3 (2.9%)
None of the above.
9 (8.7%)
Nemesis is involved
32 (30.8%)
Injun Joe
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Connections pt. 2: Suspect for SF-FM-BR-LH (Cold Days Spoilers)  (Read 20559 times)

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Connections pt. 2: Suspect for SF-FM-BR-LH (Cold Days Spoilers)
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2012, 01:17:41 AM »
 there is a woj that say harry just better at  using his magic more efficiently now than at the begging   exculiding soulfire
 in storm front he had to put way more magic to cover his mistakes so to speek  training molly made him better a the refining his abiltys

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2012, 02:08:35 AM »
there is a woj that say harry just better at  using his magic more efficiently now than at the begging   exculiding soulfire
 in storm front he had to put way more magic to cover his mistakes so to speek  training molly made him better a the refining his abiltys
Refining his abilities makes him stronger.  There are the books themselves that show Harry working out to be more physically stronger....jogging...training in martial arts with Murphy...etc.... 

Since you don't include the link to the woj...it could be outdated, you know.

Still...I think what is actually shown in the story should supercede woj...since writers sometimes forget what they've written.  :o
"I have a monster under my bed, and it's Mouse.…There was another one there but me and Mouse slayerized it. --Maggie Dresden

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2012, 02:13:56 AM »

Refining his abilities makes him stronger.  There are the books themselves that show Harry working out to be more physically stronger....jogging...training in martial arts with Murphy...etc.... 

Since you don't include the link to the woj...it could be outdated, you know.

Still...I think what is actually shown in the story should supercede woj...since writers sometimes forget what they've written.  :o

sorry i don't know howto do a link
but  he is a copy and paste
2011 Bitten by Books Q&A
Now that Harry has used magic in this book without and tailismans, will he be a stronger/more adept wizard with his magic in the next book?”
Harry really hasn’t gotten all that much stronger since the series started. He’s gotten more efficient, more skilled, and smarter, and inasmuch as that makes him more powerful, that will continue. I mean, what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger…
Oh wait.
  and your right physicaly he has imporved

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2012, 02:22:50 AM »
sorry i don't know howto do a link
but  he is a copy and paste
2011 Bitten by Books Q&A
Now that Harry has used magic in this book without and tailismans, will he be a stronger/more adept wizard with his magic in the next book?”

Harry really hasn’t gotten all that much stronger since the series started. He’s gotten more efficient, more skilled, and smarter, and inasmuch as that makes him more powerful, that will continue. I mean, what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger…
Oh wait.
  and your right physicaly he has imporved

well Jims being half serious and half snarky there. after all, he did get killed, and it did make him stronger :)

there is another woj in which he compars Harry to Tavi, and notes that even as Harry gets better, he is moving into a much deeper sectionn of the pond.. the bad guys are so much stronger in the later books Harry is still outclassed and will have to outthink them.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2012, 02:26:29 AM »
 k so i got it wrong then?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2012, 02:27:08 AM »

well Jims being half serious and half snarky there. after all, he did get killed, and it did make him stronger :)

there is another woj in which he compars Harry to Tavi, and notes that even as Harry gets better, he is moving into a much deeper sectionn of the pond.. the bad guys are so much stronger in the later books Harry is still outclassed and will have to outthink them.

You mean this one?

The character progression of Tavi seems to parallel that of Harry, where he starts off low, gets a little more power, and then at the end, he gets a massive power boost between the 5th and 6th books.  I was just wondering if something similar to that is going to happen to Harry, maybe before the Apocalyptic Trilogy?
I never want Dresden to be the big fish in the pond.  I want Dresden to be the smart, fast, medium sized fish, who is constantly outclassed by all the actual big fish. And I don’t see how we’re going to get out of that. I’m not planning on skyrocketing Dresden anytime soon, although the next book should be pretty interesting to see how that turns out. I think Dresden is in the process of finding out that the pond is whole lot bigger than he thought it was, and there’s going to be a whole lot of new doors opening after this book.  Or, as I told my shocked editor after she read the end of Changes, I think she said something along the lines of “What were you thinking?”  And my response was [enthusiastic] “That now we can do the good stuff!”

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21772.msg1324827.html#msg1324827
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2012, 03:05:40 AM »
You mean this one?

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21772.msg1324827.html#msg1324827

yup

well one of them. there are several other posts in the same vein he did on that tour.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2012, 03:27:35 AM »
Ok, I found the reference. Its in ch 30 of FM-Denton and Harry are talking about how the belts have led the FBI agents to kill people and they sent Harry after the lycanthropes. Denton says 'After the deaths (the people the FBI agents killed the month before), I was warned about a governing body. A sort of magic police. The White Council. That you worked for them.'.  So Denton was given the belts and killed people. Then someone warned him about the WC. Assuming he wasnt being helped by 2 unrelated people, whoever helped him was not hands off. Therefore, if it was Cowl, he shouldve known more then he did in DB.
Well ... somebody was either (badly) misinformed and/or lying outright. As of Fool Moon, Dresden is most definitely not working for the White Council - and while the White Council has the Wardens for policing magic users, that's far from all that the Council does or its primary function.

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2012, 03:32:15 AM »
Well ... somebody was either (badly) misinformed and/or lying outright. As of Fool Moon, Dresden is most definitely not working for the White Council - and while the White Council has the Wardens for policing magic users, that's far from all that the Council does or its primary function.
thats the warden primary fuction

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2012, 04:14:24 AM »
thats the warden primary fuction
The Wardens are not the entirety of the White Council ... but they probably are the most visible portion.

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2012, 04:16:44 AM »

The Wardens are not the entirety of the White Council ... but they probably are the most visible portion.
sorry my bad skim reading missed part of it

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2012, 01:03:49 AM »

Harry wasn't a warden in Fool Moon although he was considered a council member....he didn't work for them or get a paycheck yet.
"I have a monster under my bed, and it's Mouse.…There was another one there but me and Mouse slayerized it. --Maggie Dresden

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2012, 01:18:47 AM »

Well, the reason I found that particular quote was only to point out that whoever was helping Denton, it wasn't a situation where they handed him the belts and then left him to his own devices. If Cowl was the one who helped Denton and he did not just abandon him, and given the quote, he did not, then in DB, Cowl should've had more first hand knowledge about Harry's capabilities than his statement would suggest.

Re: how bad the info is about Harry working for the WC--I agree, its terrible. Harry even bursts out laughing when Denton tells him about it. There are so many different reasons that statement could've been made that way, I think its impossible to know the specifics. Did Denton just conflate the Wardens and the WC when whoever it was told him about them? Did the person lie on purpose to get Harry killed in a preemptive strike by Denton? Did the person just not know that Harry wasn't working for the WC, let alone the Wardens? I don't think we have any evidence to point us any particular direction.

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2012, 04:27:59 AM »
Well, the reason I found that particular quote was only to point out that whoever was helping Denton, it wasn't a situation where they handed him the belts and then left him to his own devices. If Cowl was the one who helped Denton and he did not just abandon him, and given the quote, he did not, then in DB, Cowl should've had more first hand knowledge about Harry's capabilities than his statement would suggest.

Re: how bad the info is about Harry working for the WC--I agree, its terrible. Harry even bursts out laughing when Denton tells him about it. There are so many different reasons that statement could've been made that way, I think its impossible to know the specifics. Did Denton just conflate the Wardens and the WC when whoever it was told him about them? Did the person lie on purpose to get Harry killed in a preemptive strike by Denton? Did the person just not know that Harry wasn't working for the WC, let alone the Wardens? I don't think we have any evidence to point us any particular direction.
Fair point - it does indicate that Denton's source for the belts didn't just leave him to his own devices.
On the information front ... Denton pretty clearly had bad information. I'm dubious about it having been an attempt to get Dresden killed preemptively - there's no known reason (or entity) as of Fool Moon that wants Dresden dead. It is a strong point against Cowl being closely involved - his info seems to be better than that, plus no reason to want Dresden dead. It also pretty well wipes out any possibility of the Erlking being involved.
I don't see any apparent reason for the belt-distributor to lie about Dresden the White Council solely existing to police magic users and Dresden being one of them, or to attribute everything the Wardens do onto all of the White Council.
I'm inclined to suspect that the entity that gave Denton the belts also had bad information, but I'm not quite sure why or who that would - or could - have been.

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2012, 06:12:15 AM »
there is no one individual. it is the circle.
belts were given to FBI agents an let loose. they were going after Marcone. Marcone who claimed Harry was working for him in SF which was where Bianca's aide was killed. she wanted revenge on Harry why not Marcone? also Reds were working to gain territory in Chicago while Marcone was holding them off. not saying Bianca created them but could have been motivational as to where they were aimed. than lets not forget the Bloodline curse is based fom the RCV.

remember the Outsiders look all chaotic an stuff but are big time team work faction. so why wouldn't their operatives? infected beings of differing factions work together. trying to hang it all on one person doesnt work for me. though Cowl seems to be the point man in certain missions.

Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]