Author Topic: Cold Days Book Club - Chapters 31-45 **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 13722 times)

Offline Zarl96

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Days Book Club - Chapters 31-45 **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 05:13:02 PM »
Quote from: Cold Days
"You are no true Knight of Winter, manling. Once I have decoured you flesh, and your manyle with it, I will bestow it upon someone worthier of the name. I should never have given it to Mab."

I want to discuss this quote from Mother Winter. Do we think MW means that she made Mab the WK and Mab than "worked up" to being Winter Queen? Or, did she just mean letting Mab pick the new one. I'm inclined toward the latter, but I've seen it mentioned in a theory that Mab became the Knight when MW lost her walking stick. Also, what do we know about who picks whom the mantle goes to? IIRC Maeve picked Slate, then Mab picked Harry, and MW implies that she would pick the next (although that could just be because she was going to kill him herself). Is it purely whoever the closest queen to the Knight when they die, or is there an order to it (ie Lady, Queen, Mother, Lady, etc.)?

Offline Cyberchihuahua

• Conversationalist
  • Lft. WMC_Cyberchihuahua
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
I think that it means that as Mother Winter, she has ultimate authority over who gets the mantel, but left it in the possession of Mab to grant.
Moo!

DV Cyberchihuahua V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP++ JB- TH+ WG++ CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH [Murphy++]   currently...

No Changes, know peace! Know Changes, no peace!

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
i thought the wild hunt had to be SUMMONED or some such? wasn't that the point of peabodies book? an doesn't have to be halloween? :( sorry my collection is incomplete or i'd research it myself.

I got that impression too. For the Hunt to reach earth the one to lead it had to be summoned.  I assumed whoever summoned the outsiders also summoned the Hunt.  Or had someone else summon it.....probably Ace.     Also it is taking place on Halloween....remember Molly gave Harry his coat as a bday present.
"I have a monster under my bed, and it's Mouse.…There was another one there but me and Mouse slayerized it. --Maggie Dresden

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 07:08:12 PM »
No, the Hunt just tends to go wherever it wants. It only had to be summoned to Chicago specifically in Dead Beat.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »
No, the Hunt just tends to go wherever it wants. It only had to be summoned to Chicago specifically in Dead Beat.
sorry, but that makes no sense... I agree it might go where ever it's led in the NN.... but DB is all about how the Hunt works in the Dresden verse. There hasn't been a hunt every Halloween on Earth. Why would only Chicago require summoning.
"I have a monster under my bed, and it's Mouse.…There was another one there but me and Mouse slayerized it. --Maggie Dresden

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »
sorry, but that makes no sense... I agree it might go where ever it's led in the NN.... but DB is all about how the Hunt works in the Dresden verse. There hasn't been a hunt every Halloween on Earth. Why would only Chicago require summoning.
And Cold Days is all about how Halloween is the big day where creatures of the Nevernever come out and play.

It doesn't need to be summoned to come to Chicago, I meant the Necromancers were summoning it to make sure it was in Chicago. Even if the Wyld Hunt comes to Earth every year, it doesn't do the Necromancers any good if it's in Scotland.

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 01:02:11 AM »
And Cold Days is all about how Halloween is the big day where creatures of the Nevernever come out and play.

good point in that Halloween is a time when NN creatures come out to play and potentially to strengthen themselves.  But many NN creatures cross over anytime they want...doesn't have to be Halloween. And I got the impression the Hunt runs around in the NN whenever...not just Halloween. 

If the Hunt doesn't need to be summoned to earth why does the Erlking say to Harry at the end of DB

Called you forth a mighty hunter tonight. One that has NOT walked this earth since time gone and forgotten. ...... because you pleased me with the calling of the old hunter, this night you may go free.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 01:11:31 AM »
Because he's talking about Sue.