Poll

Is Cowl Simon Petrovich?

YES
NO

Author Topic: [CD spoilers] Cowl = Simon reference thread  (Read 56929 times)

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: [CD spoilers] Cowl = Simon reference thread
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »
How many times has Petrovich actually been mentioned in the books?  (Mentions of Archangel can count).

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2013, 12:30:50 AM »
From what I remember, about as much as Peabody was mentioned.
Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine

If you go to Chichen Itza....You will Die. -Rashid the Vorlon

"The Arctis Tor Rehab Centre
We have ways of making you walk." - shades of grey

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »
How many times has Petrovich actually been mentioned in the books?  (Mentions of Archangel can count).

Mentioned at the end of Proven Guilty by Ebenezar when saying why he doesn't trust Rashid. Mentioned in Changes by Ebenezar with the "Remember Archangel!" line. Mentioned by Ebenezar again when he's revealing that he's the Blackstaff and explaining why he took out Ortega.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:48 AM »

Mentioned in Summer Knight, just before Eb became a SC member.  In fact, Simon's death caused Eb to join the SC. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2013, 04:01:04 AM »
Mentioned at the end of Proven Guilty by Ebenezar when saying why he doesn't trust Rashid. Mentioned in Changes by Ebenezar with the "Remember Archangel!" line. Mentioned by Ebenezar again when he's revealing that he's the Blackstaff and explaining why he took out Ortega.
Mentioned by Kincaid as well, re: Eb's attack on Ortega.

wizard nelson

« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2013, 04:07:54 AM »
I always assumed Peabody simply invaded some minds and the wizard(s) influenced that way just led the vampires in. It is the most simple explanation.
anyone make the peabody, kemmler connection? peabody wrote a book(don't remember the date early 1900's?) that is instrumental to using the erlking's hunter spirits to complete a darkhallow. he later turns out to be a traitor seeking the councils destruction, coincidence? i think not... peabody writing that book(in german, kemmlers native land?) is reeeal fishy to me.

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2013, 05:06:29 AM »
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Cowl was Peabody, and Dresden has been so worried about him all this time. lol (No, I don't believe this.)

That said, after some others posting, Simon is mentioned at least as often as Peabody, if not more.  Not counting the book where we get the big reveal about Peabody.  Before that I think he was mentioned several times and spoke maybe once.

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2013, 06:44:44 AM »
Doesnt LaFortier also mention Simon when he is accusing Harry of being involved? When he claims Harry would know how to get past Simon's defense because Harry was Justin's apprenticeand Justin was Simon's? All the other dead, but important, characters have made an onscreen appearance except for Simon (Maggie Sr., Harry's dad, Justin). Unless he's Cowl.

wizard nelson

« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2013, 06:57:05 AM »
ahhh but thats the thing, how important is simon? unless he is cowl not very. thanks for mentioning the justin was his apprentice thing, didn't realise that and hadn't seen it brought up.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2013, 07:15:04 AM »
ahhh but thats the thing, how important is simon? unless he is cowl not very. thanks for mentioning the justin was his apprentice thing, didn't realise that and hadn't seen it brought up.

Not important enough that Jim thought up a complete backstory for him.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,35160.msg1715986.html#msg1715986

On the other hand, Fred did avoid saying Simon was killed....
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mortax

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
Yep, no backstory.  Like Butters.  And the Archive.  Who is now the head of the Oblivion War. :)

Just because he didn't initially plan on Simon/Cowl being as important doesn't mean it didn't evolve into something else.  This is assuming the two are the same.  While I like the theory, I don't think it's conclusive.

Though Klause the Toymaker as Cowl would make me laugh my brain out of my nose.

wizard nelson

« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »
i had this crazy idea because of how DR was made. what if in order for the outsiders to penetrate reality they have to do it in multiple realities at once?(sorta) they can't outright take the DV because of 5(or 5 billion :o) closely related paralleled worlds/timelines must be busted open at once and cowl is in fact an alternate harry in which justin raised him to be the outsider general he meant him to be. (kimori= elaine or molly) and after blowing the lock in his own dimension he moved on to the next one because the theoretical door doesn't open just because you break one lock/gate. also theoretically when merlin created DR he created alternate parallels because of the time travel involved.
anyone read the merlin conspiracy? DR is starting to remind me of romanov's island in the time travel gimmick.
all crazy, crazy WAG i know...

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »
The 'Cowl and Kumori as future Harry and Molly' has been a popular theory in the past though it makes even less sense now.

Cowl as an alternate dimension Harry could probably be made to check off every box needed though now that I think about it.

I don't particularly like the theory but it could be possible I guess.  The height would be an issue.  The experience level could be explained away by alternate Harry being from a more advanced point in time in his own universe (basically an older and more battle scarred version).  Cowl's interest in how Harry stacks up could be explained away as alterna-Harry wanting to see how sissy Harry (didn't get turned to the darkside or have nearly as dark or violent of a history) stacks up.

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »
Cowl as an alternate dimension Harry could probably be made to check off every box needed though now that I think about it.

I don't particularly like the theory but it could be possible I guess.
Me too; that's also where I stand on Petrovich as Cowl.  Mostly I think Cowl is just Cowl - his identity won't matter as much as how he got the way he is, and how much of his road Harry will eventually have to walk.