Author Topic: Temple Dog Catch  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Tarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Temple Dog Catch
« on: January 01, 2013, 03:04:55 AM »
Hey guys,

I tried searching this and didn't find anything, so I decided to throw a new thread up.  As it stands, OW doesn't give a Catch for the Temple Dog's Inhuman Recovery.  And while that's fine if they're only tangentially involved, I thought it'd be nice to try to nail one down for if players are trying to play them. 

Now, based on what we know from the most recent AMA, Temple Dogs draw their power from thresholds.  At it's most restrictive, this could translate to them only using their Inhuman Recovery when they're within, or near their "place of power" (as Lea puts it).  I imagine a lot of people would find this really restrictive - Especially if they're wanting to play something reminiscent of Mouse, who we know cheats.  They're wanting to play superdog, not the glorified security guard.

We could probably widen this a bit by also allowing it to work when protecting someone who shares a home with them.  This more closely reflects the way Mouse acts in the series, where he's able to pull out some pretty intense superheroics when his friends and family are in danger.  Unfortunately, this gets quite clumsy to phrase, which is a bit of a pain.

Thoughts on the matter?  I'd rather avoid dropping the Catch altogether - The book is quite clear that it's a pretty potent power. 

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Dog Catch
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 03:23:40 AM »
Inhuman recovery and toughness are not that big of a deal, that they would be gamebreaking without a catch. I for one can live with them, especially, if the subject is in fact inhuman. A D-Rex like Mouse would certainly be tougher than your average human, and it will certainly recover from wounds more quickly. Not necessarily by supernatural means, just because they are tougher by their very physical nature. I would, for example, give a bear inhuman toughness without a catch.

Anything above that though would need a catch, I think. It's "supernatural" toughness and recovery, it says so right there in the name. And even if temple dogs are tough, I would not grant them anything above inhuman, without additional justification. The catch would then stem from that additional justification, rather than their templedogness.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 03:35:25 AM »
Inhuman recovery and toughness are not that big of a deal, that they would be gamebreaking without a catch. I for one can live with them, especially, if the subject is in fact inhuman. A D-Rex like Mouse would certainly be tougher than your average human, and it will certainly recover from wounds more quickly. Not necessarily by supernatural means, just because they are tougher by their very physical nature. I would, for example, give a bear inhuman toughness without a catch.
That does seem fair. 

Anything above that though would need a catch, I think. It's "supernatural" toughness and recovery, it says so right there in the name. And even if temple dogs are tough, I would not grant them anything above inhuman, without additional justification. The catch would then stem from that additional justification, rather than their templedogness.
I'm not so sure.  I mean, Mouse takes some fairly heavy hits throughout the series, and very rarely shows any effects.  He gets hit at fairly high speeds by a van, and walks it off.  He's shot.  He jumps straight through a window on the second floor and lands running. 

I wouldn't argue it for sure that he's at a Supernatural Toughness/Recovery level in game terms (I mean, look at the things with Supernatural resilience in OW.  There's a fairly massive spread  - Lord Raith and the Loup Garou are really supernaturally tough.  On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd put Gard that far above Mouse.  Yes, she heals quickly, but she still needed to seal her wounds to do so.  She's not like Lord Raith who just ignores bullet wounds), but his toughness and recovery certainly are supernatural, rather than just him being a monstrous canine. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:39:36 AM by Tarion »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 04:07:13 AM »
Personally, I'd go with Unholy Stuff for a Temple Dog's Catch, barring official information to the contrary, anyway. They are holy/celestial beings after all.

The 'powered by thresholds' thing sounds more like a Feeding Restriction applied to some or all of their powers than a Catch, at least to me.

Offline Ellipsis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:17:28 AM »
Bear in mind, it's totally possible to have "Unknown [+0]" as a Catch.  I mean, take, say, an elephant.  That's at least Inhuman Toughness.  But there isn't anything that would render an elephant as easy to kill as a regular human that would not work on an animal of similar toughness.  Yes, you can kill an elephant with a lot of weapons, but elephant guns also do just as much damage to bears, or to people.

And yes, the book does say every Toughness power has to be attached to a Catch, but frankly, if it's +0, it could just as easily be "A 24K diamond that's been in the center of the sun and only I know about this weakness", in which case making it "Unknown" simplifies everything for all concerned.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:23:01 AM »
Well, like you said: Mouse cheats. Could well be, that he declared the world his temple and he took physical immunity or something.

But that doesn't really help your game, does it? Ok, back on track :P

You could go with a clause that he only has his toughness and recovery powers when acting to defend what (or who) he is sworn to protect. Preemptive strikes? No superdog. Sort of like how the Righteousness bonus works. Additionally, the toughness and recovery powers could be attached to a sponsor, who catches additional blows, but for a price in debt. Maybe it's a bit like soulfire, and if the temple dog uses his toughness powers, he needs to recuperate his soul at one point, so if he uses it too long, it comes at the cost of the destruction of his soul.

I know, those are all not really standard catches, but temple dogs are by all accounts anything but standard. But all of those can work to limit the temple dogs access to his power, if you want to, even if it is just by compelling him to do so.

Bear in mind, it's totally possible to have "Unknown [+0]" as a Catch.  I mean, take, say, an elephant.  That's at least Inhuman Toughness.  But there isn't anything that would render an elephant as easy to kill as a regular human that would not work on an animal of similar toughness.  Yes, you can kill an elephant with a lot of weapons, but elephant guns also do just as much damage to bears, or to people.
That's what "Hulking size" is for, it adds a few more boxes to your stress track, like toughness does, only without the armor.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »

Personally, I've always thought that such animals have a Catch of 'Certain specific vulnerable spots', which can actually be known by people who put some serious effort into, say, hunting and knowing the anatomy of that specific animal. That strikes me as a +0 (it's at least as hard as True Love, especially if those spots aren't very accessible).

And yes, the book does say every Toughness power has to be attached to a Catch, but frankly, if it's +0, it could just as easily be "A 24K diamond that's been in the center of the sun and only I know about this weakness", in which case making it "Unknown" simplifies everything for all concerned.

This is true, certainly. I'm not sure if it should be that hard to figure out a Temple Dog's weaknesses, though.

Offline Ellipsis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:45:12 AM »
That's what "Hulking size" is for, it adds a few more boxes to your stress track, like toughness does, only without the armor.

Yeah, I know about Hulking Size.  I guess a better example would be a tortoise.  I'd bet money that the shell of an old Galapagos tortoise can stop virtually all clawed animals (excepting sharks, alligators, etc., since they can basically chew through steel), and small-caliber bullets, which is at least Inhuman Toughness.  But there's nothing that can really go through a tortoise shell that wouldn't go through a similar amount of armor on something else, yet the armor is completely natural, and a tortoise is definitely no bigger than a person.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 05:55:54 AM »
Yeah, I know about Hulking Size.  I guess a better example would be a tortoise.  I'd bet money that the shell of an old Galapagos tortoise can stop virtually all clawed animals (excepting sharks, alligators, etc., since they can basically chew through steel), and small-caliber bullets, which is at least Inhuman Toughness.  But there's nothing that can really go through a tortoise shell that wouldn't go through a similar amount of armor on something else, yet the armor is completely natural, and a tortoise is definitely no bigger than a person.
That can easily be represented by a couple of stunts, for example one for endurance, that let's her reduce up to 2 shifts of stress inflicted by bonus stress from a weapon.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 06:19:20 AM »
That can easily be represented by a couple of stunts, for example one for endurance, that let's her reduce up to 2 shifts of stress inflicted by bonus stress from a weapon.

That's substantially more powerful than an armour stunt should be by RAW.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 06:33:43 AM »
That's substantially more powerful than an armour stunt should be by RAW.
Hmm, I see armor a bit different than this. Armor also applies to unarmed attacks, this only reduces shifts by weapons, strength and similar things will still get through. It is applied less general, so I thought it would be ok to move it up to 2 shifts. If it is attacked by a weapon:1, it will only take away 1 shift off the attack.

Otherwise, just make it armor:1, might be easier that way.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 06:37:12 AM »
The existing armor Stunts are Armor 1, and then only very specific circumstances. See 'Tough Stuff' under Endurance, for example.

Armor 1 over a much broader category like 'weapon attacks' is overpowered, never mind Armor 2.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »
Personally, I've always thought that such animals have a Catch of 'Certain specific vulnerable spots', which can actually be known by people who put some serious effort into, say, hunting and knowing the anatomy of that specific animal. That strikes me as a +0 (it's at least as hard as True Love, especially if those spots aren't very accessible).

Given that research can teach you elephant anatomy, that Catch would be at least +1.

Personally, though, I prefer to use heavy weapons as a Catch. Because the massive size of an elephant reduces over-penetration and so makes heavy weaponry comparatively more effective. And because otherwise, an elephant with Supernatural Toughness and Hulking Size can shrug off anti-tank weaponry.

Inhuman recovery and toughness are not that big of a deal, that they would be gamebreaking without a catch. I for one can live with them, especially, if the subject is in fact inhuman.

I'm with you there. The game doesn't implode if you hand out a bit of Catchless Toughness/Recovery.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
Given that research can teach you elephant anatomy, that Catch would be at least +1.

Depends on how difficult that knowledge is to put into use. I mean, if you need both knowledge and other criteria (using the right weaponry in the right way, something that might require specific skills and Aspects), it's suddenly a lot more difficult. I suppose that'd probably qualify for the 'use' portion of the cost as opposed to the 'research' portion, though...

Personally, though, I prefer to use heavy weapons as a Catch. Because the massive size of an elephant reduces over-penetration and so makes heavy weaponry comparatively more effective. And because otherwise, an elephant with Supernatural Toughness and Hulking Size can shrug off anti-tank weaponry.

A very reasonable alternative, particularly depending on how you stat anti-tank weaponry (and what anti-tank weaponry we're talking about). The only real criteria we have is 'Weapon 4 or higher'. If we assume the weaponry in question is, say, Weapon 8-10 and ignores armor...

I probably wouldn't go quite that far, personally, but it's a valid direction to take things, especially since being hit by a car is Weapon 5 (a circumstance that is barely gonna scratch a tank). Anything worse than that is thus logically higher (or does something else shiny like ignore armor, or both). Of course, it can certainly be argued that a car crash should be plenty to mess up an elephant...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 10:09:20 AM »
Depends on how difficult that knowledge is to put into use. I mean, if you need both knowledge and other criteria (using the right weaponry in the right way, something that might require specific skills and Aspects), it's suddenly a lot more difficult. I suppose that'd probably qualify for the 'use' portion of the cost as opposed to the 'research' portion, though...

It would. The research portion is +1 regardless.

A very reasonable alternative, particularly depending on how you stat anti-tank weaponry (and what anti-tank weaponry we're talking about). The only real criteria we have is 'Weapon 4 or higher'. If we assume the weaponry in question is, say, Weapon 8-10 and ignores armor...

I probably wouldn't go quite that far, personally, but it's a valid direction to take things, especially since being hit by a car is Weapon 5 (a circumstance that is barely gonna scratch a tank). Anything worse than that is thus logically higher (or does something else shiny like ignore armor, or both). Of course, it can certainly be argued that a car crash should be plenty to mess up an elephant...

Given that a character with Mythic Strength can destroy reinforced steel barehanded and punches as weapon 6, I think weapons designed for use against heavy armour are probably about weapon 6.

The real effectiveness of an anti-tank weapon comes from satisfying the Catch of a tank, in my eyes. A car, though nearly as deadly to a human being, doesn't do that.

PS: I don't think it's possible for a weapon to have "ignores armour" as a quality. Weapons have a rating and Aspects, that's it.