Author Topic: [CD Sample Chapters - Spoilers] Suggestion Box for the Upcoming Q&As  (Read 24288 times)

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
With the online Q&A sessions coming up today and on the 20th, I thought it might be helpful if we had a place to pool question ideas. If you want to ask a question, but for some reason can't remember any of the thousand questions you've had about the series over the years now that the pressure's on, or if you have so many questions that you feel like you need to spread them around so that other people can share some of the burden, then this thread's for you.

Some of mine, to start off:

1) Angels are apparently all soul. So:
   1a) Can angels be soulgazed?
   1b) Can the Fallen in the Denarii be soulgazed through the second pair of eyes which    sometimes show up on the foreheads of the Denarians? And, if so:
   1c) Will the soulgaze be different than the one you would see if you simply soulgazed the    Fallen's Denarian host?

2) Would you(Jim) please clarify exactly who the Faerie Queens can personally kill and who they can't? At various times in Summer Knight and in the rest of the series, we've been told or seen evidence that:

-- The Sidhe Knights are the only ones allowed to act in matters not directly related to the Faerie Courts. (SK, Ch. 10)
-- The Queens are not allowed to kill anyone who isn't a member of their own Court. (SK, Ch. 10)

And yet:

-- We've seen fae servants of the Faerie Queens kill and attempt to kill mortals many times.
-- Aurora was able to try to kill Harry just fine, but was unable to harm Murphy. (SK, Ch. 20-21)
-- When Harry is preparing to deal with Mab to become the Winter Knight, he thinks to himself that Mab can't kill a mortal, only make them wish they were dead. The implication seems to include the Winter Knight. (Changes, Ch. 30)

So which mortals can the Faerie Queens kill? Bob tells us one thing, but evidence in the books indicates something else.

3) Can Changelings be soulgazed?

4) Since Lash is apparently some sort of spirit-being, can she take on a physical-seeming form while she's in the spirit world, the way ghosts can?

Questions From Other People (from a more-or-less identical thread I made last year, which, alas, came too late):

Vairelome:

From one of the recent threads concerning Maggie, there was some discussion about her official last name right now (post GS, staying with the Carpenters).

So: "What is Maggie's official last name right now?" and if clarification is needed, "Under what last name is she registered at the local elementary school (assuming that's where she's placed)?"

Karley:

1) How and when did Harry and Michael meet? Would you consider writing a short story about their first encounter?
2) How long has Arthur Langtry been the Merlin?
3) How does one become the Merlin? [ Already answered. ]
4) Is the Winter Lady Maeve the same person as or was she some way involved with the old Irish Queen Maeve of Connacht?
5) If Harry ever does put his full effort into universe-hopping, can you make him go to Discworld?
6) What are the names of the other three minor vampire courts?
7) How did Justin DuMorne find out about Harry?
8 ) When did the old Mother Summer retire and why won't Mother Winter retire?
9) How old is the Gatekeeper?
10) How did the White Council annex the New World shamans and what were the reaction of the Natives?

Eleyctra:

Is it significant that the eyes of Lea changed from gold in the earlier books, to green in Changes? Is Mab controlling Lea more than we think?

jeno:

1) How old were Eb and Maggie Sr when they first manifested a talent?
2) How many sisters does Thomas have?
[ Already answered. ]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:49:14 PM by AcornArmy »
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: [CD Sample Chapters - Spoilers] Suggestion Box for the Upcoming Q&As
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
jeno:

1) How old were Eb and Maggie Sr when they first manifested a talent?
2) How many sisters does Thomas have?

These ones have already been answered.

3) How does one become the Merlin?

This one was also answered, the senior council pick out a new Merlin from amongst themselves.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
I have a bunch of questions in the relevant thread, but only one of them got asked, I'd want it to be whether Talos is still alive after the end of SK, because that is one that for some reason irrationally nags at me and seems unlikely to connect to anything that would lead to an "I'm not going to tell you".

I'd also really like to know
1) When was Kemmler's last stand, 1961 as per DB or WWII as per GS ?
2) If Harry had known about Lea's bargain with Maggie, could he have just demanded her help against Justin instead of selling himself for it and:
2b) if the answer to 2) is yes, is Harry ever going to find/figure this out ?

but I suspect that 2) might well get an "I'm not going to tell you", and there have been rumblings that some of the apparent series inconsistencies are part of a larger plan so 1) might as well.  Indeed, I can see 2) being resolved in CD.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:53:07 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »
These ones have already been answered.

This one was also answered, the senior council pick out a new Merlin from amongst themselves.

Okay, stricken from the record.

I have a bunch of questions in the relevant thread, but only one of them got asked, I'd want it to be whether Talos is still alive after the end of SK, because that is one that for some reason irrationally nags at me and seems unlikely to connect to anything that would lead to an "I'm not going to tell you".

You mean the Questions for Jim 2012 style 2 thread? Yeah, that'll work, too. The reason I started this thread, though, is because that one has 22 pages, and a whole lot of random questions in it that no one's going to care enough about to ask at a Q&A. I didn't think most people were likely to spend that much time on the subject. And one of the Q&As is tonight, so a short thread to put the questions we care about most into seems easier than sifting through the other thread looking for ideas. I guess I wanted a distilled version of the QfJ2012 thread.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 06:15:57 PM by AcornArmy »

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »
The question I'd enjoy having an answer to the most at the moment is

Do all faeries have a weakness to iron and if so, has it always been that way or is it more like wizards and murphyonic fields?  What is considered iron/cold iron (i.e. is it the amount of iron that matters or some sort of metahysical signifigance)?
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »
Okay, stricken from the record.

You mean the Questions for Jim 2012 style 2 thread? Yeah, that'll work, too. The reason I started this thread, though, is because that one has 22 pages, and a whole lot of random questions in it that no one's going to care enough about to ask at a Q&A. I didn't think most people were likely to spend that much time on the subject. And one of the Q&As is tonight, so a short thread to put the questions we care about most into seems easier than sifting through the other thread looking for ideas. I guess I wanted a distilled version of the QfJ2012 thread.

You know I'm just going to gather every question I asked over the course of that thread right? And you could just read the question posts rather than all 22 pages.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:30:10 PM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »
Argh! Fine! I'll just drop the questions into your thread.

Offline LordMelvin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »
2) Would you(Jim) please clarify exactly who the Faerie Queens can personally kill and who they can't? At various times in Summer Knight and in the rest of the series, we've been told or seen evidence that:

-- The Sidhe Knights are the only ones allowed to act in matters not directly related to the Faerie Courts. (SK, Ch. 10)
-- The Queens are not allowed to kill anyone who isn't a member of their own Court. (SK, Ch. 10)

And yet:

-- We've seen fae servants of the Faerie Queens kill and attempt to kill mortals many times.
-- Aurora was able to try to kill Harry just fine, but was unable to harm Murphy. (SK, Ch. 20-21)
-- When Harry is preparing to deal with Mab to become the Winter Knight, he thinks to himself that Mab can't kill a mortal, only make them wish they were dead. The implication seems to include the Winter Knight. (Changes, Ch. 30)

So which mortals can the Faerie Queens kill? Bob tells us one thing, but evidence in the books indicates something else.

Re: Your three points:
-- We've seen the fae wreaking mayhem on multiple occasions, but the only real bodycount was in PG, where they were acting via Mollys' choice. It was, essentially, Molly's decision to indulge in black magic that opened the way for the horror movie fetches to go wild at the convention, while at Arctis Tor, anyone present had clearly chosen to involve themselves in the events, I. E. become involved in matters directly related to the dealings of the court.
-- In Summer Knight, Harry as Winter Emissary was an open target, since he was - temporarily, to hear him tell it - a part of Winter, while Murphy was, as a vanilla mortal who happened to be standing nearby, not a legitimate target, and therefore the Chlorofiend had to pull its punches.
-- Take 1 part wishful thinking, 2 parts assisted delusion via [GS thing], and 1 part not-thinking-straight-due-to-having-just-been-permanently-injured. Garnish with inaccurate phrasing and unreliable narrator to taste.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
Re: Your three points:
-- We've seen the fae wreaking mayhem on multiple occasions, but the only real bodycount was in PG, where they were acting via Mollys' choice. It was, essentially, Molly's decision to indulge in black magic that opened the way for the horror movie fetches to go wild at the convention, while at Arctis Tor, anyone present had clearly chosen to involve themselves in the events, I. E. become involved in matters directly related to the dealings of the court.
-- In Summer Knight, Harry as Winter Emissary was an open target, since he was - temporarily, to hear him tell it - a part of Winter, while Murphy was, as a vanilla mortal who happened to be standing nearby, not a legitimate target, and therefore the Chlorofiend had to pull its punches.
-- Take 1 part wishful thinking, 2 parts assisted delusion via [GS thing], and 1 part not-thinking-straight-due-to-having-just-been-permanently-injured. Garnish with inaccurate phrasing and unreliable narrator to taste.

That's useful speculation, but my problem with it is that we have to speculate in the first place. These are supposed to be hard rules which have to be followed by the Queens. I just want a clear, straight answer from Jim on the subject. If nothing else, it'll make things easier for the DFRPG folks.

Offline Direwolf513

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
The question I'd enjoy having an answer to the most at the moment is

Do all faeries have a weakness to iron and if so, has it always been that way or is it more like wizards and murphyonic fields?  What is considered iron/cold iron (i.e. is it the amount of iron that matters or some sort of metahysical signifigance)?

Something nagging at me from another thread - why don't the Fae have an issue with the iron in human blood? The answers in the other thread (ranging from there's not enough iron to make a difference to blood having its own metaphysical significance and weight that cancels out the metaphysical significance of the iron) are all well-thought out and plausible, but I'd just be interested in Jim's take on it.

Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun. -Ash

Offline Casterbridge

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »
Concerning Angles being soul gazed, Harry tried to soul gaze an angel in Ghost Story, the angel stopped him, implying yes they can be soul gazed (but probably have ramifications in the mental department, my guess anyway).

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 12:05:59 AM »
Actually he tried to use the sight on an angel in GS... not soulgaze. Different and distinct actions.

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 04:30:36 AM »

I'm fairly certain that the following were answered by Jim at one point or another:

Do wizards gain power (not just skill) with age (i.e. is a 300 year old wizard more powerful than at 20 years old?) like every other supernatural group seems to?

What did the Red Court use Chichen Itza for when Cortez was there?

What are Harry's specialties in magic (there have been some inconsistencies about what he is skilled at)? How skilled is he with evocation?

How old are the senior council members?
DV Aesir v1.2 YR8FR8 BK++ RP++ TH++ ?WG BC+ SH[Molly+++ Lara++ Mab++ Elaine++ Gard+ Murphy- Mavra----]

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 05:06:29 AM »
1)Who taught Fix swordplay after he was Knighted?.

2) If a White Court vamp became a Knight for one of the Fae Courts, would the power boost  and new magic affect/overlap with their vampire powers?

3) Does being a Winter/Summer Knight mean you still have to follow the Laws of magic?

4) What is Ancient Mai's  specialty since you've said before that she's never been one for physical combat

5) How different is rune magic in terms of function and effect from the regular magic we've usually seen in the series?

6) How highly ranked were the Eebs in the Red Court Hierarchy since they weren't True Mayan and would they have stood a better chance against Susan and Harry if they decided to fight instead of sending in the scrub and the Ick ?

7) Where did Madrigal Raith acquire those ward cloths as they seem to  be rather convenient for participating in a duel  he didn't know he'd be in.

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »
1)Who taught Fix swordplay after he was Knighted?.

2) If a White Court vamp became a Knight for one of the Fae Courts, would the power boost  and new magic affect/overlap with their vampire powers?

3) Does being a Winter/Summer Knight mean you still have to follow the Laws of magic?

4) What is Ancient Mai's  specialty since you've said before that she's never been one for physical combat

5) How different is rune magic in terms of function and effect from the regular magic we've usually seen in the series?

6) How highly ranked were the Eebs in the Red Court Hierarchy since they weren't True Mayan and would they have stood a better chance against Susan and Harry if they decided to fight instead of sending in the scrub and the Ick ?

7) Where did Madrigal Raith acquire those ward cloths as they seem to  be rather convenient for participating in a duel  he didn't know he'd be in.

Pretty sure that this one has been answered with Enchanting.
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.