Author Topic: List of Headaches [CD spoilers]  (Read 21878 times)

Offline HateEgo

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: List of Headaches [CD spoilers]
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
She might have healed the nerves, but not the supporting bones and discs. When Harry screws Winter law, he gets sort of an herniated vertebral disc?

I thinks it the other way around. Bones and Softer tissue heal naturally without magic even proper care.  Nerves do not just mend themselves naturally.  Mab accelerated bone and disc healing and magic bridges the nerves until Harry's "wizard healing" completes the process if it can at all.

Offline Snaps At Fireflies

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »
Depends on how you are looking at it. I don't think Mab represents the actual season of winter the way the Mother does, she is more in charge of the winter fae.

I don't think Mab represents the actual season of winter the way the Mother does,
She has a dramatic effect on the environment,
Her physical presence in Chicago meant that an unseasonably long and cold winter sat on the area until she left.....how does that not represent the "actual" season of winter?  Her presence directly effected the "actual" season of Winter.  That implies she's pretty deeply tied to it.

but I have seen nothing to suggest that she gets incapacitated during summer the way mother winter did in SF.
Except how keeping herself dominant in the physical world so far into Spring and pushing into Summer to keep Harry alive taxed her to the point of making her look like an insect instead of a woman?   And that Harry even comments to her about how she was pushing herself by staying around when it was becoming the time of Summer.   

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2012, 09:50:14 PM »
Her physical presence in Chicago meant that an unseasonably long and cold winter sat on the area until she left.....how does that not represent the "actual" season of winter?  Her presence directly effected the "actual" season of Winter.  That implies she's pretty deeply tied to it.

Except how keeping herself dominant in the physical world so far into Spring and pushing into Summer to keep Harry alive taxed her to the point of making her look like an insect instead of a woman?   And that Harry even comments to her about how she was pushing herself by staying around when it was becoming the time of Summer.

Her mainlining off winters source works just as well for her changing the seasons. Just by being there she draws energy from winter to the mortal realm.

I would say that spending months in our world instead of Faerie attempting to keep Harry alive taxed her rather than what season it is.  The source of Winter being in decline due to the season giving her less access to her power works as well.
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »
Her mainlining off winters source works just as well for her changing the seasons. Just by being there she draws energy from winter to the mortal realm.

I would say that spending months in our world instead of Faerie attempting to keep Harry alive taxed her rather than what season it is.  The source of Winter being in decline due to the season giving her less access to her power works as well.

*shrugs*  I'm not buying that logic but ok, to each his own.    Seeing as the winter was early and unusually cold during the events of Small Favor as well, when she was just hanging out to give Harry and edge seems to suggest that Winter follows her. Hell Bob even pointed that fact out to Harry.

Offline HateEgo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
Since we're on the subject of Mab's power during different seasons.  Did anyone consider that to Mab and Titania the changing of seasons if just a shift in Where they have more power?  After all, while it may be Summer in Chicago it's Winter somewhere else.  In a technical sense the Lady's have no clear dominion anywhere,  the Queens trade continents twice a year, and the Mothers live in a single cottage.  I think there is some symmetry there.  Thoughts?

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
Since we're on the subject of Mab's power during different seasons.  Did anyone consider that to Mab and Titania the changing of seasons if just a shift in Where they have more power?  After all, while it may be Summer in Chicago it's Winter somewhere else.  In a technical sense the Lady's have no clear dominion anywhere,  the Queens trade continents twice a year, and the Mothers live in a single cottage.  I think there is some symmetry there.  Thoughts?

Good point, the Winter/Summer shift as described is very Northern Hemisphere-centric.   But I just chalk that up to "The story takes place there mostly", and assume that yes, Winter and Summer likely go South in the Off-Season.  This could be why their domains are persistent in the Never Never year round, because it's always Summer/Winter somewhere.

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »

There is a WOJ regarding this somewhere stating that the different hemispheres do affect where the table is IIRC. The hard part to work out is why MW doesn't move much in Summer.
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2012, 01:25:37 AM »
Pssst....you missed a very important one from Blood Rites.  Harry gets a dull ache in his head (throbbing) when he accepts the gem from his mother while soulgazing Thomas.  The gem contains insight (knowledge).
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2012, 01:40:30 AM »
Thank you!! I will add it once I'm not on my mobile phone. And if you see anymore, definitey let me know. For instance, I'm pretty sure Ms Duck is right that a Mab geas headache or two is missing from TC and/or SmF. I'd like the list to be as accurate as possible so it really can be used as a reference.

Offline Lee3178

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »
Harry gets a dull ache in his head (throbbing) when he accepts the gem from his mother while soulgazing Thomas.  The gem contains insight (knowledge).

Yes.  I noticed that in a recent reread.  "you don't gain knowledge without a little pain,"  Harry has 3 incorporeal entities in his head, or is it only2?
1 Lash, 2 Parasite and 2 Mother's Advice
1 Lash the Parasite and 2  Mother's Advice
1 Mother's Advice the parasite and 2  Lash
Not to mention Mab and Molly both have tinkered around in Harry's head.  HH is getting crowded.

Offline spameroo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2012, 04:27:47 PM »
The headache stopped by DR in Cold Days only started in the room of "Memory... Reflection."  Kinda supports the idea that the headaches' purpose is to keep him from certain trains of thought.

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
The headache stopped by DR in Cold Days only started in the room of "Memory... Reflection."  Kinda supports the idea that the headaches' purpose is to keep him from certain trains of thought.

The immediate thought Harry had right before the "parasite" headache in Cold Days was in recollection of how Ebenezer reacted to him laying down a Sanctum Invocation on the island.  He thought "stunned"...then "horrified."  Then *BANG*...one of the double ice pick headaches instantaneously.

Technically, I think Harry has the potential for at least four things playing with his head.

1. Mab...when she gets a whim
2. Lash, if she's still in there
3. Gained knowledge from his Mother (Blood Rites) that might or might not have activation protocols upon recognition.
4. Gained knowledge from his Mother (Changes) where he receives another gem containing knowledge of the ways.
5. Perhaps an unknown party known as the parasite (my thoughts lead to Arianna's death curse).
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

wizard nelson

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2012, 04:48:11 PM »
what gem did he get first? what was it for and were did it go?

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2012, 04:51:08 PM »
 in the soul gaze he had with thomas

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »
what gem did he get first? what was it for and were did it go?

The first gem was in Blood Rites as he soulgazed Thomas.  His mother gave him a gem through the mirror.  Here's the dialogue:

My mother stood before me holding what I thought was a small gem or a jewel between long fingers.  It pulsed with a low, gentle light.
"What is it?" I asked.
"Insight," she said.
"It's knowledge?" I asked.
"And the power that goes with it," she said.  She gave me a half smile, touched with irony.  It looked familiar.  "Think of it as a mother's advice, if you like.  It doesn't make up for my absence, child.  But it's all that I have to give."

It gave him a dull aching in his head when he touched it.  Of course, it was incorporeal since this all took place in his head.  He doesn't really possess a gem.  But, I thought this was why he was so familiar with Demonreach in Small Favor...not the Wizard Sight as Luccio believed.  Maggie Sr. makes a point of stating that power comes with this knowledge.  Power comes with all knowledge...so it's odd she should mention it.