Author Topic: Campaign Idea, what do you think?  (Read 1206 times)

Offline beachhead1973

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Campaign Idea, what do you think?
« on: November 29, 2012, 11:22:57 PM »
I hate when this happens.

My last DFRPG campaign got shut down when the only other player joined the regular forces. I'm really proud of him by the way.

Currently I am running a GURPS-based Twilight-2000 campaign, but I think I am about to loose a key player because he has to move back to England, or at least it looks that way. If this person leaves, I feel like it kiboshes the campaign. even though there are several other players.

Feels like this has happened a lot to me. Was part of an epic WOD game when one of my best friends died, which made it worse because we not only lost him, but also the game and the group.

But it gave me an idea now that I am looking at it again; Before my last DFRPG campaign got shut down, my other player's PC, a burgeoning wizard had just been discovered by the local warden and there was talk of him being apprenticed. But him and the other character were just getting set up in their own security and investigation company.

My idea is this; PC1 was spirited away by the warden to train him and use him as another warden after a little while of helping run the company, establishing somethings of a reputation.

This leaves PC2 to have to deal with all the backlash of their recent adventures alone. I am going to have him have basically run the company solo for a bit, had his life destroyed by the backlash of the first two adventures, leaving nothing but the company and then had all the normal employees he hired quit on him after dealing with the supernatural.

This becomes the campaign lead-in with PC2 as an effective-NPC "The Boss" and the new PCs answering adds in a local undergound newspaper for individuals with unusual talents and experiences to be hired by this local security/investigation company with a developed, but tarnished reputation both in supernatural underworld and a reputation for dealing with the unusual in the normal world.

My original backup plan for is GURPS was too complicated for people was to run a mechwarrior campaign, but the guy leaving was one of the main interested parties in that regard.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Idea, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:48:19 PM »
Personally, I am always a sucker for follow-up campaigns (hence my numbered series on the site).  It makes it easier for the GM (you) to make things up as you go along, since you have a pre-established world and characters.  Your premise is a good one- it's not unlike Dresden's adventures, given the connection to the mundane world, and disdain from the supernatural.  :)

When throwing in references to the old campaign, don't overdo it (especially if you have new players who won't get the references.)  Be sure to let new players contribute to your world- let them come up with some of the threats and new problems in the setting, then weave in some old characters (good, bad, or neutral).  Probably let the first adventure be something of the collective creation.  After that it's probably safer to draw more heavily from your old campaign (once they're familiar with your setting).  Definitely include those backlashes your old PC got (either affecting him, or the entire company.)

It's a fun process, and if done right can add great subtle depth to your campaign- just don't overemphasize unnecessary details from the last one.