Author Topic: [CD Sample Chapters - Spoilers] Suggestion Box for the Upcoming Q&As  (Read 24295 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
Re: [CD Sample Chapters - Spoilers] Suggestion Box for the Upcoming Q&As
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2013, 09:25:08 PM »
Do animals have Free Will? Do they have souls?
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2013, 09:26:50 PM »
You've said before that human beings are the only beings that have Free Will. However we have since learned that angels are all soul and so presumably have Free Will (plus how did Lucifer Fall if he didn't have Free Will?). Can a Fallen be redeemed or do they lose their Free Will after they Fall?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »
Tera West, a wolf had no soul.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2013, 09:34:55 PM »
Tera West, a wolf had no soul.

Harry says in Fool Moon that she does have a soul but it is too alien to soulgaze (of course he could be wrong. In the first few books he also makes a bunch of other mistakes like saying that the 4th Law is applicable to non-mortals and saying that the 7th Law applies to demons. Harry being inexperienced is basically the rationale for the mistakes he makes in those books).

Offline Anthony

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »
Did Mab get pregnant from Harry?
Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me and my life is done.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:50 PM »
Is a being without Free Will worth less than a being with Free Will? If you do bad things to a being without Free Will, is that okay? How should they be treated? Like humans? LIke animals? If you have a choice between saving either an unrepentant serial killer or a friendly being without Free Will, is it immoral to save the friendly being since the mortal could have changed his ways?
So kill Mouse if he attacks the serial killer?
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2013, 02:18:28 AM »
So kill Mouse if he attacks the serial killer?

I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

How do you come up with the bounds between Characters free will and the Divine Hand?
For the Dresden Files, the whole point of The Almighty positive good forces that are out there is that free will is important and they respect that and you've gotta have it and use it.  That's the entire point.  They are a force of freedom.  And it's the bad guys who are going around doing whatever they can to abrogate free will.  So for me, where you draw the line is what defines where good stops and evil starts is by how much you're taking away free will and how much you're enabling it.

If I had to take a stab at an explanation that I think Jim would give, I would say that presumably Mouse is attacking for a good reason (the serial killer is trying to kill someone or Harry or whatever). Normally Harry's Free Will and The SK's Free Will are equal and so their lives are both of equal worth. However, if the serial killer kills Harry or Mouse or some other being that Mouse deems worthy of protecting, the total Free Will and/or potential for enabling Free Will (this is why beings without Free Will get a pass. Sometimes they can enable Free Will) goes down (not to mention he'll probably do it again). In order to preserve maximum Free Will the serial killers Free Will must be taken away (in an ideal situation this would never happen but the Dresdenverse is not an ideal world).

Now if Mouse just attacked the serial killer for no good reason than you might be justified in killing him. Ideally you would just subdue him because he has potential for enabling Free Will though.

Keep in mind that I'm tired right now and I'm probably forgetting some things.

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2013, 02:33:28 AM »
You've said before that human beings are the only beings that have Free Will. However we have since learned that angels are all soul and so presumably have Free Will (plus how did Lucifer Fall if he didn't have Free Will?). Can a Fallen be redeemed or do they lose their Free Will after they Fall?
angels don't have free will they hav to act with in set  pramiters,  countering  the fallen  is one  thats why uriel can only wisper 7 words  to harry

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2013, 02:36:26 AM »
angels don't have free will they hav to act with in set  pramiters,  countering  the fallen  is one  thats why uriel can only wisper 7 words  to harry

The whole thing with angels and Free Will is much much murkier than you say. To take one example, how did Satan fall if he didn't have Free Will?

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2013, 02:41:12 AM »
 could be :D maybe they had it  before motals came about  and since they had so much power they had  to have restriction on there abilty to effect the mortal world

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2013, 02:43:12 AM »
could be :D maybe they had it  before motals came about  and since they had so much power they had  to have restriction on there abilty to effect the mortal world

Who knows?

Jim does. That's why I'm asking him in this thread. I'd like some hard answers instead of murkyness.

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2013, 02:49:03 AM »
 if this hlp...
 i sveral actully uriel said clearly amused all designed for your protection but  there are som thing i can tell you
 so angels are bound by laws at the very least

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2013, 02:50:40 AM »
if this hlp...
 i sveral actully uriel said clearly amused all designed for your protection but  there are som thing i can tell you
 so angels are bound by laws at the very least

Humans can be bound by laws too.

Offline Ben de Wal

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2013, 03:00:08 AM »
 sorry i just cheated and wentto the woj There is a rather long discussion as to what constitutes free will as an element in the back end of this book (Ghost Story).  Is what is presented and discussed as a concept, your own philosophy?  How did that come about, the idea that free will is making your choices based upon truth.
Right, and in the Dresden Files universe it's a vital component.  It's what devides mortals, human beings, from everybody else.  Is that we're the ones that have elements of both good and evil inside us, we're the ones who get to chose what to do.  And because that's who we are, we make the world around us through those choices.  The forces of the universe, these cosmic forces are always ballanced against one another, and we're the ones who can tilt that see-saw one way or another with our actions.  I think that is largely true in real life, but it is certainly a very fun, dramatic use of the concept of free will for writing with.  It's very important in general, and that's why Harry, as he's gotten more mature, he's striven so much harder to make sure that other people have a choice, you know, he's not trying to make choices for people any more, he's trying to make sure that they know what's going on, and can make an informed choice.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2013, 04:56:38 AM »
I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

If I had to take a stab at an explanation that I think Jim would give, I would say that presumably Mouse is attacking for a good reason (the serial killer is trying to kill someone or Harry or whatever). Normally Harry's Free Will and The SK's Free Will are equal and so their lives are both of equal worth. However, if the serial killer kills Harry or Mouse or some other being that Mouse deems worthy of protecting, the total Free Will and/or potential for enabling Free Will (this is why beings without Free Will get a pass. Sometimes they can enable Free Will) goes down (not to mention he'll probably do it again). In order to preserve maximum Free Will the serial killers Free Will must be taken away (in an ideal situation this would never happen but the Dresdenverse is not an ideal world).

Now if Mouse just attacked the serial killer for no good reason than you might be justified in killing him. Ideally you would just subdue him because he has potential for enabling Free Will though.

Keep in mind that I'm tired right now and I'm probably forgetting some things.
Or maybe the serial killer attacked Mouse because he likes killing beings without free will.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]