Author Topic: We're finally going to play!  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
We're finally going to play!
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:36:55 AM »
Got the two game books for my birthday in June. Immediately started trying to put together a group to play together regularly. Took me four months to find enough people and to get them to agree on a time to play.

Our GM is a gaming veteran who doesn't have a whole lot of GMing experience, then there's me who's only vaguely familiar with pen-and-paper RPGs but is essentially an expert on the source material. And then there are our other three players who have never done any gaming before.... This is going to have a high learning curve. The GM and I set out to teach the other three the game mechanics as well as the basics of the source material. We meet every other Sunday for almost three months, helping them build the characters they want, playing a practice game or two, and building our city. In the last month we finally finished our city and character creation. It felt like it would never end.

Wait, what's that? City created? Character's done? GM prepared? Players are anxious to start?

We actually get to play the game next sunday!!!  :D
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: We're finally going to play!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:22:53 AM »
Congrats.

Offline Thrakkesh

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: We're finally going to play!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:38:31 AM »
Congrats. I would recommend reading the 'Building a Scenario' portion of YS carefully. Typically I've found 'How to build a campaign' sections in RPG books to be worse than useless, but DF is a huge exception.  They way sessions are built in DF is extremely elegant.  You'll do yourself huge favors if you use some of the methods they describe!