Author Topic: List of Headaches [CD spoilers]  (Read 21789 times)

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: List of Headaches [CD spoilers]
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »
Sorry if this is dense of me, but I don't remember Jim saying that the parasite WAS Lash. I remember him saying she'd be back, and I remember that coinciding nicely with some other chat about the Alice statue and Eternal Silence and proxies. But I don't remember him equating the parasite with Lash specifically. Is that the quote, or are we just linking proximal thoughts?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »
Sorry if this is dense of me, but I don't remember Jim saying that the parasite WAS Lash. I remember him saying she'd be back, and I remember that coinciding nicely with some other chat about the Alice statue and Eternal Silence and proxies. But I don't remember him equating the parasite with Lash specifically. Is that the quote, or are we just linking proximal thoughts?

The person who got us the videos of a signing (can't remember which) asked Jim about the possibility when getting their book signed (rather than at the Q&A section) and he supposedly confirmed the idea that Lash is the Parasite is correct.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline spameroo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2012, 03:50:44 AM »
But, I thought this was why he was so familiar with Demonreach in Small Favor...not the Wizard Sight as Luccio believed.  Maggie Sr. makes a point of stating that power comes with this knowledge.  Power comes with all knowledge...so it's odd she should mention it.

I've started to think Luccio might have been lying about that in the first place. As far as I can remember, that was literally the only time such a phenomenon was ever even alluded to by anyone. None of the wizards senior to Harry ever mentioned it again, and he never seemed to experience anything he thought to ascribe to it.

I don't really know WHY she would have made it up, but it always did strike me as sort of a non sequitur.

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2012, 03:58:26 AM »
I've started to think Luccio might have been lying about that in the first place. As far as I can remember, that was literally the only time such a phenomenon was ever even alluded to by anyone. None of the wizards senior to Harry ever mentioned it again, and he never seemed to experience anything he thought to ascribe to it.

I don't really know WHY she would have made it up, but it always did strike me as sort of a non sequitur.
ya but it did turn out to be an important place to harry wich it  did so your saying she lied but got it half right kinda streching it a little thin

Offline spameroo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2012, 04:28:26 AM »
I think everyone who found out he had visited DR knew it was going to be important for him eventually. I'm not saying she was trying to lie about that, but that she was trying to mislead him about the source of his premonition. She did seem to have strong opinions about the type of person his mom was.  Maybe she was doing something similar to Maeve convincing Lily that she could detect Nemesis infections with a hand wave.

Offline Homebrewmatt

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2013, 02:47:38 AM »
The interesting part of the headache in SF where he has the stabbing pains in the temples surrounding the discussion about his blasting rod is that Michael helps treat that headache.  He appeals to the WG, touches Harry on the head, and Harry feels a heat and the headache goes away.

That seems to suggest more than someone messing with Harry's memory.

Offline punkinholler

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2013, 05:04:41 AM »
The interesting part of the headache in SF where he has the stabbing pains in the temples surrounding the discussion about his blasting rod is that Michael helps treat that headache.  He appeals to the WG, touches Harry on the head, and Harry feels a heat and the headache goes away.

That seems to suggest more than someone messing with Harry's memory.

Are you saying TWG's intervention itself indicates greater significance or are you suggesting that the fact that TWG's intervention was required to fix Harry's head suggests that the headache was caused by more than memory manipulation?
"The tiny capes are a dead giveaway"

Offline Homebrewmatt

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2013, 01:01:33 AM »
It just seems to me that the WG intervening brings more significance to the headache than Mab simply manipulating Harry's memory

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2013, 12:05:15 AM »
The key seems to be the location of the headaches.  He's got two places he normally has headaches.
1) Between his eyes/bridge of nose
2) His temples.

I think the key headaches are the temple headaches.  I think the temple itself has been emphasized several times.

I'm currently thinking that Mab hasn't altered Harry's memories, like we thought.  I think it was the Parasite, who I think is Lash.  I think Mab and Lash have been working together longer than we thought.

The link to the parasite is through the "ice pick" descriptions.  Those link to the temples, with link to the headaches since Lash disappeared.

There may even be a link to the damage Harry suffered at Lash's 'demise', and other mental manipulations we've seen.

Mental/Memory Manipulation
PG - pg. 112  (Molly manipulated Rose's head; but what about Harry?)
     Worse, there were what looked almost like burn marks on her temples—small, black, neat
holes, as if someone had bored a hot needle through the skin and skull beneath.
     My head started pounding and I pushed the Sight away. I leaned my hip against the wall
for a second and rubbed at my temples until the throbbing subsided and I was sure that my
normal vision had returned.

PG - pg. 134 (Titania manipulated Lily)
     “I know,” Lily said. She lifted her hand to a temple and closed her eyes in a faint
frown of pain. “But…’’ She shook her head and fell silent again as Titania’s binding sealed
her tongue.

PG - pg. 250 (Molly manipulated Nelson's head)
     And each of his temples bore tiny, neat holes, sharp and cauterized, as if by a laser
scalpel.

Birth of Lash
WN - pg. 309
     “For an inhumanly brilliant spiritual entity, you can really miss the freaking point.” I
poked a finger at my own temple. “Think. Maybe you don’t have to be Lasciel.”

WN - pg. 442 (Bob examining Harry after Lash's sacrifice)
     “I think that’s where the damage is. I mean, I’m looking at you right now, and your head
has been riddled with tiny holes, boss.”

WN - pg. 444 (Bob talking about Lash existing off of Harry)
     “So it was running off my soul? Like I’m some kind of battery?”

SmF Headaches, First Tarp
SmF - pg. 46  (When Mab took the rod; what else happened?)
     Mab’s frozen-berry lips lifted in a silent snarl, and the world turned into a curtain of
white agony that centered on my eyes. Nothing had ever hurt so much. I fell down, but I wasn’t
lucky enough to hit my head and knock myself unconscious. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t breathe.
I couldn’t scream.
     Then there was something cold beside me. And something very soft and very cold touched my
ear. I recognized the sensation, from the far side of the pain. Lips. Mab’s lips. The Queen of
Air and Darkness placed a gentle row of kisses down the outside ridge of my ear, then sucked the
lobe into her mouth and bit down quite gently.

SmF - pg.273-274
     On the opposite side of Ivy, Rosanna launched more traditional lances of flame from her
open palms, much like the ones I—
     —a savage pain went through my skull for a second—son of a bitch—
     —but Ivy dispersed them with delicately applied wedges of air, intercepting each burst of
fire far enough short of her body to prevent the bloom of heat as they died from scorching her
—though the two more physical Denarians who strained to force their way past the barrier of
snapping sparks that formed whenever they tried to get close had far less luck.

SmF - pg. 312
     Pain stabbed me in the head, ice picks plunging into both temples. I flinched and
doubled over. Blasting rod. Familiar words. I fought to summon an image of what went
with the words, but I couldn’t find anything. I knew I had a memory associated with those
words, but try as I might, I couldn’t drag it out. It was like a shape covered by some heavy
tarp. I knew an object was beneath, but I couldn’t get to it.

Turn Coat Headache, Another Tarp
TC - pg. 1/9
     The summer sun was busy broiling the asphalt from Chicago’s streets, the agony in my head
had kept me horizontal for half a day, and some idiot was pounding on my apartment door.
     I pulled the door most of the way shut and sank down into the easy chair by the fireplace,
where I could rub my temples and try to think.

TC - pg. 267
     A long table in the middle of the room was currently covered by a canvas tarp, and the
floor at the far end of the lab had a perfect circle of pure copper embedded in it. The
remains of several differently structured tracking attempts were scattered on the floor
around the circle, while the props and foci from the most recent failure were still inside it.

TC - pg. 272
     She chewed on her lip. “What are you going to do?”
     “I . . .” My voice trailed off. I sighed. “I have no idea.”
     Mouse pawed at my leg and looked up at me. I bent over to scratch his ears, and
instantly regretted it as someone tightened a vise on my temples. I straightened up again in
a hurry, wincing, and entertained wild fantasies about lying down on the floor and sleeping
for a week.

The Parasite Pain
CD - pg. 164
     One second, my scalp was tightening up as two separate ice picks dug into my skull in the same places

they always did, and the next the pain was utterly gone.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »
I'm currently thinking that Mab hasn't altered Harry's memories, like we thought.  I think it was the Parasite, who I think is Lash.  I think Mab and Lash have been working together longer than we thought.

Oh, I really, really like that. First, it would explain why the WG interfered to help restore Harry's memories. Second, it would dispose of neuro's conspiracy theory about Mab tricking Harry into a false belief that he can resist by disposing of the evidence he uses for arguing Mab can safely tamper with Harry's memories. Third, it provides a link between the SmF and Turn Coat headaches that would suggest Lash, not Mab, might be responsible for keeping Harry from using LC. Finally, it would tie in the SmF "cheats" with the theory about Uriel restoring Lash. I believe the headaches start before Harry uses Soulfire. Thus, Uriel could have restored Lash to Harry in response to the capturing of Marcone (first cheat) and then nudged him to activate the Soulfire in response to the attempt to capture Ivy (second cheat).