Author Topic: [CD Sample Chapters - Spoilers] Suggestion Box for the Upcoming Q&As  (Read 24563 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: [CD Sample Chapters - Spoilers] Suggestion Box for the Upcoming Q&As
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 06:02:34 AM »
I'm fairly certain that the following were answered by Jim at one point or another:

The Wizards gaining power one has been answered by select book quotes, the rest, no.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 07:53:51 AM »
I have a bunch of questions in the relevant thread, but only one of them got asked, I'd want it to be whether Talos is still alive after the end of SK, because that is one that for some reason irrationally nags at me and seems unlikely to connect to anything that would lead to an "I'm not going to tell you".

I'd also really like to know
1) When was Kemmler's last stand, 1961 as per DB or WWII as per GS ?
2) If Harry had known about Lea's bargain with Maggie, could he have just demanded her help against Justin instead of selling himself for it and:
2b) if the answer to 2) is yes, is Harry ever going to find/figure this out ?

but I suspect that 2) might well get an "I'm not going to tell you", and there have been rumblings that some of the apparent series inconsistencies are part of a larger plan so 1) might as well.  Indeed, I can see 2) being resolved in CD.
I asked him that for you a couple of years ago and got a half answer.  He said that Maggie didn't have enough time to set the deal up as well as she could have if she'd had more time.  So while that's not a direct answer to it, it is close.  And I think the gist is no, that she didn't close all the loopholes and for help he didn't really need anyway he had to ask himself.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 08:48:23 AM »
7) Where did Madrigal Raith acquire those ward cloths as they seem to  be rather convenient for participating in a duel  he didn't know he'd be in.

I know this isn't a definitive answer to the question like a WoJ would be, but I think I can answer the "rather convenient" part of the question. Madrigal Raith was basically a member of the White Court nobility. His uncle is King of the White Court. Members of nobility are bound to collect objects like those warded armbands, because they can afford them and they're in a position to come across such things, due to their prominence within the structure of the ruling House. I see it as something like the way wealthy families often collect antiques or expensive works of art; only, in this case, the armbands had practical value in a duel.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »
I know this isn't a definitive answer to the question like a WoJ would be, but I think I can answer the "rather convenient" part of the question. Madrigal Raith was basically a member of the White Court nobility. His uncle is King of the White Court. Members of nobility are bound to collect objects like those warded armbands, because they can afford them and they're in a position to come across such things, due to their prominence within the structure of the ruling House. I see it as something like the way wealthy families often collect antiques or expensive works of art; only, in this case, the armbands had practical value in a duel.
House Malvora could have provided them as well. Winning this duel was crucial to them and Madrigal was not really up to the task and needed some help.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »
The Wizards gaining power one has been answered by select book quotes, the rest, no.

I recall Jim saying in one of the audio Q&A's that the senior council members were around Harry's age at the time of the French and Indian War.  Some day he may even go back and write about that period.

On evocation I recall Jim saying in an audio interview that Harry is one of the most skilled WC members at evocation, although the senior council members have been doing it for far longer than he has, and have the skill to back it up. The Merlin is the Merlin for very good reason. 

As for Chichen Itza, my memory has fogged over from time, but I believe that at some point Jim said something along the lines of it being put to the same use in the time of the Aztecs as it was in Changes, magical rituals involving human sacrifices. 

For his exact words, you'd have to dig through the audio interviews.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:49:25 PM by Aesir »
DV Aesir v1.2 YR8FR8 BK++ RP++ TH++ ?WG BC+ SH[Molly+++ Lara++ Mab++ Elaine++ Gard+ Murphy- Mavra----]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
I recall Jim saying in one of the audio Q&A's that the senior council members were around Harry's age at the time of the French and Indian War.  Some day he may even go back and write about that period.

On evocation I recall Jim saying in an audio interview that Harry is one of the most skilled WC members at evocation, although the senior council members have been doing it for far longer than he has, and have the skill to back it up. The Merlin is the Merlin for very good reason. 

As for Chichen Itza, my memory has fogged over from time, but I believe that at some point Jim said something along the lines of it being put to the same use in the old days as it was in Changes, magical rituals involving human sacrifices. 

For his exact words, you'd have to dig through the audio interviews.

For the senior council, their ages are all over the map, Langtry and Eb are the same age, LTW and Martha unknown but appear to be same generation, Mai's over 400, Pietrovich and Cristos unknown and nobody freaking knows how old Rashid is, he was running around in 700A.D.

And the possibility of Harry being one of the best evocators makes me want an official clarification even more, in early books he was supposed to be pathetic at evocation and good at thaumaturgy, in later ones he's skilled in both with a talent for evocation in particular.

And the Chichen Itza thing, the only one who said Chichen Itza was used for that was Odin in Changes.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »
For the senior council, their ages are all over the map, Langtry and Eb are the same age, LTW and Martha unknown but appear to be same generation, Mai's over 400, Pietrovich and Cristos unknown and nobody freaking knows how old Rashid is, he was running around in 700A.D.

Yep, Pietrovich and Cristos are unknowns, although Cristos must be the youngest of the bunch given the rules of seniority, and Mai is over 400.  The rest sound as if they are somewhere around 250-300, judging from the French and Indian War remark.

And the possibility of Harry being one of the best evocators makes me want an official clarification even more, in early books he was supposed to be pathetic at evocation and good at thaumaturgy, in later ones he's skilled in both with a talent for evocation in particular.

Do you have the citation on where he was supposed to be pathetic at evocation?  I recall something along those lines in the very first book, although I don't think "pathetic" was the word used.  Given that this series spans 2 decades of supernatural bad guys trying to kill him, his evocation skills have been forced to improve greatly in order for him to survive, kind of like what Molly is now going through now with Lea & the Fomor, so it may well have been accurate for the Harry of that time, but no longer accurate for the Harry of today.  Otherwise he wouldn't have been drafted to help teach evocation to young wardens.

And the Chichen Itza thing, the only one who said Chichen Itza was used for that was Odin in Changes.

Do we have reason to believe that Odin was mistaken?
DV Aesir v1.2 YR8FR8 BK++ RP++ TH++ ?WG BC+ SH[Molly+++ Lara++ Mab++ Elaine++ Gard+ Murphy- Mavra----]

Offline Casterbridge

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 03:34:15 PM »
Actually he tried to use the sight on an angel in GS... not soulgaze. Different and distinct actions.

Bleh I attribute my statement to tiredness and hunger and not properly reading the statement I quoted.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »
Yep, Pietrovich and Cristos are unknowns, although Cristos must be the youngest of the bunch given the rules of seniority, and Mai is over 400.  The rest sound as if they are somewhere around 250-300, judging from the French and Indian War remark.

Do you have the citation on where he was supposed to be pathetic at evocation?  I recall something along those lines in the very first book, although I don't think "pathetic" was the word used.  Given that this series spans 2 decades of supernatural bad guys trying to kill him, his evocation skills have been forced to improve greatly in order for him to survive, kind of like what Molly is now going through now with Lea & the Fomor, so it may well have been accurate for the Harry of that time, but no longer accurate for the Harry of today.  Otherwise he wouldn't have been drafted to help teach evocation to young wardens.

Do we have reason to believe that Odin was mistaken?

I want more specific ages than just "alive back in the french and indian war".

Quote from: Proven Guilty chapter 29
I gripped my blasting rod so hard that my knuckles turned white, and struggled to work out an evocation on the fly. I'm not much of an evocator. That's, the whole reason I used tools like my staff and blasting rod to help me control and focus my energy. The very thought of spontaneously trying out a new evocation was enough to make sweat bead on my forehead, and I tried to remind myself that it wasn't a new evocation. It was just a very, very, very skewed application of an old one.

The most recent quote on him being bad with evocation.

And we know What it was used for, I'm asking about Who it was used on in that time and Why.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
I want more specific ages than just "alive back in the french and indian war".

Asking Jim point blank for the exact ages of all the SC members assumes that not only has he picked birth years for them all, but that he remembers them without having to check his notes as well. I'll lay odds that "alive back in the french and indian war" is just the sort of answer you'd get if you were to ask him for their ages.

The most recent quote on him being bad with evocation.

Harry has come a long way since the first book in the series.

And we know What it was used for, I'm asking about Who it was used on in that time and Why.

The Why seems obvious, and maybe I've missed something, but I don't see what's so special about the Who.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:59:42 PM by Aesir »

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »
I haven't seen the WoJ talking about Harry's skill at evocation, so I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet that a statement like that would need to be qualified with, "for his age" or "of his generation." I can see Harry being considered very good at evocation for someone of his age, but not for, say, a wizard who's 150 years old and has been a Warden for 100 years of that time. It seems like any Warden who's 150 years old or so is going to be way better at evocation than Harry is, just by dent of skill gained through an extra 100 years of experience.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Casterbridge

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 05:01:01 PM »
Well Carlos was said and shown to be much more skilled at evocation, less powerful but still more talented.

Grant it Harry has and most likely will continue to improve his skill, so in the end he would probably get the upper hand as he already has the larger power base.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
Harry has come a long way since the first book in the series.

That's not book 1, that's a quote from book 8.

The Why seems obvious, and maybe I've missed something, but I don't see what's so special about the Who.

Really, what ritual was used that required Chichen Itza? what did they do to piss the Reds off that much? Who were the targets?

And this is all just a piece of irrelevant background information I'm asking about.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »
I haven't seen the WoJ talking about Harry's skill at evocation, so I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet that a statement like that would need to be qualified with, "for his age" or "of his generation." I can see Harry being considered very good at evocation for someone of his age, but not for, say, a wizard who's 150 years old and has been a Warden for 100 years of that time. It seems like any Warden who's 150 years old or so is going to be way better at evocation than Harry is, just by dent of skill gained through an extra 100 years of experience.

Yep, we've had several comparisons of Harry with other wizards both in books and in Q&A's.  He has a huge amount of raw power, and in the time span between Proven Guilty and Cold Days, due to his growing skill, he's gotten a lot more efficient at using that power.  That's still only 20 years of hard practice, Luccio (in her original body) and most of the senior council members have had over 200.  And Morgan wasn't quite as old as all of them, but still considerably older than Harry, and considered by Harry to be "one of the best evocators in the world".  Do we know Morgan's age?

Well Carlos was said and shown to be much more skilled at evocation, less powerful but still more talented.

I recall Carlos being way more skilled at water magic, but his skill advantage in evocation wasn't necessarily large enough to make up for Harry's greater raw power. I kind of had the feeling that the difference between Carlos and Harry is very similar to the difference between Elaine and Harry.  Carlos and Elaine both have less raw power, so they had to make up for it by developing skill more quickly.  That doesn't mean Harry isn't a match for them, he just didn't need to develop the same amount of fine skill since he had so much more firepower at his disposal.  His top priority was controlling that firepower so he didn't accidentally kill all his friends and level entire buildings, not in making the most out of a pea shooter.  Therefore he isn't so good at little evocations that take a lot of pinpoint control, although he is getting better at them as the series progresses. It's big evocations that involve massive destruction and take down entire buildings that he's a natural at.  :P

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »
That's not book 1, that's a quote from book 8.

Interesting, and that's rather similar to the wording used in book 1.  I suspect the distinction, based on previous descriptions by Jim, is a matter of context.  Harry has a bigger, fatter supply of magic power available to him than most other wizards do.  So his #1 issue is controlling all that power so he doesn't accidentally blow himself or those around him up.  That's why historically he's been highly dependent on his staff and blasting rod to help him focus and maintain control of his evocations. For most other wizards, accidentally taking out a building is less of an issue. So controlling their magical power comes more easily than it does to Harry, and this leads to them having an advantage at complex little magics that don't take much power, but a great deal of focus and control.  So they have a head-start in the efficiency race, and in a lot of ways find it easier going, at least at first, to improve their skill at complex evocations, and to work without foci.

On the other hand, most wizards don't spend a lot of time saving the world.  So when a Ramp comes charging at them, they may freeze, panic, cast an inappropriate evocation, or simply screw up the right evocation.  Harry has none of those issues.  He's had lots of practice at emergency evocations.  Furthermore, Harry's fine control has gotten significantly better in the last few books, and his spells have grown more flexible, so for a mage of his age, he likely is a good evocator, especially at big spells, even if there are other evocators, his age or even younger, that are better at intricate little spells. So I suppose it depends on how the word "evocator" is used. If we use evocator as a synonym for combat mage, than he's a damn good one for his age.  He can throw big, destructive evocations that most other mages couldn't dream of pulling off. Yet if we use evocator as a synonym for someone able to quickly cast a complicated spell that they made up on the spot, then he's not very good at it.  It's all relative.

Really, what ritual was used that required Chichen Itza? what did they do to piss the Reds off that much? Who were the targets?

And this is all just a piece of irrelevant background information I'm asking about.

I read that passage in Changes a bit differently. It wasn't that they used the very same ritual when Cortes came through, but that the Reds haven't used the location since Cortes conquered the Aztecs.   Do we know what supernatural group Cortes was associated with that the Ramps weren't able to stop his conquest? 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:37:33 PM by Aesir »