Author Topic: Whatever happened to "on topic"?  (Read 9048 times)

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
Whatever happened to "on topic"?
« on: June 08, 2007, 03:09:03 PM »
I hate to sound too grumpy here, but the guidelines for this particular forum is supposed to be about the Dresden Files RPG.

I know that some of the threads have been slightly off topic -- threads such as playing SotC or ways to play Dresden in other game systems -- but I think at least these threads can be justified.
1. Spirit of the Century contains the core rules which will form the basis of the Dresden Files RPG, with some modifications to magic use and other details along the way. Because it's closely tied to DFRPG (and is written by the same authors) I would think that such discussions are appropriate in this forum.
2. Discussing Dresden in other RPG systems is a bit tangential, but at least is still Dresden-based and after all these are Dresden boards. While some might argue that these threads should stick to the official RPG, it should be noted that since the official RPG hasn't been completed yet this could be somewhat limiting. Again, I would argue that these threads are okay as well.

What I'm seeing recently is a lot of general/generic RPG threads that have no relationship to Jim Butcher, Evil Hat, the Dresden Files RPG, or anything else that I can tie directly to these products.

There are many generic RPG sites on the 'net, as well as an "McAnaly's Anything Goes" section here on Jim's site. Any chance that we can stay on topic more and get some of the random threads moved to McAnaly's?

I'm interested in discussion of anything Dresden related, but I get to the point where it's hard to find anything on topic in the midst of the background static.

Just my two cents.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Whatever happened to "on topic"?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »
I've been lax.  Apologies.

Bumped the ones that didn't obviously contain Dresden content.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Wolfhowls

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 05:45:12 PM »
My two cent is ....DOH...sorry Iago

Offline caynreth

• Posty McPostington
  • sing, dance, start a revolution!
    • View Profile
    • my personal Pampered Chef website
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:04:43 PM »
I think part of the problem is that it's hard to discuss something that doesn't actually exist yet and we haven't seen. *shrug* Only so many "wouldn't it be cool if..." posts one can make :o)

so...when are we gonna see the game? soon? please? pretty please? (not that I don't know how long it takes to get product out. sigh. I'm fully aware. been there, done that, STILL doing that daily.)
"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/tiffanyragland

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 03:36:04 AM »
If you head over to the website at www.dresdenfilesrpg.com you'll see the first of eight installments on the Laws of Magic. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 03:59:42 AM »
I think part of the problem is that it's hard to discuss something that doesn't actually exist yet and we haven't seen. *shrug* Only so many "wouldn't it be cool if..." posts one can make :o)
Oh, I'm quite aware of this issue as well. That's why I suggested some options of discussion on (1) Spirit of the Century, since it has a similar mechanic, and (2) ideas for Dresden role playing in other game systems. That way, we can still discuss the way magic works, relative strengths of characters and critters, or other aspects of Dresden gaming that might actually be useful down the road when the official game is finally released.

Again, apologies if I come off grumpy on this issue. It's not my intent to discourage enthusiasm.
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 04:01:44 AM »
I've been lax.  Apologies.

Bumped the ones that didn't obviously contain Dresden content.
Oh, and thanks Iago. You da man. (I'd rather have you writing game materials than doing moderator-fu anyway... ;))
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline caynreth

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 03:42:48 PM »
Oh, I'm quite aware of this issue as well. That's why I suggested some options of discussion on (1) Spirit of the Century, since it has a similar mechanic, and (2) ideas for Dresden role playing in other game systems. That way, we can still discuss the way magic works, relative strengths of characters and critters, or other aspects of Dresden gaming that might actually be useful down the road when the official game is finally released.

Again, apologies if I come off grumpy on this issue. It's not my intent to discourage enthusiasm.

yeah, well, I personally haven't seen SotC either. And since I HATE pulp (although the men in my life seem to like it. That and steampunk - ick. Must be a guy thing) I'm not likely to play that game.

Also: I could care less about mechanics as long as they don't get in the way of the story. So...talking about a game whose story is uninteresting to me because it has the same mechanic as a story that WILL interest me is not helpful.

When I gm I tend to throw out most of the mechanics anyway and wing it. Things move faster and the players like it better if their actual role playing and character interaction is not bogged down with dice rolling.

Give me lots of juicy source material! Lot of world background and lush descriptions of people, places, and things. Give me history and mythology and culture and I'm happy.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 04:51:53 PM »
This board doesn't *have* to see use in advance of the game being out.  If you aren't interested in participating in on-topic, relevant discussion under the pre-publication circumstances -- don't!  We have plenty of other boards here for you. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline caynreth

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 08:01:32 PM »
*smile* indeed. I read, I has not much to contribute. I wait. I TRY to be patient. But is not in my nature.