Author Topic: Mavra is Morgana le Fay by grandPanjandrum (CD Spoilers)  (Read 15046 times)

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Mavra is Morgana le Fay by grandPanjandrum (CD Spoilers)
« on: December 19, 2012, 05:58:19 AM »
She, most definitely, is dead.  Of course, now that she holds The Word of Kemmerler, she can probably improve her color and smell a bit.  Mavra is Morgana le Fay  *gasp*. 

It seems to me that she wanted to "outlive" the original Merlin for some reason.  So she permitted herself to be taken by a Black Court Master.  Now, she intends to use the premier "Journal of Necromantic Medicine" to return to her live self.  In the interim, she has been spending her time tearing down all that Merlin might hold dear:

1.  She attempted to secure Excalibur by trading with her own Athame. Thwarted by Harry.
2.  She used the Red Court as a cat's paw to start a war with Merlin's White Council (hoping to destroy it). Again, thwarted by Harry.
3.  She attempted to use Outsiders/ sorcerers/ and thralls to destroy Demonreach, because it is one of Merlin's most exquisite accomplishments.  Once again, thwarted by Harry.

In Blood Rites, Mavra shows up and stupidly attacks Harry, Thomas and Mouse for no reason with no result.  The purpose was to let Harry know she's in town, and a challenge to hunt her down.  She doesn't come out and play herself, because the whole basis of her visiting Chicago was to lead him by the nose to her lair.  Assume he would bring allies, and compromise those allies with photos.  Murphy worked out perfectly for leverage to secure Kemmerler's Word.  She needs it to...well...come back to life.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.  Of course, Merlin anticipated this and is sleeping deep down in Demonreach well waiting.  Not one to go in his sleep, indeed.  Can we read your journals now, Ebenezer? :o

Truly, I think you can find direct and indirect connections to Mavra/ Morgana le Fay in every single book in the series so far.
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mavra is Morgana le Fay by grandPanjandrum (CD Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 06:15:48 AM »
Cool theory. One nit to pick--I dont think Mavra attacked Harry and Thomas for no reason. I think she was gunning for *Thomas*. During the first attack Harry hadnt even been officially hired. Then at the party, when she learns of the attack, Justine says something like, 'I thought you didnt have to worry about Mavra'. Then, during the attack outside the movie studio, the MavraPuppet talks about Thomas as 'the one who betrayed us.' I think your idea she was out to get Harry here is incorrect, but its really a side note to a really interesting theory. And I keep finding a bunch of Round Table references lately as I'm rereading the books...its kinda funny, if you're right, that Morgana/Mavra traded her own knife to the Leanansidhe/Lady of the Lake. Didnt excalibur come from her? So they swapped their own weapons?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:18:22 AM by Cenphx »

Offline XoVeR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:24:32 AM »
Ooooooohhh I like that theory.

I mean we know Mavra is Wizard Level with Magic  and Morgana obviously was pretty gifted with the Dark Arts.  She also has a burning hatred of Michael's sword and was trying to unmake it.  I always wondered why she wanted the Word of Kemmler and your theory certainly seems plausible.  But there is one thing that is bothering me.  It seems Cowl is in cahoots with the Outsiders, but if Mavra is Morgana and gave the Athame to Leanansidhe to start the Infection of Nemesis, Why would both Mavra and Cowl be looking for the Word of Kemmler?  Would that serve as them crossing purposes?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:57:57 AM »
Mavra is powerfull as a wizard but not the near merlin kind of power I expect from Morgana le fay.

Mavra is also not celtic but eastern eastern european. In her time there probably were no black court vampires in Brittain. Modern transport and communications changed a lot.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »
I don't like it as:

I don't like X=Y, except Cowl=Simon .
There's no strong evidence.
Marva is too weak to be a 1000+ years old Merlin's apprentice.

That being said, there is a connection between the Black Court and the Outsiders, according to a quote in White Night.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:31:00 AM by Elegast »

Offline escapedpsycho

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »
Everyone assumes Mavra is a weak witch. But she is Council material, and we've yet to see a her throw a real punch. I like this theory, it would tie into the Athurian legend nicely as well.

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 10:52:16 AM »
There is no good reason to think that Mavra has shown anywhere close to her true levels of power and skill.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »
im a very big Mavra cheerleader around here.. but i dont think shes strong enought to be Mab's mysterious long lost sister. Mavra's not even an elder, most likely. From what Eb implied, she's the Black Court's 007, not  a boss.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Vondrakenhof

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
Cool theory. One nit to pick--I dont think Mavra attacked Harry and Thomas for no reason. I think she was gunning for *Thomas*. During the first attack Harry hadnt even been officially hired. Then at the party, when she learns of the attack, Justine says something like, 'I thought you didnt have to worry about Mavra'. Then, during the attack outside the movie studio, the MavraPuppet talks about Thomas as 'the one who betrayed us.' I think your idea she was out to get Harry here is incorrect, but its really a side note to a really interesting theory. And I keep finding a bunch of Round Table references lately as I'm rereading the books...its kinda funny, if you're right, that Morgana/Mavra traded her own knife to the Leanansidhe/Lady of the Lake. Didnt excalibur come from her? So they swapped their own weapons?

The Leanansidhe isn't the Lady of the Lake, she's a muse. She inspires poets and artists and the like in return for love and devotion and then they go mad. Or die. Probably both.
"What's the working theory?

"A gorilla did it."

The sheer idiocy of a statement like that is enough to rupture a blood vessel in a reasonable person's brain.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
The Leanansidhe isn't the Lady of the Lake, she's a muse. She inspires poets and artists and the like in return for love and devotion and then they go mad. Or die. Probably both.

mmm the leanansidhe may very well be the lady of the lake, its one of her old names. :)

in the real world, its because legends and stories tend to change. in the Jim verse, its probably a mantle thing.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Vondrakenhof

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
mmm the leanansidhe may very well be the lady of the lake, its one of her old names. :)

in the real world, its because legends and stories tend to change. in the Jim verse, its probably a mantle thing.

Where does it say that? Is it a WoJ? Because I don't remember anything in the books concerning Lea's other names.
"What's the working theory?

"A gorilla did it."

The sheer idiocy of a statement like that is enough to rupture a blood vessel in a reasonable person's brain.

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »
im a very big Mavra cheerleader around here.. but i dont think shes strong enought to be Mab's mysterious long lost sister. Mavra's not even an elder, most likely. From what Eb implied, she's the Black Court's 007, not  a boss.

I think operating a wizard while you're dead is probably kind of a hinderance.  The most obvious example of this would be the Darkhallow.  The strength of the recipient gains more and more power by absorbing (or eating) the power of others.  It results in the human residents within a five mile radius having their life pulled right out of them into the recipient as well.  It seems to me that there is a definite relationship between life and magical power.

I'd counter that the fact that Mavra can perform any magic at all (including flawless veils, multiple thralls, mind communication, and dazzling illusions) suggest that Mavra was a real powerhouse before she was turned to the Black Court.

On a side note, her pageboy Hamlet hair reflects about 500 AD.  Which was supposed to be about the time of the Pendragons.
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

wizard nelson

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 03:13:18 PM »

harry goes to summon lea from a lake in DB but mab shows instead.. in a very avalon sorta way. yea one of them is the lake lady... also one of them is the lock ness monster too lol :o

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 03:16:01 PM »
On a side note, her pageboy Hamlet hair reflects about 500 AD.  Which was supposed to be about the time of the Pendragons.

According to wikipedia, the pageboy style was popular in the 60s.

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
According to wikipedia, the pageboy style was popular in the 60s.

Check out the Hairstyles of the Romanticism Era (about 900 AD) which would be about the time Morgana would have come of age as a wizard. 

...the ordinary citizens had their hair in page-boy style, short or chin-length.
http://library.thinkquest.org/26829/3-styles_e.htm
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.