Author Topic: FATE Core and DFRPG  (Read 16236 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: FATE Core and DFRPG
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »
More news about the magic system toolkit.  One of the things the author wants to include is:
- Serial numbers filed off version of DFRPG Evocation

More info at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/FateRPG/message/22002.

And most of the stretch goals now have links to pages with more information about them - including one where Fred seems to be taking opinions about what should be covered in the toolbox sections.

Richard

Offline Skimble

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 01:52:55 PM »
So, I've been doing some more thinking and I now have a pretty complete retooling of Evocation to Fate Core, making as few changes as possible. I'm using the idea proposed by Leonard Balsera earlier in this thread.

Evocation can be used to Attack, Overcome, Create an Advantage and Counterspell. Overcome is just using an evocation to overcome some difficulty in the scene or achieve a fixed result and is resisted actively or passively as normal.

So the only one that really needs explaining is Create an Advantage as it sticks around.

Under these rules Evocation can be used to establish an effect of indefinite duration as long as active concentration is maintained. Fast, simple actions (free actions in the rules) won't disrupt concentration but doing anything that requires an action is difficult without losing concentration on the sustained evocation. To represent this the difficulty of taking any other action is increased by 2. As an addition to any other consequences of failing or tying the action roll, the sustained effect is ended.

Note: I was thinking about requiring a Discipline roll at the same difficulty as the original evocation to take any other actions but decided that it would be best not to add a second roll.

Rather than duration, extra shifts of power are used in order to gain additional free invocations. The first is gained with 1 shift of power and another is gained every for every two shifts. You would therefore gain free invocations at 1, 3, 5 and 7 shifts of power.

Once the evocation is in effect it can be used exactly like any other scene aspect. Free invocations can be stacked to provide multiple +2 bonuses or rerolls at any given time.

There are some specific things to bear in mind when this system is used to create shields.

The user can, if they choose, gain personal armour at a cost of two shifts per point. As per the original rules this is not depleted if they take an injury. Shifts used to create armour in this way do not provide free invocations.

Extra shifts may be used as per the DFRPG rules to spread the shield over a wider area. Again, these do not count towards free invocations.

When using a shield to defend against incoming attacks, the player can either use free invocations (and/or a single Fate point invocation) to make a passive obstacle of 2 per point spent per the Invoking an Aspect as an Obstacle rule (possibly costing the enemy a turn to blast through the shields - if successful - when invoked before the enemy's turn) or make an active defence roll against the attack using Discipline rather than Athletics. Again, free invocations and/or a Fate point can be used to increase the defence.

Only one Evocation can be sustained in this way at any given time.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:59:36 PM by Skimble »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »
I miss blocks.

Offline Skimble

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
There's an easy fix for that!

To be honest I didn't need to change the system as much as this; I could have simply said that establishing a shield creates an Aspect obstacle with a specific difficulty to overcome of the shifts put into the shield. I like this more dynamic version quite a bit more, though. It gives the player more control and could lead to some tense scenes as he runs out of invocations...

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »
I miss blocks.

I think Obstacles are a far cleaner way of looking at things.  Blocks got murky really fast (what is this blocking?  can it block all these things?  why can this block protect against everything while this other block can't? what breaks the block?)  See Orbius and Grappling for specific examples, and veils for general ones (Veils are spells that can block someone's ability to see things; therefore, can other similar spells block someone's dis-ability to see things?  Why not?  Deep rabbit hole, etc.)

Obstacles are more conceptually easy to grasp.  Does thing "A" obstruct ones' ability to do action X?  If yes, it's an obstacle against thing A.  If not, it's not.  Does action Y narratively defeat thing A?  If yes, action Y can be used to overcome.  If not, it can't.  Much simpler logic, I think.

I can see being annoyed at a new learning curve, though.  I'm used to thinking in blocks, and the new methodology is going to take some getting used to for me.  I think my players will have a much easier time with the new system, though, since they never got to the point where they were "thinking with blocks," if you get my meaning.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 06:50:42 AM »
Blocks are quite conceptually easy to grasp. Does block "A" obstruct ones' ability to do action X? If yes, it's a block against action X. If not, it's not. Simple logic, I think.

Grapples make it more complex, of course, but grapples are their own thing that's built on top of the block rules. They could be dropped even if blocks were kept.

As for veils, they're actually dead simple as long as you're willing to accept the abstraction of overcoming a veil with your Weapons (or Fists, or Might, etc) skill.

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 01:15:47 AM »
I would love to see Dresden Files written up as a FATE Core setting. If the starting point is FATE Core, and not DFRPG, what does the magic system look like? Are there other extras?

:-)

R

Offline Shadowman17

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
Rob Donoghue is writing a magic systems toolkit and said that he wanted to do a version of DFRPG evocation with the "serial numbers filed off", so we might at least get a glimpse of what that looks like.

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »
My group is currently working on a amalgam of DF and Core.  Boiling down the DF skill list a little (We really need Perform?).  Updating the wording of Skills and Stunts to fit the Core mechanics.

It should tide us over until they come out with a more official update anyway.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »
I've done two Fate Core hacks so far. One's not entirely in DFRPG's wheelhouse, about using Fate for military-styled campaigns.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W6rRaDBc_gDSHM1DgBsLW0X_ojrITA9u-A38nb09LH0/edit

My other document is ongoing, and is my conversion of my DFRPG monster-hunting biker game over to Core. I too streamlined/changed the skill list and pared down magic to only deal with what my players specifically need to know for the moment. I'm hoping to put off any additional magic work until the toolbox comes out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hmJQVhLsjZhat6TjJzABl9oEpeSSyCo6SZ3Uz7si1xw/edit#heading=h.ws5ijgwy5nzi

Offline Arcane257

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 02:40:49 AM »
Fred did an ask me anything over on Reddit today http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/166jkx/i_am_fred_hicks_from_evil_hat_productions_and_the/

Its has some really cool info in it so I thought I would share it over here. It looks like backers might get to see the rough cut of the magic and such if things continue to go well.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37:37 PM »
The Magic Toolkit draft came out today.  Seems to be geared towards games with much lower refresh levels that DFRPG.  I really liked the "void summoning" ability.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 04:06:31 AM »
Whereas I think it's hilarious and awesome that Rob snuck in will o' the wisp Pokemon in there.

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 05:33:54 AM »
The FATE Core Magic Toolkit is great. Stormcalling could be re-themed to become DFRPG evocation again easily, and it's much faster and more balanced in play.

I loved the Storm Summoning system, but it's not a fully encompassing system like DFRPG Thaumaturgy. Would love to see Thaumaturgy re-worked to work well in FATE Core... Any ideas?

Ryan

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
The FATE Core Magic Toolkit is great. Stormcalling could be re-themed to become DFRPG evocation again easily, and it's much faster and more balanced in play.

I loved the Storm Summoning system, but it's not a fully encompassing system like DFRPG Thaumaturgy. Would love to see Thaumaturgy re-worked to work well in FATE Core... Any ideas?

Ryan

I agree, it would be awesome to see DFRPG thaumaturgy re-worked in FATE Core. And FATE Core looks great so far! :D
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."