Author Topic: What is the DF Reference Collection?  (Read 8293 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
What is the DF Reference Collection?
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:59:47 PM »
The DF Reference Collection board is a curated collection of canon references and our best fan theories, laid out with detail, clarity, and supporting references.  We hope it'll cut down on repetition and help elevate the caliber of theory discussion and speculation.  Only Curators can create topics, but anyone can contribute.

This board will run on courtesy, respect, and constructive behavior, especially in instances of dissenting opinion.

This is a SPOILERS OKAY zone:
This board allows spoilers about the Dresden Files series of books, the television series, or the RPG.  This means that anyone reading this board reads it at their own peril.

This is an ON-TOPIC discussion board:
This board is specifically, only for refinement of Dresden Files fan theories.  On-Topic discussion is strongly enforced.  Please do your best to stay on-topic and avoid thread-drift.  Moderators will take action with folks who routinely fail to stay on topic, and thread-drift conversations will be split off to the appropriate board.  If you want to discuss something off-topic, take it over to the DF Spoilers board or McAnally's (Anything Goes!) board.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: What is the DF Reference Collection?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »
One of the reasons why this board was created is because after the Great Forum Overhall of 2010, forum stability was increased by autodeleting topics that are over a certain age.  One of the consequences of this is that many great theory posts were lost to the autodelete monster. 

This section is to serve as a both a place to go to to find good theories and references, but also to serve as a place of refuge from the autodelete monster for said theories and references.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Silkki

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:24:52 PM »
Is this still meant as an active place for discussion? Or is this more of an archive?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:27:04 PM by Silkki »

Offline nordath1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
FWIW, I hope this is an archive.  We can always start new discussions in other boards based on these references.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
Is this still meant as an active place for discussion? Or is this more of an archive?

Some of both.  Many of the topics that will be here will be primarily "Refrence" in nature.  As part of their nature, they will be continually updated, and thus continued input will be vital to their remaining relevant.  A great example of this is Priscellie's Timeline thread.

As for discussion of theories... We are all new to this.  We will see how things go, but don't hesitate to add your pertinant thoughts on topics that are open :)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Silkki

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »
Roger that

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
Yeah.  We hope to strike a nice balance.  We don't want to make the Spoilers board irrelevant.  The comparison to the Timeline thread is a good one--folks are constantly adding their own contributions and improvements, but it's largely a static thing.  I see the DFRC being similarly static.  All the really juicy discussion happens in the Spoilers board, then the best, clearest, most detailed and supported summaries of those theories are integrated into the DFRC.