Author Topic: Interesting Focus Items  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Wyntonian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Interesting Focus Items
« on: December 25, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »
Hey folks,

I'm going to be making a character with evocation, specializing in fire and spirit, and I was wondering what sort of neat focus items you've made in the past. I'd like to break away from the traditional Staff and Rod, but keep things reasonable for combat. So, anything awesome you've done?

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Focus Items
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
One of my characters has a wooden bracelet focus for biomantic magic.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
From the top of my head:
- a whip
Great as a focus for sonic based evocation, since a whip actually does a supersonic boom when used right.

- gloves
Depending on the kind of gloves, they might even offer some protection or weaponry. There are some out there filled with quartz sand over the back of your hand, which would be perfect for this sort of thing. You can fill it with enchanted sand or just cover it in runes or whatever narrative might fit your practitioner.

-gloves 2.0
Do you remember Pyro from X-men? He could only control fire, not create it, so he build a glove that would pull the lever on a lighter if he moved his arm the right way, so he could create and control the fire with one move. You could do something similar as a fire focus, a glove that creates a tiny flame with a tiny effort of will. Now that doesn't actually cost you an action, it's just the narrative, that you can do more powerful fire evocations, since you only have to control the fire, not call it up, when using the glove.

- brass knuckles
Like rings but 20% more ouch on mundane fighting. Kind of boring though, I think.

- A frisbee
Can be great as a kinetic attack focus. You make a movement as if you throw the frisbee, but instead of releasing it, you release a disc of kinetic energy instead that flies at your target. Could do the same with a ball or boomerang or similar things.

- glasses
A focus for cyclops style laser beams would be the first choice, but a lot of spirit evocations would fit as well. A science-magic character of mine even has a single lens as a focus for optical evocation.

- A pouch with a pulverized mixture of sulfur and ashes (and maybe some other stuff)
You can use the powder for multiple things. First, you prepare it like you would any focus item, that takes a good amount of time, more than just grinding up the ingredients and mixing them up. You need to get the ashes from coal you burned on the full moon or something like that. Regardless, for all intents and purposes, the pouch with the powder is your focus item. But of course you could use the powder itself to make mundane maneuvers, throwing a hand full of the powder at your foes and then igniting it, using the tag to increase your attack. After that you could say you have enough powder in your car or in your lab to refill, or you selfcompel to remove your focus item.

- a phoenix feather
Nothing much to say. Acquiring one might be tricky, but it should be one of THE best fire focus items around. If your wizard has one, there should definitely be a story behind it.

- replaced bodyparts
This might not be for the squeamish, but it is definitely an option. Depending on the wizards state of mind, he might have removed the bodypart in question himself (warlock?!), or it might have been an accident or wounds from various battles. A glass eye would be an example. Another one would be from a friend of mine. He is missing the front two segments of his right index finger. I could see a focus item like a wooden replacement that is attached with strips of leather around the wrist. For attack spells, it is literally point and shoot.

- branding iron
It symbolizes fire fairly well I think. Though it might be too close to the staff and rod you are trying to avoid. On the plus side, it doubles as cold iron in an already weaponized way. And throwing a branding through the air is all kinds of cool. Hmm, I think I need to create a new character just for this.  :P

- a cape
Kind of like Bianca's dress of fire in GP. A red cape that transforms when you draw upon it's power, engulfing you in cold flames.

- bottle of water
That's right, simple as that. Well, maybe not. It should be a pretty sturdy bottle. Thick plexiglas for example. Then you'd need some special water, which would be the actual focus. Water from a special well. Or from one of those geysers somewhere. Maybe you get some special water in a bargain with a water elemental. (ok, maybe better for water than for yours, but while we're at it ;) )
Would work for fire if you filled it with some kind of flammable liquid and have an atomizer on top. In that case, the bottle is enchanted and transfers its properties to the liquid when it is sprayed out.

Of course you'll always have to think about the size restrictions if you want to put a lot of focus item slots on one item. If those above aren't to your liking, you should tell us a bit more about your character, so we can better see what might fit his style.

“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 02:33:49 AM »
Jewelry is my usual go-to. Rings, necklaces, earrings, amulets, bracelets and such. Easy to carry, easy to personalize, easy to conceal. Pick your materials based on your Element and style and away you go.

Weapons are also good, if you need a lot of slots in one item, as are articles of clothing (like some of those mentioned above).

Offline LordDraqo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 02:40:18 AM »
One of my players went with tattoos as his focus item used for shield/armor in combat.

Offline Wyntonian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 03:28:32 AM »
My planned character is a domovoi, a Russian hearth spirit that is more or less permanently stuck in the real world and assigned to a single family line to protect them. Recently, the last surviving member of his bonded family died of old age, but not before instructing my character (name pending) to take on all of humanity as his "family" and protect them. So, as a hearth spirit, he has fire evocation, and as a consummate bodyguard, he has spirit to throw up decent shields, veils and blind attackers.

I'm also considering ritual (wards) or (divination), but I don't know how much use they'll actually see. He'll also have immunity to fire, some toughness abilities and other cool stuff.

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 05:39:53 AM »
A dagger made of obsidian and dipped in a small jar of human ash. A soot-blackened hearth brick inlaid with gold runes. A Russian mob's submachine gun, fully functional, modified with charred wood from an arson in the handle and the trigger is a sliver of glowing ruby, once jewelry from the heart of the same fire.

A river-smoothed orb of quartz. An iron gauntlet set with stained glass from a cathedral along the knuckles (might also count as a holy weapon for Fists attacks). The will of the dead man you serve, sealed with wax heated in your hearthfire. The same will, but kept inside a hollow silver-handled cane.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 06:41:34 AM »
The barrel or slide of an older weapon.  Take one of those gorgeous 1911s with all the scrollwork... And use that.  Some 1897 shotgun that survived the Great War has some fun ideas, things like that.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 07:31:57 AM »

Offline Kasharin Manichea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »
How about an old fashioned plumed pen. You could draw magical runes in the air.

Offline Wyntonian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »
Thanks for the link, Sanctaphrax.

I like the last one, Viatos. I might make that a Spirit attack one.

What's your personal favorites for shields? That's going to be a major focus for my character, and I can't think of anything terribly creative. Maybe the family's signet ring?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 02:42:51 PM »
Here's the worst focus item I've ever heard suggested: a bellybutton stud.

Reasoning for and against: there's virtually no way anyone can take it from you - especially if you keep your clothes on.  Which not only seems to be a legal perversion of the rules but also gives new meaning to the term "navel gazing".

Richard

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 03:07:30 PM »
Here's the worst focus item I've ever heard suggested: a bellybutton stud.

Reasoning for and against: there's virtually no way anyone can take it from you - especially if you keep your clothes on.  Which not only seems to be a legal perversion of the rules but also gives new meaning to the term "navel gazing".

Richard
I don't think it's a perversion of the rules. It's basically a ring in a different form, maybe even smaller than a ring, so 1 or 2 focus item slots tops, that's far from game breaking.

Additionally, think about what a supernatural thug might do, if he learns about the focus item. I do not think he would bother removing it with care, when it is only attached through a thin stretch of skin...
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »
I'd hate to imagine the results of it being overloaded like Harry's shield bracelet...   :o
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 12:53:46 AM »
I don't think it's a perversion of the rules. It's basically a ring in a different form, maybe even smaller than a ring, so 1 or 2 focus item slots tops, that's far from game breaking.

The reason I feel it is a perversion of the rules is that it's practically impossible to lose.

Harry can (and often does) drop his blasting rod.  The bellybutton stud is just this side of using a tattoo as a focus item.

Richard