Author Topic: CD Spoilers: The Case of the Stolen Walking Stick  (Read 33312 times)

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
CD Spoilers: The Case of the Stolen Walking Stick
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:17:04 AM »
Mother Summer mentioned how Mother Winter had difficulties travelling anymore, ever since she had her walking stick stolen. Now, this is Mother Winter, the steel meat cleaver flinging, tooth trophy keeping, monstrous devourer who epitomizes entropy. While her motivations her great, methods can really scare a person. Not a nice person by nearly any stretch of the imagination.

But, back to the walking stick. It was stolen. She can't move around without it, so she probably wants it back. What other staff-like artifact do we know of that the owner wants back, according to WoJ? Which one fits the Ender of the Winter Court?

I'm thinking the Blackstaff is her 'walking stick'. That she hasn't reclaimed it is up for debate. Maybe she somehow doesn't know who is in possession of it, maybe she is prevented from acting with all of her stupendous power. Perhaps she is playing around with her food, waiting for the chance to get revenge on the entire White Council, or until a less desired Blackstaff (the position) comes around. McCoy could be very useful to her, perhaps.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: CD Spoilers: The Case of the Stolen Walking Stick
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:23:21 AM »
Well, assuming that the Blackstaff is hers, WoJ says that she wants it back, and that it was stolen.

Either the White Council tricked her into giving it up, which she regrets, or it is more useful to her in McCoy's hands.  IMO, there's no way that she doesn't know who has it.
Corpsetaker was a psychotic, body-stealing, mind-penetrating, ghoul-enlisting, power-craving asshole, but he had a certain charm about him.
You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather.

Offline CrispyXIV

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:36:36 AM »
Well, assuming that the Blackstaff is hers, WoJ says that she wants it back, and that it was stolen.

Either the White Council tricked her into giving it up, which she regrets, or it is more useful to her in McCoy's hands.  IMO, there's no way that she doesn't know who has it.

It could be that retrieving it from its current holder would be difficult, if not impossible; doesn't Eb Summon it in Changes, from apparently nowhere?

Maybe its inaccessible when not in use, which would mean it would have to be voluntarily returned by its current holder?

Offline Viktor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:47:24 AM »

I've said it on this board earlier but... There is just no way that I see a being that has the knowledge of the Winter Queens (anything Mab/Titania know, Winter/Summer Mother do as well, and if one knows, both do) + Intellectus + The Power Level they have would in any way be unaware of exactly where that is (as long as it's in the Mortal or Fae realms), or how it got there.

Mother Winter LET (somehow) her walking staff be taken/stolen. Mother Summer clued Dresden in on this tidbit and I think it's going to come in useful later on.

Serack, isn't there a WoJ about the fact that the Blackstaff eating black magic being a side effect? Am I imagining that quote? (I may be mixing it up with some of the Athame=Mab Craziness vector theory posts (WoJ was that it was a vector for Power))

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »
It's entirely possible that Mother Winter wants it back, but can't take it back because of the balance with Summer.  Perhaps Summer had such an instrument (or something equally powerful but wonderfully different) and it was destroyed. 

That being said, when Eb bites the big one (and he will before this is all over...I'm guessing), Harry will want to grab that blackstaff so he can serve up a rather potent bargaining chip for whatever purpose.
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 03:06:28 AM »
I wouldn't say it is impossible. Even Intellectus has its gaps, though the wizardly hitman having a staff much like her favorite old walking stick could lead the supernaturally intelligent to figure it out for themselves. And who knows what kind of magic has been laid on the thing? It could naturally preclude information about itself being known elsewhere. People know of the title Blackstaff, know of his abilities... Doesn't mean they know about his beating stick. I would assume he ends most things who see him using it anyways.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Viktor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 03:06:37 AM »
It's entirely possible that Mother Winter wants it back, but can't take it back because of the balance with Summer.  Perhaps Summer had such an instrument (or something equally powerful but wonderfully different) and it was destroyed. 

That being said, when Eb bites the big one (and he will before this is all over...I'm guessing), Harry will want to grab that blackstaff so he can serve up a rather potent bargaining chip for whatever purpose.

Maybe she wants it back but not enough to set pawns in motion to make it happen? Or she knows it's needed by Mortals for a little while. (She is after all, REALLY Ancient)

Anyone else disappointed that Harry didn't steal that badass Outsider Cloak? It was the right color (grey) too...

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 03:27:05 AM »
I've said it on this board earlier but... There is just no way that I see a being that has the knowledge of the Winter Queens (anything Mab/Titania know, Winter/Summer Mother do as well, and if one knows, both do) + Intellectus + The Power Level they have would in any way be unaware of exactly where that is (as long as it's in the Mortal or Fae realms), or how it got there.

Mother Winter LET (somehow) her walking staff be taken/stolen. Mother Summer clued Dresden in on this tidbit and I think it's going to come in useful later on.

Serack, isn't there a WoJ about the fact that the Blackstaff eating black magic being a side effect? Am I imagining that quote? (I may be mixing it up with some of the Athame=Mab Craziness vector theory posts (WoJ was that it was a vector for Power))

Again, let it be taken, or was tricked into letting it be taken.  It would take a lot to dupe someone that powerful, but they aren't infallible.  It could be done.
Corpsetaker was a psychotic, body-stealing, mind-penetrating, ghoul-enlisting, power-craving asshole, but he had a certain charm about him.
You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather.

Offline kokolores

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 03:31:03 AM »
The Blackstaff being originally Mother Winter's would be a really nice touch. Great idea.
If there's something strange in the your neighborhood, who you gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
If there's something weird and it don't look good Who ya gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
I ain't afraid of no ghosts I ain't afraid of no ghosts

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 03:46:14 AM »
I would think, if Mother Winter doesn't travel without her walking stick, she just can't get it because she needs to be able to travel to do so?  Can't just farm it out to any of her more mobile flunkies.

Also, Mother Winter was seen using scissors to work with her spell in SK, yes?  Has anyone made a connection between the Lady, Queen, and Mother as the three fates?  Atropos would be a nigh-perfect fit for Mother Winter, if you ask me.

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 04:01:29 AM »
Harry actually calls her Atrophos when summoning her. :)
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Orbweaver

• Posty McPostington
  • Let the games begin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 04:08:45 AM »
Yep. First thing that came to mind when Mother Summer said that Mother Winter lost her walking stick was the Blackstaff.

As to how she 'lost' it is anyone's guess at this point. We've seen some pretty scary things starting to move around in Cold Days, some of which are on par with Mother Winter in terms of ability. Harry was able to use his will to repel her, it's possible that the staff was lost if Mother Winter came into contact with the Original Merlin and/or an Old One- and then it found its way/was passed down over the years.

But I'm kind of suspicious. If Mother Winter lost something, she'd have had to gain something in another area. It's technically what the Sidhe are. So if she lost the Blackstaff... what did she gain?
In a world of black, white, and grey's... I'd be bright freaking purple. Resident Female Forum Denarian.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 05:18:07 AM »
But I'm kind of suspicious. If Mother Winter lost something, she'd have had to gain something in another area. It's technically what the Sidhe are. So if she lost the Blackstaff... what did she gain?

A hell of a grudge.  I think you're mistaking the fae intense dislike of undefined debt with them automagically always getting balanced deals.  Doesn't work like that.  Theft is by its very nature unbalanced, even for the fae.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 05:45:54 AM »
I would imagine that any trick that you played on Mother Winter would actually be Mother Winter playing a trick on you.

Getting some mortal to steal from you gets around the whole gift giving balance thing as well as avoids any responsibility for power shifts that might result.

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 05:48:15 AM »
Finding any wizard insane enough to attempt such a theft would be the most difficult part of the entire scenario. 

If something is so insane that even Harry wouldn't consider it then you know that the needle has gone right off the scale.