Author Topic: Dialogues with Portents and Parents  (Read 19586 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Dialogues with Portents and Parents
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
Time for another reference topic.  Over and over there are moments in the story where there is kind of a pause in the story and someone talks to Harry and he doesn't really understand a dern thing.  I want to collect all these pieces of dialog and snippets that contain potential portent into one place.

Some of these are rather long and I am not comfortable copying down pages and pages of text, so I might just give cliff notes and source chapters.  Others are just a few sentences so I'll include them in their entirety with their source chapter cited too...

Everything will be in spoiler tags for the purpose of condensing the topic, not necessarily to hide spoilers.

Examples of things I am looking for are the Third Eye Junkie raving about HHWB's shadow, Chauncy's summons, some of Harry's chats with Id Harry, all the times Nic waxes eloquently with Harry, Harry's chat with his father in the dream...  I'm thinking of adding anything that talks about his parents, although those might belong in a different reference...  Maybe I'll cleave em off for that later...

I'll be reserving the first 2 responses for spillover material

Any help getting the actual material, or making suggestions for things that belong here is appreciated.  I don't have too much trouble finding stuff like this of course, but it does take effort for me to type it out (My typing skills are mediocre, but I do touch type)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:59:09 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Portentous dialogues
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »
reserved
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:54:01 PM »
reserved
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »
Sometimes I think we all are sharing the same brain. I was just gonna ask if there were any other prophecy-esque statements like the ThreeEye junkie's that we should revisit. Do you want only the examples here or do you also want the discussions about what they might mean in light of CD information?  Also, is there some way to just pull my ThreeEye Junkie thread over here?

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »
Sometimes I think we all are sharing the same brain. I was just gonna ask if there were any other prophecy-esque statements like the ThreeEye junkie's that we should revisit. Do you want only the examples here or do you also want the discussions about what they might mean in light of CD information?  Also, is there some way to just pull my ThreeEye Junkie thread over here?

That kinda got me thinking this way.

For now I want this to be a raw data dump honestly.  I'd like to keep the theorizing elsewhere for now.  If we can manage to keep this as a data dump, that means I can move it to the DFRC that much faster, but discussion means it belongs here.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline DRFacts

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Dialogues with Portents and Parents
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »
Does that spirit he contact to get the rest of the prophecy about him dying have anything interesting?

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 01:51:13 AM »
Does that spirit he contact to get the rest of the prophecy about him dying have anything interesting?

I'm still only halfway through SK, but that's one of the ones I intend to hit.  ATM, I am mostly just going through my e-book bookmarks and highlights.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »

When Thomas quotes the bible verse regarding the weakness of the Wampires, he says:
Quote from: Blood Rites
"Love is patient. Love is kind. Love always forgives, trusts, supports, and endures. Love never fails. When every star in the heavens grows cold, and when silence lies once more on the face of the deep, three things will endure: faith, hope, and love."

"And the greatest of these is love," I finished. "That's from the Bible."

"First Corinthians, chapter thirteen," Thomas confirmed.

I looked around and confirmed (as much as I can) that those bits are not actually in any of the common translations of the Bible, so I think they are more foreshadowing.   Which would make the Faith/Hope/Love bit a fairly strong indication of the significance of the Swords, come BAT time.

(Whether it is on the same Bat Channel is still unknown   ;))
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »
The Loup Garou Curse:

Quote from: Fool Moon Ch 11
Chauncy smiled, a rather intimidating expression. "MacFinn is a member of an ancient family line from an island known as Ireland. His family has a notable history. Sometime in the murky past, legend would have it, the man known as Saint Patrick cursed his ancestor to become a ravening beast at every full moon. The curse came with two addenda. First, that it would be hereditary, passing down to someone new each and every generation. And second, that the cursed line of the family would never, ever die out, lasting until the end of days."

It always seemed an odd thing for a Saint to do.  And it is somehow guaranteed to last until the Apocalypse.  Perhaps that means the presence of a giant nigh-immortal, magic immune wolfen killing machine will somehow be necessary in those Days. 

One possibility is that it will be needed to kill Odin, playing the role of Fenrir according to common accounts of the Ragnarok prophesy. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »
When Thomas quotes the bible verse regarding the weakness of the Wampires, he says:
"Love is patient. Love is kind. Love always forgives, trusts, supports, and endures. Love never fails. When every star in the heavens grows cold, and when silence lies once more on the face of the deep, three things will endure: faith, hope, and love."

"And the greatest of these is love," I finished. "That's from the Bible."

"First Corinthians, chapter thirteen," Thomas confirmed.
I looked around and confirmed (as much as I can) that those bits are not actually in any of the common translations of the Bible, so I think they are more foreshadowing.

I thought we concluded it was a weird mash-up of Corinthians 13:4-13, the Necronomicon, and Genesis 1:1.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:09:21 PM »
Nicodemus hints pretty heavily about
(click to show/hide)
in his conversation with Harry in Ch.29 of SmF.  Is that more or less what you're looking for Serack, or would you prefer to focus on slightly more nebulous conversations?
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
Nicodemus hints pretty heavily about
(click to show/hide)
in his conversation with Harry in Ch.29 of SmF.  Is that more or less what you're looking for Serack, or would you prefer to focus on slightly more nebulous conversations?

Oh that's certainly one that I will be including in this reference.  It was one of the preemenent ones on my mind when I created it.  It's a time consumer though and I'm doing it in blocks.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »
If you want to portion out the books, we can multi-thread this...  (you could then copy-paste to the OP).
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »
Oh that's certainly one that I will be including in this reference.  It was one of the preemenent ones on my mind when I created it.  It's a time consumer though and I'm doing it in blocks.
Okay, if you'd like to delegate some of the work out, I'm more than happy to take SmF.  I'll let you get a little ahead so I can match formats.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »
If you want to portion out the books, we can multi-thread this...  (you could then copy-paste to the OP).

Anyone can post their own copies of excerpts in a response to this topic and I (or another curator *looks significantly at knnn*) can paste them into the proper cronology of the OP.

I actually skipped the parts of the chauncy discussion that directly related to the FM case, but Quantus did a pretty good job of pointing out that might not have been a good idea.

Edit:  And I just edited it into the OP.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:20:09 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation