Poll

Select if you think the statement is correct

The Blackstaff is Mother Winter's walking stick.
Mother Winter is Death.
The Blackstaff works by taking the tainted bits of soul.
The Blackstaff is the Raven Banner.

Author Topic: [CD spoilers] Mother Winter, the Blackstaff, Death and the Raven Banner  (Read 26546 times)

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: [CD spoilers] Mother Winter, the Blackstaff, Death and the Raven Banner
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2012, 11:16:58 PM »

DF Spoilers / Re: Ivy and the Obllivion War
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:40:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure this will never make it into the actual Dresden Files, since Harry has no idea the Oblivion War is happening, along with everyone else.  So I'll share it here. :)

The Archive was constructed /for/ the Oblivion War.  Specifically.

Yes, the Archive (and Ivy, the two aren't really divisible) know about these forgotten beings.  The Archive is in essence the keeper of the dead, where they are concerned.  Once the archive believes one of them has been consigned to oblivion, she holds on to the memory of that being briefly, for another thousand years or so, watching for any mention of that being in print in an effort to make sure that she is the /last/ person alive who remembers whichever hideous entity has been consigned.

And once the safety period has elapsed, and the Archive is confident that no one else remembers, she deletes the memory from the Archive.  Bad guy, /gone/.

She also tries to keep track of the enemy players in the Oblivion War via watching for communications and so on.  When she finds a trace of them, somewhere, she lets a cell of operatives (like Lara and Thomas) know what's up, through a blind drop, and sends them off to handle the problem.

The Oblivion War is a huge, /slow/ thing.  Stuff happens every few decades, at most.  That's why the Archive was created--to be an immortal awareness, something that could track and intelligently direct responses to the enemy in a war happening on an almost geological scale.

All that other stuff she says the Archive is for?   Smoke and mirrors. :)

Kincaid, by the way, has no idea that the Oblivion War exists.  It isn't like Ivy explains this stuff.  She just gives orders. :)

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,34801.msg1663694.html#msg1663694
Not by fire but by ice.

Offline Mercutio

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »
DF Spoilers / Re: Ivy and the Obllivion War
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:40:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure this will never make it into the actual Dresden Files, since Harry has no idea the Oblivion War is happening, along with everyone else.  So I'll share it here. :)

The Archive was constructed /for/ the Oblivion War.  Specifically.

Yes, the Archive (and Ivy, the two aren't really divisible) know about these forgotten beings.  The Archive is in essence the keeper of the dead, where they are concerned.  Once the archive believes one of them has been consigned to oblivion, she holds on to the memory of that being briefly, for another thousand years or so, watching for any mention of that being in print in an effort to make sure that she is the /last/ person alive who remembers whichever hideous entity has been consigned.

And once the safety period has elapsed, and the Archive is confident that no one else remembers, she deletes the memory from the Archive.  Bad guy, /gone/.

She also tries to keep track of the enemy players in the Oblivion War via watching for communications and so on.  When she finds a trace of them, somewhere, she lets a cell of operatives (like Lara and Thomas) know what's up, through a blind drop, and sends them off to handle the problem.

The Oblivion War is a huge, /slow/ thing.  Stuff happens every few decades, at most.  That's why the Archive was created--to be an immortal awareness, something that could track and intelligently direct responses to the enemy in a war happening on an almost geological scale.

All that other stuff she says the Archive is for?   Smoke and mirrors. :)

Kincaid, by the way, has no idea that the Oblivion War exists.  It isn't like Ivy explains this stuff.  She just gives orders. :)

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,34801.msg1663694.html#msg1663694

Thanks for the confirmation, I drop in once or twice a month so I missed that one, if I knew Jim was still currently active in the thread I may have paid more attention, old posts said he didn't anymore (that was a while ago).
"Damn I meant to roll a Monk."

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »
I couldn't find any rules against thread necromancy so sorry if I'm breaking them.

Anyways, I was thinking that one possibility is that the raven banner itself had no power. Instead, the raven banner was flown tied to the blackstaff itself. Then later, by accident or intention the powers of the blackstaff got attributed to the banner instead.

What do you guys think?
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^