Author Topic: The Leather Duster time travel theory  (Read 19337 times)

wizard nelson

Re: The Leather Duster time travel theory
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 05:19:04 PM »
I find this idea very interesting.

My suggestion is that IF Harry really is doing this, then maybe it's a form of Astral Projection. His physical body stays in place, but his soul/spirit makes a time travel trip back to speak with his younger self at various critical moments.

How? Well, GS showed how. When he was in his 'Coma' his soul traveled out like a ghost. Perhaps he learned that this was something he could do voluntarily, using magic. All he would need is a focus, a link back to his younger self, a kind of temporal Thaumaturgy.
he uses the flashback of his life in the second before he dies to try and change things ;D also been thinking maybe odins favor will be for harry to play santa clause one christmas.. to hilariously results ;D

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 05:20:50 PM »
darker thought, that is the source harry draws from to fuel his soulfire spells, each time he uses them he becomes a bit closer to ID Harry. Thus as corrupts the original intention of the soulfire (creation) it corrupts him to his darker ID. New hypothesis time!

Leave it to Harry to take something seemingly pure and taint it, just as he purified some taint earlier.
how do you get darker by using power power of light ? i can see hellfire  making harry darker in goash story harryused his soul  use magic and i didn' change the person he is

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »
It all depends the Mantle could be changed by soulfire or soulfire could be changed by the Mantle or nothing could happen. I never even thought of soulbfire as a pure force. I always saw it as a neutral that he controls. And not to be cynical, but every thing can be tainted just as everything can be purified
Rest in peace pinky toe. <Scary Voice> You shall be avenged!

Offline HistoryDave

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »
I hate to even open this can of worms but it fits with the line of reasoning from earlier posts.  Little Chicago: Harry projected himself outside his body using that device.

If Little Chicago still exists could it be used to breech the 4th dimension?  Maybe Harry can leave his body without it now that he has more experience being out of body.  LC is just a focus, though extremely complicated, magic can be performed without a focus.

Sits back to watch the speculation.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 09:54:02 PM by HistoryDave »
What is the skid pad rating and 0-60 time on a zombie t-Rex?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »
I hate to even open this can of worms but it fits with the line of reasoning from earlier posts.  Little Chicago: Harry projected himself outside his body using that device.

If Little Chicago still exists could it be used to breech the 4th dimension?  Maybe Harry can leave his body without it now that he has more experience being out of body.  LC is just a focus, though extremely complicated, magic can be performed without a focus.

Sits back to watch the speculation.

LC is a molten puddle of goo under Marcone's new building.

however, that doesnt mean Harry coudl nto build a more advacned item in the future
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline HistoryDave

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »

however, that doesnt mean Harry coudl nto build a more advacned item in the future

That is one of the reasons I hesitated to speculate. Is there a WOJ about that?  Now that you mention it, it seems like something he would say.

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »
Hed have to really modify to make it work. He had to know all of the details of the current Big Chicago to make but even then it wasn't perfect. He would have to remember the details of Chicago from that time to rebuild it and possible use it as a time machine

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 10:14:37 PM »
Unless someone saved it

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »

True. However, even if LC were not lost, it would not serve as a focus to go back to the events of Fool Moon - Chicago changes, Harry needed to update LC regularly to keep it from being obsolete. It would only be useful to go back to the time period for LC's last update remaining viable; no earlier, no later.

*Mostly ninja'd by roteral

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 10:18:45 PM »
True. However, even if LC were not lost, it would not serve as a focus to go back to the events of Fool Moon - Chicago changes, Harry needed to update LC regularly to keep it from being obsolete. It would only be useful to go back to the time period for LC's last update remaining viable; no earlier, no later.

you explained it better

Offline HistoryDave

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »

I thought the same thing after reading my own post.  LC would preserve a snapshot in time.  It might function within a certain window to the past depending on modifications.  A person with eidetic memory might have a shot at time travel based on this premise, but the premise is speculative,  I do love seeing what everyoone thinks,

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 02:08:39 AM »
A person with eidetic memory might have a shot at time travel based on this premise, but the premise is speculative,  I do love seeing what everyoone thinks,

Harry has had a person with eidetic memory in his head for some significant part of the series, come to think of it.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »
 not to menchin  that he has his case files book but realy harry wouldn't need a lc to time travel he would needto make a littel harry lol of exactly how he appeared at the time when he wanted travel to

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 02:21:46 AM »
Did anyone else find it odd that the garment fit him perfectly?  Even better than the one Susan bought him?

And where do you think Molly bought it from on the internet that she could have a custom made leather duster delivered in under 6 hours from time of order?

Elves perhaps?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 02:32:12 AM »
Did anyone else find it odd that the garment fit him perfectly?  Even better than the one Susan bought him?

And where do you think Molly bought it from on the internet that she could have a custom made leather duster delivered in under 6 hours from time of order?

Elves perhaps?

Or a place in Chicago who got paid A LOT by a limitless credit card?