Author Topic: Santa Claus is a Fae reference collection [CD Spoilers]  (Read 13235 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Claus is a Fae reference collection [CD Spoilers]
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 01:08:36 AM »
the vast majority of the information about the oblivion was isnt in the story itself, its in the WOJ. Heck, thomas and Lara dont even know they work for the archive. The oblivion war wa something jim thought was very nea, said he planned to put in but has now decided there is no room for it.

for example:

as to Mab's godness.. enh its up to you. Im just going by the books, and woj. Harry is very ambivalent on who is or who is not a god; he's 'theological switzerland'. Odin says he used to be a god, that the loons used to be but fell; while uriel disagrees. Jim, in his own words, refers to beings at the Mab level as "semi-divine".. aka a demi god. good enough for me.

I've actually read that WoJ and unless you're referring to different WoJ, I don't see anything in that WoJ that implies that gods need believers to have power or the ability to use it  ???.

Where does Jim refer to beings at mab's level as "semi-divine"? Can I get a quote?
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 06:35:31 AM »
I've actually read that WoJ and unless you're referring to different WoJ, I don't see anything in that WoJ that implies that gods need believers to have power or the ability to use it  ???.

Where does Jim refer to beings at mab's level as "semi-divine"? Can I get a quote?

he refers to beings at the mab level as semi divine:

Ferrovax feels absolutely no need to boast.  It's because he /is/ a Dragon, large D, an elemental force of the cosmos.  He isn't some kind of Smaug hanging around a nice apartment.  He's a Dragon in a more Asian sense of the concept, a semi-divine being who was once given authority over various portions of the mortal universe, and who was responsible for their orderly procession.  There /are/ Smauglike dragons (though not nearly as many now as there have been in the past, thanks George!) but they are essentially nothing but emissaries and servitors created in the image of the real thing.

he's also used that term in regards to shaggy (tho i cant find the quote). I think Bob uses it to describe shaggy at that point as well. And, well, by my definition, he says she has godlike powers:

(about Mab and sanity)
Then again, "crazy" is generally considered to be a lack of connection with reality--and a lot of characters in the Dresden Files can MAKE reality.  They might have a seriously skewed idea of the way reality should be, but if they can make it happen then they aren't crazy, per se.

its juts IMO, but immortal semi divine being who can change reality, raise the dead, and perform just about every miracle thats not in the first page of genesis? thats at the very least a demi god.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »
he refers to beings at the mab level as semi divine:

he's also used that term in regards to shaggy (tho i cant find the quote). I think Bob uses it to describe shaggy at that point as well. And, well, by my definition, he says she has godlike powers:

(about Mab and sanity)
its juts IMO, but immortal semi divine being who can change reality, raise the dead, and perform just about every miracle thats not in the first page of genesis? thats at the very least a demi god.

He doesn't really say that beings at Mab's level are "semi-divine" he says that Ferro is like a dragon in the asian sense of the concept. Ferro might be powerfull but that doesn't mean his power is the thing that makes him semi-divine. Correlation does not equal causation.

Not only that but we don't know that Ferro is at Mab's level or above. Heck, we know that Shaggy is far below Mab's level too. I actually think those things strengthen my position more than yours.

Where did Mab (I assume that's who your talking about) raise the dead? It's stated in GS that Harry was actually at the brink of death, not fully dead.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
Relevant in the "does Mab count as a Demigod' discussion.

Quote from: Small Favour Chapter 6
"There's a shock," I muttered under my breath. Whew. My banter gland had not gone necrotic. "But you missed the point of the question, I think. Why would Mab need such a thing? She's an immortal, a demigod."
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 08:22:42 PM »

Huh. So it turns out she is a demigod (unless Harry is wrong or just being poetic).

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2013, 10:06:54 PM »

thanks. I rembered him syaing that, just wasnt sure which book it was in.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:08 PM »
thanks. I rembered him syaing that, just wasnt sure which book it was in.

No problem.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.