Author Topic: CD Spoilers: The Case of the Stolen Walking Stick  (Read 33314 times)

o_O

Re: CD Spoilers: The Case of the Stolen Walking Stick
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »
Like Odin is also Santa.

Anyone connected Odin's Santa guise with the doughnuts yet?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2012, 09:22:04 PM »
Anyone connected Odin's Santa guise with the doughnuts yet?

I allways though the donughts were a message from odin for harry to contact Mab.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2012, 09:28:11 PM »
For some reason this post makes me think that we totally need a scene where Death (or Mother Winter in proper aspect if you like) fiddles away at Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre.       With rooster crow at daylight.
now you've got a scene from The Graveyard Book stuck in my head.

I'm sort of hoping that Mother Winter isn't Death. 

Offline breck

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2012, 11:56:12 PM »
I really am not sure of the donuts, but i wrote a paper on norse mythology once. One of my favorite papers from college too, research was just plain fun. Knowing just a little bit about norse mythology i cant place the donuts, but in light of cold days the peppermint tea makes me smile still when i read it.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2012, 02:53:30 AM »
but if The Mothers are or were 2 of the 3 Fates, My guess is that Mother Winter was the one who cut your lifeline

Harry obviously agrees with you since he called her Atropos which was the Fate that cut the thread. I have been wondering about this. Mother Summer aludes to the fact that they (she and MW) have a name in common. If they are, in fact, the fates then who is the third Fate? Could this be who Nemesis is? (I haven't given this one any thought it just came to me.) I have given some thought to the many triple aspect goddesses that exist in many different mythologies and religions. Everyone from the Morrigan to the Fates to Kali, Durga, and Parvati and many many more. Most of them exist as a maiden, a mother, and a crone (The Mother, the Queen, and the Lady of both Winter and Summer). I don't know if you would have both the individual courts representing the triple aspect and the Mothers themselves also representing two parts of a triple aspect but it is interesting to think about. I will have to look at the books again with this idea in mind.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2012, 04:10:02 AM »
Mother Winter's own words: .

I'm not saying that she IS Death (you can tell because she doesn't speak in small caps*), but if The Mothers are or were 2 of the 3 Fates, My guess is that Mother Winter was the one who cut your lifeline (partial WOJ mentioning Mother Summer's roommate getting her shears)

If she has been getting out less and less, it could be related to the increase in human longevity.

The Lady, Queen, Mother grouping works better for the fates than Mother Summer and Mother Winter. At least in my opinion. They fit better as norns than fates, however. The fates were pretty clearly defined as maiden, women, crone. The norns are much more flexible with much different attestations.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2012, 06:23:59 AM »
Good point, btw.   We have not really seen any dance magic in the series.

We did see Listens-to-Wind use dance magic in Turn Coat to defend himself from Shagnasty's attacks. Shaman, making a magic defense by dancing. It seems like what you were talking about.

She IS death, but she has several aspects, as many heavy-hitters do. Like Odin is also Santa.

She also may not be the only immortal who takes on the aspect of Death. Multiple immortal beings take on the role of leading the Wild Hunt, for example. (Including Harry how, holy crap-- wonder if that'll have any unintended consequences? Nah... ) There are versions of Death in many different religions, so it could be that multiple immortals can assume the role, depending on the time, place, or situation.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2012, 07:09:40 AM »
We did see Listens-to-Wind use dance magic in Turn Coat to defend himself from Shagnasty's attacks. Shaman, making a magic defense by dancing. It seems like what you were talking about.

She also may not be the only immortal who takes on the aspect of Death. Multiple immortal beings take on the role of leading the Wild Hunt, for example. (Including Harry how, holy crap-- wonder if that'll have any unintended consequences? Nah... ) There are versions of Death in many different religions, so it could be that multiple immortals can assume the role, depending on the time, place, or situation.
Judging by what Thomas said happened to him after he joined the Hunt, Harry's going to get enhanced senses and probably a degree of extrasensory ability at minimum, and quite possibly some other traits after leading the Hunt.
Probably things that boost one's ability to be a predator ... which is probably going to make coping with some of the urges from the Winter Knighthood more difficult.

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2012, 07:35:14 AM »

According to Harry pretty much any dance the sidhe perform is magic as their magic is created through movement.
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.

Offline Tilarium

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2012, 02:13:30 AM »
Wow, 9 pages.... lots to read so if this is already brought up, I apoligize. 

I doubt that Mother Winter's walking stick is the black staff.  Mother Winter can't get around without it and in the other books when she was mentioned she was able to move around just fine.  That leads me to assume the staff was recently stolen.  The position of the Blackstaff has exisited for a very very very long time.  Thus, to repeat myself, I doubt that Mother Winter's walking stick is the black staff.

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2012, 02:16:09 AM »
Mother Winter can't get around without it and in the other books when she was mentioned she was able to move around just fine.

Proof?

In Summer Knight she was so tired she couldn't leave of rocking chair.
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2012, 03:28:28 AM »
In Summer Knight, Winter was at the ebb of its power, too, so I'm not entirely convinced that her confinement to the Rocking chair has anything to do with the loss of the stick.

wizard nelson

« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2012, 03:33:10 AM »
ok so the fates have shears for cutting the string of fate/life but wtf is the cleaver and why did MS seem upset MW didn't use one of the regular knives? is there a cleaver in any mythos?

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2012, 04:25:06 AM »
ok so the fates have shears for cutting the string of fate/life but wtf is the cleaver and why did MS seem upset MW didn't use one of the regular knives? is there a cleaver in any mythos?

Some people have mentioned in one of these Mother Winter threads that Baba Yaga fits the bill for Mother Winter in many ways, that she used iron dentures, and that she tended to cut up unwanted visitors with a cleaver and eat them in a stew.

Baba Yaga also traveled using a mortar and pestle, and someone suggested that Mother Winter's walking stick was the pestle, and that was why it became painful for MW to travel. In light of that, when Mother Summer takes Harry to the Outer Gates, they step onto a stone in the forest that's about three feet wide. This stone could possibly be the mortar. Or, it could be something entirely different, since Mother Summer was the one traveling with Harry and not Mother Winter. Or, maybe both Mother Summer and Mother Winter, together, make up the stories of Baba Yaga.

I've suggested before that by "our name," Mother Summer meant that she and Mother Winter are known collectively by a single name, as two sides of the same being, and that maybe the name MS was talking about was "Gaea." In the same vein, Mother Winter could also be Nyx(the ancient Greek personification of night) and Mother Summer could be Hemera(the personification of day). Hemera is said to be, variously, the daughter of Nyx and Erebus(darkness); or the daughter of Nyx and Chronos(time); or Nyx's sister, with Chaos as mother and father of both sisters.

Interestingly, WoJ suggests that titans are imprisoned under Demonreach. In Greek myth, the titans were imprisoned in Tartarus. Tartarus was also the home of Nyx and Hemera(as well as some other primordial gods), with one of them always leaving as the other came in. Which could mean that, one some weird metaphysical level which probably doesn't come up very often, Mother Winter and Mother Summer may live on Demonreach as well. Or across from Demonreach, on the Nevernever side.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

wizard nelson

« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2012, 04:31:20 AM »
thats a neat idea actually, it would explain why its basic suicide to cross over on the island, the mothers are 'active' gods btw, not retired. even if a DR prisoner escaped if it crossed over i'd be in for a world of hurtin.