity illusion to look pretty. Though this might just apply as well...

Anyway, I, too, expect to see Loki (but I specualted he's allready in the story under the guise of Johnny Marcone with some mind shenanigans).

I also expect to meet Oberon (if he isn't the Erlking) as a counter to Kringle and I expect to see the other 3 archangels turn up in the books.
yes, I am male and I engage in the activity known as shipping. I just wish harry some relief from time to time. He's getting tortured enough as it is...

I think, therefore I am. I am therefore people must believe I exist. Ergo: I think people believe in me ;)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 08:24:06 AM »
Well, to be honest, at Bianca's party Mavra is being described as sexy, only when harry uses his Sight he can see the corpselike appearance of her (and not that easy even). So, she does amintain a vanity illusion to look pretty. Though this might just apply as well...

I also expect to meet Oberon (if he isn't the Erlking) as a counter to Kringle and I expect to see the other 3 archangels turn up in the books.

Are you sure about that, because I think you are confusing the description of Bianca with Mavra?  Mavra was wearing a Hamlet outfit; generally not terribly sexy on a woman, except maybe Greta Garbo in similar type outfit in Queen Christina.  Mavra (actually her double) was wearing the same thing in Blood Rites and she didn't look hot then.  Even if Harry hadn't seen her with his sight, the visible Mavra was not attractive in any way I can think of.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Jim has said that Oberon is dead.  He was involved in a romantic? triangle with Titania and Mab and it didn't end well for him.  I don't think this is in a WoJ.  I think you have to watch his most recent Q&A's on YouTube to see that comment.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:38:15 AM »
Sorry to disappoint you, but Jim has said that Oberon is dead.  He was involved in a romantic? triangle with Titania and Mab and it didn't end well for him.  I don't think this is in a WoJ.  I think you have to watch his most recent Q&A's on YouTube to see that comment.

Dudesan: You've described Santa Claus as being the Winter King. What does that title mean? Do Winter and Summer each have a trinity of Father/King/Prince, like they do with Mother/Queen/Lady? Is the King necessarily the consort of the Queen? If so, will we be seeing Oberon at some point?
Jim: 5) The Faerie realms just aren't that structured. It's more accurate to say that he is /a/ Winter King. Or even more accurately, that he is a free Wyld Fae who is of a power level that is on par with Mab's and happens to neighbor her sphere of influence, and finds it simpler to show up to family dinners during the holidays and make polite than to start staking out boundaries and establishing treaties.
Oberon... well, the guy kind of wound up between Mab and Titania in one of those romantic triangle things, back around Shakespeare's day. He didn't make it.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,34849.msg1667174.html#msg1667174
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline TheJackel

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »
Surtr
Kali
Zues
Death
Lucifer
Anubis
Set
Cronos
Peter Pan :)
You gotta risk it to get the biscuit

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »
The Baba Yaga = Mother Winter clue bat has been pretty heavy-handed, hasn't it?

BTW, coyote is an awesome trickster god and thus tons of fun.

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:44:09 AM »
Vidar, slayer of Fafnir.
Fafnir

Offline FireWorks

• Posty McPostington
  • On the lookout for minions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
Oberon
Leprechauns
Djinn
Japanese: Lord Izanagi, Kitsune
Death (could be mother winter)
Norse: Loki, Surtr, Thor, Baldur
Hindu: Narada (troublesome sage),Vetala (vampire like ghost), Asuras, Rakshasas(like Kumbhakarna)
Greek: Zues, Athena, Posidon, Hades, Kronos, Oceanus, Gaia (i suspect this was the old mother summer)
Also, Baal, Beelzebub, Azazel, Lucifer
 ;D

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:19:01 PM by FireWorks »

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 12:25:57 PM »
WOW!!! ;D the exalted Ms Duck replying to my post. you've just made my day thank you.

WOW!!! I GOT EXCALMEY POINTS!!! THank you :D
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »
WOW!!! I GOT EXCALMEY POINTS!!! THank you :D

Don't feed the duck!

The number of theories and long post alredy eat too much of my time for you to motivate her.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »

not so much as hot, but more..cute by modern standards.

short, brown hair, lesbain, obsessive about her love interests, capable of walking in daylight, can pass for human, change her shape..

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32663.msg1452338.html#msg1452338