Author Topic: Writing Gigs, part two.  (Read 7187 times)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Gigs, part two.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »

3 AUGUST WRITING CONTESTS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with August deadlines:

The Boardman Tasker Award for Mountain Literature is offered for the best contribution to mountain literature in the English language. Awarded in the United Kingdom, the winner receives 3,000 pounds. Deadline: August 1.

Oregon Book Awards celebrate Oregon authors in multiple categories, including poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and more. Prize is $2,500. Deadline: August 30.

Tiger's Eye Poetry Chapbook Contest is offered annually for the best previously unpublished poetry chapbook (20-25 pages). Winner receives $100 and 25 copies of the chapbook. Deadline: August 31.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 10:41:33 PM »

4 BOOK PUBLISHERS FOR NOVELS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of book publishers (and literary agents) for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are four open to novel submissions:

DAW Books Inc. is one of the few major publishers that accepts work directly from novelists-so you don't need an agent. As you might expect, the competition is fierce, and they only accept science fiction and fantasy novels (usually of 80,000+ words). Send manuscripts by post.

Peachtree Children's Books publishes 30 books per year, including middle grade and young adult novels. Potential authors should submit either a full manuscript or table of contents and first three sample chapters.

Kensington Publishing Corp. prides itself on being a major independent publishing house. Prospective novelists should submit a cover letter, first three chapters, and a synopsis (5 pages or fewer).

Dzanc Books Inc. focuses on literary fiction and is concerned with sharing great writing-whether it fits a marketing slot or not. Prospective novelists can submit via an online submission form.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 02:12:24 AM »
4 BOOK PUBLISHERS FOR NOVELS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of book publishers (and literary agents) for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are four open to novel submissions:

DAW Books Inc. is one of the few major publishers that accepts work directly from novelists-so you don't need an agent. As you might expect, the competition is fierce, and they only accept science fiction and fantasy novels (usually of 80,000+ words). Send manuscripts by post.

Peachtree Children's Books publishes 30 books per year, including middle grade and young adult novels. Potential authors should submit either a full manuscript or table of contents and first three sample chapters.

Kensington Publishing Corp. prides itself on being a major independent publishing house. Prospective novelists should submit a cover letter, first three chapters, and a synopsis (5 pages or fewer).

Dzanc Books Inc. focuses on literary fiction and is concerned with sharing great writing-whether it fits a marketing slot or not. Prospective novelists can submit via an online submission form.

Interesting.  I wonder what kind of turn around times are in there for their review process.

Thanks for the lists.  Its nice to know there are these kinds of outlets out there.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »
No problem, glad to help.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »

3 SEPTEMBER WRITING CONTESTS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with September deadlines:

Christian Book Awards is offered annually for the best contribution to evangelical Christian book publishing. Winners are recognized by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association. Writers should submit between September 2-30.

Juniper Prize for Poetry is an annual award for a previously unpublished manuscript of poetry-in odd years such as this year, they are looking for first-time authors. Prize is $1,500, plus publication. Deadline: September 30.

Writer's Digest Popular Fiction Awards is offered annually for the best previously unpublished short genre fiction. Categories included science fiction, horror, thriller, romance, crime, and young adult. Grand prize is $2,500 and a trip to the Writer's Digest Conference in New York City; each category also has a $500 first place prize. Early bird deadline: September 16.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »
Here's for October, good folk.

3 OCTOBER WRITING CONTESTS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with October deadlines:

The Patricia Bibby First Book Award is offered annually for the best previously unpublished first book of poetry. The winner receives $1,000 and book publication. Entries must be postmarked by October 31.

DIAGRAM Essay Contest is an annual for previously unpublished essays up to 10,000 words in length. The winner receives $1,000 and publication. Deadline: October 31.

PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction is offered annually for the best previously previously published book of fiction. The winner receives $15,000 and four finalists receive $5,000 each. Deadline: October 31.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 04:17:40 AM »
is there a page limit or minimum to that book of poetry?
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 07:52:53 AM »
I'm afraid that I don't know that, Kristine.
One assumes that they should have a website - perhaps you can check there.
Sorry, I can't be of much help.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »
here it is... http://www.freelancewriting.com/writingcontests/103113-the-patricia-bibby-first-book-award.php
The competition is open to all poets writing in English who have not committed to publishing collections of poetry of 36 poems or more in editions of over 400 copies. Winner will receive $1,000 and book publication. Entries of 50-84 pages of original poetry in English must be postmarked by October 31, 2013. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable.

The Patricia Bibby First Book Award
Prize: $1,000.00. Entry fee: $30.00. Deadline: 10-31-2013.
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 01:07:14 AM »
    SCRIPTS WANTED - KID AND A DRAGON STORIES

---------------------------------------------------------
    Dan Garcia Productions - Seeking Kid and a Dragon Scripts
    ---------------------------------------------------------

We are looking for completed, feature length fantasy scripts featuring a live-action kid and a CGI dragon.

Budget will not exceed $5 million. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include "The Great Divide" among others.

TO SUBMIT:
    1. Please go to www.InkTippro.com/leads
    2. Enter your email address (you will be signing up for InkTip's newsletter - FREE!)
    3. Copy/Paste this code: n2hghd05u3
    4. You will be submitting a logline and synopsis only.

IMPORTANT:  Please ONLY submit your work if it fits what the lead is looking for EXACTLY.

If you aren't sure if your submission fits, please ask InkTip first.  Be sure to mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com and please email any questions to:
    jerrol@inktip.com
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »
4 BOOK PUBLISHERS LOOKING FOR WRITERS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of book publishers open to submissions from writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are four:

Willow Creek Press publishes 25 titles per year. This press specializes in nature, outdoor, and sporting books-high-quality nonfiction titles. Prospective authors should submit a chapter-by-chapter outline and sample chapters via mail.

CQ Press was established in 1945 and focuses exclusively on politics-American and international. Prospective authors should submit a prospectus, table of contents, and two sample chapters.

Forge and TOR Books publish science fiction and fantasy novels. They're both imprints of Tom Doherty Associates, which is part of Macmillan-so it's a major player that accepts direct submissions. Prospective authors should send a proposal package that includes the first 40-60 pages.

BlazeVOX [Books] publishes poetry, fiction, and literary criticism. With an emphasis on poetry, prospective authors can submit via e-mail or an online contact form.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »

3 MAGAZINES OPEN TO SUBMISSIONS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of magazines open to submissions from writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three:

Fitness Magazine is a monthly health and fitness magazine for women. Writers are paid $1,500-2,500 for nonfiction articles. Prospective writers should query.

The Paris Review is a literary magazine that publishes fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. This magazine pays $500+ for fiction and nonfiction and $35+ for poetry. Regardless of genre, writers should submit complete manuscript via post.

Scientific American is a monthly magazine covering the latest developments and topics of interest in the world of science. The magazine pays $1 per word on average for well-researched and well-written nonfiction articles. Writers should query first for this market.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »
    NIKOLA TESLA SCRIPTS WANTED

-----------------------------------------------------
    AKA ES Films - Seeking Nikola Tesla Scripts

We are looking for completed, feature-length biographical scripts about Nikola Tesla.

Budget has yet to be determined. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Please note that in order to protect this company from unsolicited calls and emails, and because this lead is exclusive to InkTip subscribers, we're keeping their name anonymous.

TO SUBMIT:
    2. Enter your email address (you will be signing up for InkTip's newsletter - FREE!)
    3. Copy/Paste this code: gatfskx3j8

IMPORTANT:  Please ONLY submit your work if it fits what the lead is looking for EXACTLY.

If you aren't sure if your submission fits, please ask InkTip first.  Be sure to mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com and please email any questions to:
    jerrol@inktip.com
-John Lennon-

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 02:50:50 PM »
Stumbked aross this one: http://www.apocalypse-ink.com/page/Submission-Guidelines.aspx

Dark Speculative Fiction Linked Novella Trilogies
Apocalypse Ink Productions is looking for 3 linked dark spec-fic novellas of 20-25K words each.

What we want: Horror or dark urban fantasy preferred. No zombies. No far future. Think of stories set between 1950 and 2020. Must have a supernatural element.

QUERY Reading Period: Jan 1, 2014-31 Mar 2014. (Do NOT send your query before this time.)
Send a 1 page query in the body of the email. Include the synopsis of each novella, your writing history, and anything you think is relevant to the query. If your query is selected, the first novella manuscript will be requested for consideration in April 2014.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
    CREATURE FEATURE SCRIPTS WANTED

Sixty40 Productions - Seeking Creature Feature Scripts

We are looking for completed, feature length creature feature scripts.

Budget will not exceed $1million.  Only non-WGA writers should submit.

Our credits include "Escape" and "Broken."

TO SUBMIT:
    3. Copy/Paste this code:  zuas5qcvmq

jerrol@inktip.com

-John Lennon-