Poll

Select if you think the statement is correct:

Nemesis made the first move, Mab countered.
The denarians had planned to capture the Archive from the very beginning.
Titania's aim was to oppose Winter.
Maeve was behind the Hob attack.

Author Topic: [CD spoilers] Small Favor  (Read 20171 times)

Offline itshim

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: [CD spoilers] Small Favor
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2012, 09:26:08 AM »
One question that has bothered me with all the various fae attacks on Harry over the series is that fae aren't allowed to kill mortals (hence the summer and winter knights) so how comes all these fae can attack Harry, before he becomes winter knight and hence a legitimate target?

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »
Fae can kill mortals whenever they want.

The Queens/Ladies can't kill mortals who are not involved in Court business.

Trolls and goblins and such eat humans all the time, no problem.

Offline itshim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »
In which case there is absolutely no need for the knights.
[Mab] This mortal is annoying me, do I set a troll on him or set up a mortal to have some of my powers and thus the potential to kill me (as mentioned by Maeve in CD so not gospel). I know I'll go for the far more dangerous to me option.

Offline Blagaah

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
A troll snatching a kid off a playground for a snack is very different then a troll under Mab's orders doing ANYTHING.  Kid snatching is troll NATURE.  Directed violence against a specific opponent of the Winter Queen is an exertion of her will through a tool. 

Also, given what we've learned in CD, should we trust the job description of the Winter Knight we had up till now?

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »
A troll snatching a kid off a playground for a snack is very different then a troll under Mab's orders doing ANYTHING.  Kid snatching is troll NATURE.

And even then, under the Accords, trolls are only allowed to snatch naughty kids (as discussed in Restoration of Faith). Nice kids are safe. Every other Fae is probably similarly constrained by their nature. A knight isn't: they can go against anyone the Queens deem needs killing.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2012, 07:51:39 AM »
A troll snatching a kid off a playground for a snack is very different then a troll under Mab's orders doing ANYTHING.  Kid snatching is troll NATURE.  Directed violence against a specific opponent of the Winter Queen is an exertion of her will through a tool. 

Also, given what we've learned in CD, should we trust the job description of the Winter Knight we had up till now?
This is a good point. According to Bob, both the Summer and Winter Knight's job is whacking people for their Queen(s).
Admittedly, Fix may have been given bad and/or incomplete information, but I think he was probably closer to being right than being totally off target.

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »
I'm betting that Maeve's orders to the knights mostly centered around killing people... Since we know she hasn't been doing her proper job for a while from her "I will never again be your little hunting falcon" jab at Mab I think she'd been perverting the winter Lady and Winter Knight gig for a while know. Be interesting to see more of what the Winter Lady's true role is in helping to hold off Armageddon. Might have to wait a book or two though.

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »

Mab's comments in Changes at least strongly suggest the Hitman option.  "You will destroy what I wish to destroy.  Kill whosoever I wish you to kill."  That doesn't mean that's the end all, be all of his role, though.

I'm betting that Maeve's orders to the knights mostly centered around killing people... Since we know she hasn't been doing her proper job for a while from her "I will never again be your little hunting falcon" jab at Mab I think she'd been perverting the winter Lady and Winter Knight gig for a while know. Be interesting to see more of what the Winter Lady's true role is in helping to hold off Armageddon. Might have to wait a book or two though.
I personally don't think Maeve was corrupted until after Summer Knight, and I took the "hunting falcon" comment as her getting folks killed per Mab's orders.  The scene where Harry uses the Mantle to try to get Maeve also strongly suggests that death dealing is a big part of it.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »
Mab's comments in Changes at least strongly suggest the Hitman option.  "You will destroy what I wish to destroy.  Kill whosoever I wish you to kill."  That doesn't mean that's the end all, be all of his role, though.
I personally don't think Maeve was corrupted until after Summer Knight, and I took the "hunting falcon" comment as her getting folks killed per Mab's orders.  The scene where Harry uses the Mantle to try to get Maeve also strongly suggests that death dealing is a big part of it.
I think Maeve was infected just after Lea because it seems to me the first thing an infected Lea would do. Just after great peril.

Aurora would be the next step, Slate was there on Maeves orders and the infection of Aurora followed after Maeve's. Maeve already used the crazy nympho bitch act in summer knight for Harry so she did not have to answer questions and it worked.

Sending her handmaiden to spoil Billy and Georgia's wedding and even killing them has a strange feel to it. I think it is another sign of the infection. I do not think the Lady's task is to kill humans, the knight can do that. The Lady's task might be to kill everything else.

(click to show/hide)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
Just because Maeve wasn't corrupted yet doesn't mean she wasn't slacking off on the job.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
Yeah, the Knight's job appears to be to go against mortals, specifically. I don't think Mab will restrict Harry to this, of course, when he's so effective against non-mortals, but it Maeve's comments suggest that the Winter Lady's job is something similar, only for the non-mortal threats.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.