Author Topic: The Aesir: Guardians of a previous age? (CD Spoilers)  (Read 8425 times)

wizard nelson

Re: The Aesir: Guardians of a previous age? (CD Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »
problem i see is heimdall basically did the same job as rashid, so he would have retired. Ragnorok never happened btw. otherwise loki and heimdall killed each other and fenrir killed odin(his wolfish smile seems totally odd right now) and of course odin lives on.

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
As Ms Guard says at the end of Herot, and specifically with regard to the Norse, "Dont believe everything you hear." 

One of the interperitations of the Ragnarok myth is that it has already happened, perhaps multiple times, and the only god who knows for sure is Baldur.  It could be that Heimdall lost not his life, but his mantle in battle against Loki. This could explain why a god known for his rigid adherance to his duty would walk away from the job and open a bar.
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »
problem i see is heimdall basically did the same job as rashid, so he would have retired. Ragnorok never happened btw. otherwise loki and heimdall killed each other and fenrir killed odin(his wolfish smile seems totally odd right now) and of course odin lives on.

being dead in the NN is not as permenant as it used to be,

as to mac:

Could MacAnally possibly be a son of Dionysus?

He's not a Greek god nor a scion of the gods, I'll tell you that much, but we will probably won't get to see much about MacAnally until the big trilogy at the end. -Jim
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »
being dead in the NN is not as permenant as it used to be,

as to mac:

Yeah, but Jim couched that one pertaining to Greek Gods. 

So, its possible Mac is a former god.  Just not a greek one.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »
Yeah, but Jim couched that one pertaining to Greek Gods. 

So, its possible Mac is a former god.  Just not a greek one.

he also said not a 'scion of the gods' .. so that eliminates 98.5% of the aesir. .. and  aheck of a lot of all the others , too.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 11:49:38 PM »
he also said not a 'scion of the gods' .. so that eliminates 98.5% of the aesir. .. and  aheck of a lot of all the others , too.

A Scion as defined by the books is, the offspring of one of the Never Never various beings, but with the various ascension rites out there, some of the god pantheons don't always get specific who's related to who.

Still, was just listening to Changes, & something jumped out at me...

Maybe Mac is a dog person..

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:26 AM »
Reading this thread...taking a step back for the overview...and speaking generally::

It seems this fight to come is one that has been going on since the beginning of time.  The only changes are the individual players...and not even that is as it appears since some of them (the key players) are the same, just wearing masks so it looks like a sequel with different characters...but they are the same.  Same plot...same characters...different location.

It's like...Hangover 2.
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 03:24:27 AM »
A Scion as defined by the books is, the offspring of one of the Never Never various beings, but with the various ascension rites out there, some of the god pantheons don't always get specific who's related to who.

Hmmm cool idea.

Id think Maeve might have said something, tho. They have History

I still think Mac is a warning of sorts to Harry- hes a wizard who did dark things for all the right reasons and is now paying for it. Thats why he wont get involved; he's terrified if he does he'll end up dark side.

Imagine if vader had lived after ROTJ. Think he would have stayed Vader? or would he have opened a nice quite Bar on tatoine somplace, and tried to find peace?

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 04:16:32 AM »
Hmmm cool idea.

Id think Maeve might have said something, tho. They have History

I still think Mac is a warning of sorts to Harry- hes a wizard who did dark things for all the right reasons and is now paying for it. Thats why he wont get involved; he's terrified if he does he'll end up dark side.

Imagine if vader had lived after ROTJ. Think he would have stayed Vader? or would he have opened a nice quite Bar on tatoine somplace, and tried to find peace?

I like that general idea but with wizard being replaced by Gregori or watcher angel.  IIRC some of the gregori were banished not for being evil but simply for not wanting to get involved.  These distinctions get really squishy really quickly but there seems to be room for angels that fell from favor but who are allowed to continue on as long as they don't choose sides or take part in the war.

Regardless of what or who Mac is it seems clear after CD that he feels that his neutrality and lack of involvement are what his safety and protection hinge upon.  Since the Sidhe and the Walker seem to be aware of this neutrality and to honor it to some degree it seems likely that whoever Mac used to work for is someone powerful.

They may not fear him but they seem to respect whatever tradition or custom allows him to remain neutral and it clearly goes way beyond his neutrality under the Accords.

I don't think that He Who Walks Before gives a rip about the Accords.  He did seem willing to respect Mac in his role as "a Watcher" up until the moment when HWWb4 felt that Mac chose a side by giving Harry advice.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:19:47 AM by madness »

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 06:32:05 AM »

*comes in from Beast's Lair*

*sees this*

*is struck by the mental image of Mac in skintight dark blue clothing*
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.