Author Topic: [CD Sample Chapters - Spoilers] Suggestion Box for the Upcoming Q&As  (Read 24333 times)

Offline CenturionsofRome

• Conversationalist
  • Time Flees. So run like hell, and dont look back.
    • View Profile
Re: [CD Sample Chapters - Spoilers] Suggestion Box for the Upcoming Q&As
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 11:08:44 PM »
Yeah, but she was a were-human.
What do you get when you combine the knowledge hoarding nature of a wizard, neurodiversity, an overly creative mind, and a growing passion for writing? Me! Go here to find out about a series I plan on writing.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 12:02:40 AM »
Were means Man, actually.  Tera would be a wolf-wo, I think.  This has been your etymology lesson for the day.

Offline Goodknight

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
Did Santa Claus have to do a lot of marketing to get his name out (like Mab and the Grimm Fairy Tales)?  Or did humans just decide "Hey! Lets immortalize Santa Clause!"   Also, what was Mab's reaction when she found out that Santa became more famous in the mortal world than every other single fairy combined?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:20:24 AM by Goodknight »

Offline Anthony

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »
Oh no, Molly possessed by the Yellow Eyed Basta**! (let's see who gets the reference. :P)

Molly is much too old for him. I am sure she is quite safe... ;)

But in all seriousness, I can't remember anything with yellow eyes. Rampires had dark ones didn't they?

Nothing yet has those eyes. And that is precisely the reason I would like to know the answer to that question. Ity would not surprise me if we will see characters with such eyes later on in the series (people possessed by outsiders perhaps?) Seemed like a nice question for Jim...
Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me and my life is done.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
The eyes weren't actually yellow. Here's the description from PG:

Quote from: Proven Guilty, Ch. 41
One was an emaciated version of Molly, as though she’d been starved or strung out on hard drugs, her eyes aglow with an unpleasant, fey light.

"...her eyes aglow with an unpleasant, fey light." I'd guess that any number of supernatural creatures might be capable of crawling inside a human and causing them to look like that. We might even have seen one or two in the books already, if the creatures can cause different changes in the appearances of their victims. That look could even be the result of a bargain or series of bargains with some of the fae. Probably Winter fae, maybe even Lea.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »

"...her eyes aglow with an unpleasant, fey light." I'd guess that any number of supernatural creatures might be capable of crawling inside a human and causing them to look like that. We might even have seen one or two in the books already, if the creatures can cause different changes in the appearances of their victims. That look could even be the result of a bargain or series of bargains with some of the fae. Probably Winter fae, maybe even Lea.

Honestly, I think she's already taken her first few steps along this path. Possession isn't necesary.  The girl already looks like a junky, her sanity is borderline, and she's got an extremely dangerous faerie for a tutor. All she needs are the glowing eyes, and I'm sure Lea could arrange that as part of a bargain.  Heck, Molly herself could make her eyes glow if she wanted to look intimidating as part of her bag lady act.

DV Aesir v1.2 YR8FR8 BK++ RP++ TH++ ?WG BC+ SH[Molly+++ Lara++ Mab++ Elaine++ Gard+ Murphy- Mavra----]

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2012, 03:47:51 PM »
Thought of a few more questions for the Q&As:

1) Harry has claimed Demonreach as his "sanctum" with the sanctum invocation. A sanctum is a person's own, private place, their own personal sanctuary. We already know most of the practical effects of sanctum spells, but I'm wondering if there are side-effects which might be similar to claiming a place as one's home. With that in mind, could Demonreach, without Harry living there, begin to develop a threshold? Could Harry hang wards on the place even without a threshold? If Harry did start living there, would the entire island begin to develop a threshold, covering the same area that's covered by the Demonreach genius loci?

2) Lea has apparently followed Harry for his entire life, protecting him from attacks coming through from the Nevernever. Given that he has lived in several places, does this mean that Lea is able to change where a place on Earth links to in the Nevernever, so that each of his homes were linked up to her killing ground? Or has Lea simply been following him around, claiming all of the places Harry's homes connect to in the Nevernever as her own, and then creating new grounds at those places? Will Lea be able to do this if Harry decides to live on Demonreach?

3) If someone is the subject of a bargain between a fae and someone else, does that person(the subject) have any rights under Faerie law? Do they have the right to know the terms of the bargain which concerns them?

I figure the answer to the last one is "no, of course not," but it seems like there could be a chance. Fae don't always seem to advertise the rules of their behavior, but they do still follow rules, like the one where a fae has to do something if they say three times that they were meant to do it.

I'm still unclear on how that rule differs from them not being able to tell a lie, unless the difference is that fae aren't usually bound by what may happen in the future. The saying-something-three-times thing could mean that, if they say they ought to do something three times, then they are bound to do everything in their power to actually do it. Otherwise, maybe they can write the statement off as being unable to control the future or something. Which I guess could be another question:

4) How does the fae rule about saying something three times differ from the rule against saying something that isn't true? Doesn't the rule against lying also prevent a fae from saying they will do something and then not doing it?
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2012, 09:39:37 PM »

Maybe we will get a cross over with Stargate and Molly becomes a Goa'uld. :P
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.

Offline AxGrinder

• Conversationalist
  • I like to be in the middle of things. With my ax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »
Were means Man, actually.  Tera would be a wolf-wo, I think.  This has been your etymology lesson for the day.

I applaude you for my hearty guffaw.   :D

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 10:27:19 PM »
I've got a question, but I'm not sure on the formatting.

Do the Fae have souls?  Harry has claimed that they don't, but was he right?  Did Harry deny Aurora both a normal life & an afterlife to boot? 

If not, what happens to their soul, does it move onto the afterlife when a Changeling chooses, or is it converted into part of the new being.

(Angels don't have free will, & are all soul, so if Harry is making the assumption that the Fae have no souls based on the lack of free will, I just assume its a mistake.)

Wordy, right?  If I get a chance, I plan to just really ask the first bit, but I figure I should put out my entire thinking here.  It was something I wanted to know, back with Aurora & Meryl, but now has come up to the forefront of my thinking.

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »

Do the Fae have souls?  Harry has claimed that they don't, but was he right?  Did Harry deny Aurora both a normal life & an afterlife to boot? 

If not, what happens to their soul, does it move onto the afterlife when a Changeling chooses, or is it converted into part of the new being.

(Angels don't have free will, & are all soul, so if Harry is making the assumption that the Fae have no souls based on the lack of free will, I just assume its a mistake.)

Wordy, right?  If I get a chance, I plan to just really ask the first bit, but I figure I should put out my entire thinking here.  It was something I wanted to know, back with Aurora & Meryl, but now has come up to the forefront of my thinking.

That's a great question, should be our n°1 priority after CD.

Personally, I'm still trying to get an answer on my "Maeve at Splattercon" theory (see my signature). I'll try at the Bitten Books Q&A.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:35:57 PM by Elegast »
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »

There are some seeming inconsistencies surrounding this subject.  Are sidhe who are not faerie queens immortal? or only the faerie queens?  How can Lily be the first "mortal" to become a faerie queen when the same thing occurred with Maeve?  and much, much earlier Mab?  How can a mortal non-fae become an immortal fae?  Does she still have her soul? Or free will?   Can such a state be forced on her against her will? What percentage of new fae aredue to fae-fae breeding, and what percentage are due to fae-human breeding?  Can fae even breed with each other?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:40:45 PM by Aesir »
DV Aesir v1.2 YR8FR8 BK++ RP++ TH++ ?WG BC+ SH[Molly+++ Lara++ Mab++ Elaine++ Gard+ Murphy- Mavra----]

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 10:52:36 PM »
There are some seeming inconsistencies surrounding this subject.  Are sidhe who are not faerie queens immortal? or only the faerie queens?  How can Lily be the first "mortal" to become a faerie queen when the same thing occurred with Maeve?  and much, much earlier Mab?  How can a mortal non-fae become an immortal fae?  Does she still have her soul? Or free will?   Can such a state be forced on her against her will? What percentage of new fae aredue to fae-fae breeding, and what percentage are due to fae-human breeding?  Can fae even breed with each other?

Presumably, Lily was the first individual to become Lady without having Chosen or already been a Sidhe.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline robertltux

• Posty McPostington
  • Cat Sith Must rise again
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2012, 10:58:29 PM »
Therefore he isn't so good at little evocations that take a lot of pinpoint control, although he is getting better at them as the series progresses. It's big evocations that involve massive destruction and take down entire buildings that he's a natural at.  :P
Gecko insurance only covers Acts Of Harry and not Acts Of God.
do you think that maybe sometimes Harry should just go ahead and LEVEL a building just so the owner can invoke Total Loss provisions?? (building is 30% toast so go ahead and level it so save the owner a possible Fix Payout)
Jim/Bast could we have more Cat Sith???

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, 11:16:25 AM »
Presumably, Lily was the first individual to become Lady without having Chosen or already been a Sidhe.
Mab was mortal too

And I think the first queens all were.

My current theory is that when the first queen got children the first changelings were born. Some of these changelings became queen as well. It does not happen often but is was nothing new.

The big problem was that Lilly was uninformed, unprepared and not that bright to start with. Her personality was not too strong either. And Titania did not help her with anything. She was doomed to fail.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]