Author Topic: Mavra is Morgana le Fay by grandPanjandrum (CD Spoilers)  (Read 15043 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Mavra is Morgana le Fay by grandPanjandrum (CD Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
Cool theory. One nit to pick--I dont think Mavra attacked Harry and Thomas for no reason. I think she was gunning for *Thomas*. During the first attack Harry hadnt even been officially hired. Then at the party, when she learns of the attack, Justine says something like, 'I thought you didnt have to worry about Mavra'. Then, during the attack outside the movie studio, the MavraPuppet talks about Thomas as 'the one who betrayed us.'

I had been thinking of all that as Mavra having a beef with the White Court in general over the Stokerlypse rather than Thomas in particular, and doesn't Mavra, during that attack, characterise Thomas, Lara and Inari all by their relationships to Lord Raith, suggesting he's the one she sees as her actual target ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
I had been thinking of all that as Mavra having a beef with the White Court in general over the Stokerlypse rather than Thomas in particular, and doesn't Mavra, during that attack, characterise Thomas, Lara and Inari all by their relationships to Lord Raith, suggesting he's the one she sees as her actual target ?

That was my impression, too.  And the fact that Lord Raith sent Thomas to Bianca's in Grave Peril (with the hopes of his demise) and keeping himself safe (due to his affliction ala Maggie Sr) seems to back that up...since Mavra was a guest of that party.
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 05:37:19 PM »
Check out the Hairstyles of the Romanticism Era (about 900 AD) which would be about the time Morgana would have come of age as a wizard. 
http://library.thinkquest.org/26829/3-styles_e.htm
I think roman is more likely. Arthur is more late roman than Middle Ages.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
Where does it say that? Is it a WoJ? Because I don't remember anything in the books concerning Lea's other names.

its in the mythology.  ;D

Jim Butcher- only modern fantasy author that requires homework lol   ;D
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Drulinda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
I think operating a wizard while you're dead is probably kind of a hinderance.  The most obvious example of this would be the Darkhallow.  The strength of the recipient gains more and more power by absorbing (or eating) the power of others.  It results in the human residents within a five mile radius having their life pulled right out of them into the recipient as well.  It seems to me that there is a definite relationship between life and magical power.

suggest that Mavra was a real powerhouse before she was turned to the Black Court.
Raises a good point, becuse others have reported that jim said that white court wizards are weaker then mortal wizards and the Black court is the most magical of the three major courts, while im still inclined to belive that the black court might be inherently more effective at magic then mortals, however harry does doubt that kemmler techniques would apply to mavra so assuming hes correct if this was her specialty in life it makes sense she would have been weakend upon being turned.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »
Raises a good point, becuse others have reported that jim said that white court wizards are weaker then mortal wizards and the Black court is the most magical of the three major courts, while im still inclined to belive that the black court might be inherently more effective at magic then mortals, however harry does doubt that kemmler techniques would apply to mavra so assuming hes correct if this was her specialty in life it makes sense she would have been weakend upon being turned.

Oh noes, im a black court elder and im low on gas ?? what do i do?

(slurp, slurp)

ahhhh refreshing...

im not sure if the black court are 'flying bricks' or 'liches' or both, but either way, they are formidable.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Drulinda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
Oh noes, im a black court elder and im low on gas ?? what do i do?

(slurp, slurp)

ahhhh refreshing...

im not sure if the black court are 'flying bricks' or 'liches' or both, but either way, they are formidable.
Indeed. (prays to jim they dont all go the way of the reds)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 07:22:24 PM »
Epic theory.  Thanks elegast for pulling it out to make a seperate thread, and thanks again GPJD for being epic :) 

I wish curators could clone someone's post to pull it out for a different topic.  (something I'd like to do for transcript transplants too)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Vondrakenhof

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
its in the mythology.  ;D

Jim Butcher- only modern fantasy author that requires homework lol   ;D

I have been unable to find any source that links the Leanansidhe to the lady of the lake.
"What's the working theory?

"A gorilla did it."

The sheer idiocy of a statement like that is enough to rupture a blood vessel in a reasonable person's brain.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 01:59:41 PM »
I have been unable to find any source that links the Leanansidhe to the lady of the lake.

Ill have to dig.. its not something I ran into myself, there was a thread by another poster a while back that went into all the various myths about the leanasidhe.  ;D

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »
I don't like it as:

I don't like X=Y, except Cowl=Simon .
There's no strong evidence.
Marva is too weak to be a 1000+ years old Merlin's apprentice.

That being said, there is a connection between the Black Court and the Outsiders, according to a quote in White Night.

I actually have WN right now. Could you give a page number or a quote?
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 03:08:19 PM »

Oh...man...don't ruin my fantasy!!!  I've always thought The Leanansidhe to be the Tenth Goddess of Muse...otherwise known as Sappho of Lesbos .   Just kidding.  The other nine were hags compared to her, though.   :P
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
I actually have WN right now. Could you give a page number or a quote?

its near the end, when harry is in the cave, talking to lash .. she emntions the connection between his mother and the black court.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
its near the end, when harry is in the cave, talking to lash .. she emntions the connection between his mother and the black court.

I see it. It really seems like a typo though since we haven't seen any connections between the BC and Maggie in the books while we have seen a few possible connections between the black council and Maggie.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »
I see it. It really seems like a typo though since we haven't seen any connections between the BC and Maggie in the books while we have seen a few possible connections between the black council and Maggie.

WOJ it's not a typo.
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files