Author Topic: Character Concept - Homebrew Power Feedback  (Read 11416 times)

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Character Concept - Homebrew Power Feedback
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »
Plus part of the point is that Rock Lee doesn't gain any Toughness abilities whatever, that's why us body starts tearing itself apart.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 02:51:21 AM »
It fills your stress track, so even weak hits will take you out. In other words, it makes you incredibly fragile.

Then why does it grant Toughness? Seems kinda weird.

Also, you really need to define how this Power is used. As a supplemental action? As a full action? Freely whenever?

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »
Plus part of the point is that Rock Lee doesn't gain any Toughness abilities whatever, that's why us body starts tearing itself apart.
I seem to remember him being able to take hits better as well. Is that a false memory?
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »
I seem to remember him being able to take hits better as well. Is that a false memory?
He definitly does. Afterwards he is completely drained because his muscles were tearing themselves apart, but durring the time when it was happening he was using his muscles to their full potential by pouring chakra through them, which granted him those abilities.

It fills your stress track, so even weak hits will take you out. In other words, it makes you incredibly fragile.

Then why does it grant Toughness? Seems kinda weird.

Also, you really need to define how this Power is used. As a supplemental action? As a full action? Freely whenever?

That would be why it would have to grant you toughness, because anything that hits you beyond would have you take another consequence, it also gives the user the wary of using the higher powers, because they could easily backfire.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
It's a power that is supposed to have a high risk of backfire (someone in the series mentions it being a double-edged sword).  Rock Lee really doesn't get any tougher (stronger and faster, yes).

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 08:10:43 PM »
It's a power that is supposed to have a high risk of backfire (someone in the series mentions it being a double-edged sword).  Rock Lee really doesn't get any tougher (stronger and faster, yes).

I remember this seen where he gets hit in the face by gara, then just sort of shrugs it off as if it's nothing after going all super rock. If that memory is true, than toughness powers should count.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »
That is a result of Rock being naturally a tough dude.  Probably took it in the stress track.  Heck, Rock probably has some Endurance stunts too, so yeah...

Having the Strength and Speed powers should e more than enough to make you ridiculous without throwing on Toughness.  I mean the whole point of that power is that humans are only so tough and you're accepting the consequences of ignoring those limits and practically killing yourself to win.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »
Yea but the way the power works now he would simply be taken out if he took any more stress, which is why I gave him the toughness. Maybe its just inhuman toughness in all tracks but he should still have some buffer. Having more muscles makes you tough, and the fact that it can only be used for a small amount of time accounts for that.

I looked into it a little more and apparently each gate has a different effect. Worth looking into and I will post more on it here.

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »
That is a result of Rock being naturally a tough dude.  Probably took it in the stress track.  Heck, Rock probably has some Endurance stunts too, so yeah...

Having the Strength and Speed powers should e more than enough to make you ridiculous without throwing on Toughness.  I mean the whole point of that power is that humans are only so tough and you're accepting the consequences of ignoring those limits and practically killing yourself to win.

It definitely helps balance things better and removes the weird paradox of being tougher, yet not being able to take stress, so mechanically it probably fits better. Still think I remember him being able to take more punishment, but I don't have a source to link to so meh.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 04:08:08 AM »
It's hard to comment here because we don't have an actual Power writeup to work with.

Anyone plan on making one?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »
I will work one up in a minute, I talked with addicted2aa yesterday as well. and have a few different ideas

EDIT: Here is the power so far.
EIGHT GATES RELEASED FORMATION [-3]Description: You are able to push your life force through your muscles making you faster and stronger.
Note: This power is still a WIP and has yet to be play tested.
Skills Affected: Endurance, Fists, Might
Effects:
2 Gates: At the cost of filling your stress track and taking a mild consequence, the user gains temporary access to Inhuman Speed and Strength. This access lasts until the end of the encounter.
4 Gates: At the cost of filling your stress track and taking both a mild and moderate consequence, the user gains temporary access to Supernatural Strength and Speed. This access lasts until the end of the encounter.
6 Gates: At the cost of filling your stress track and taking a mild, moderate and severe consequence, the user gains temporary access to Supernatural Strength, Speed, and Toughness. This access lasts until the end of the encounter.
8 Gates: At the cost of filling your stress track and taking all of your consequences. The user gains access to Mythic Speed, Strength and Toughness. Using this power kills the user at the end of the encounter.
EDIT: Exhausted:This power drains the user physically. As such it can only be used once per session.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:58:26 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Two important questions:

1. How do you use this? Does it require an action? Can you do it in response to an incoming attack?
2. What does "filling your stress track" mean? Does it fill all stress tracks, or just the physical one? Does it fill extra boxes from Toughness?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »
Two important questions:

1. How do you use this? Does it require an action? Can you do it in response to an incoming attack?
2. What does "filling your stress track" mean? Does it fill all stress tracks, or just the physical one? Does it fill extra boxes from Toughness?
Thats like 6 questions but still.
1. Supplemental, answered, not unless suplemental can be done in response.
2. Fills physical track. Currently it fills the toughness track.

Me and addicted were talking though and thought that mabye instead it deals you stress back after the scene is over. There would be a cap on it for each round but that is what we are currently working on. Maybe it will work or maybe it wont but as it is now is what I have stated above

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 02:14:32 AM »
It was meant to be two questions with three phrasings apiece.

Anyway, I'd advise against having it fill the Toughness boxes. That really defeats the purpose of it giving Toughness.

By the way, how does this work if you already have physical Powers?

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 05:02:57 AM »
It was meant to be two questions with three phrasings apiece.

Anyway, I'd advise against having it fill the Toughness boxes. That really defeats the purpose of it giving Toughness.

By the way, how does this work if you already have physical Powers?
Is it unprecedented to have some powers specifically not work with each other? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but due to the narrative of this power(Rock lee only having physical power, taijitsu I believe, in the show), it would make sense if the person couldn't have any other physical powers, and was limited in the powers they could take at all.

If it fills the toughness boxes, it's basically just gives armor, with some form of catch. Which is a waste of refresh, but since you aren't paying it's kinda moot. I think it works in terms of flavor, he becomes tougher as well as stronger and faster, but I don't feel the mechanics aren't quite lining up right. I do think it's getting closer to the right feel though.

I just noticed, that it's take up to in consequence, not take that specific consequence. That makes it alot harsher than I realized. Not sure if that's good or bad though.

Some food for thought, with the current implementation, once they break 6 gates, they add 2 to their defense roll, and get 2 armor. For someone of the same skill for attacking as this characters athletics and no super natural bonus they will hit only 1 in 4 attacks, and less than 1 in 20 will they hit well enough to inflict stress pre-weapon. Since all they need is a stress of 1 to either force an extreme or take him out though, assuming at least a weapon 1, they will achieve that close to 1 in every 7 attacks.
At the extreme level gate 8, assuming attacks are coming in with weapon 2 and at the same skill rank, it's 1 in 20 to take out the power user, 1 in 140ish to deal damage without a weapon rating, and 1 in 7 to to hit with no stress, pre weapon.
At gate 2 and 4, it's a little less likely than a 1 in 2 and a little more likely than a 1 in 4, to hit with no stress, pre weapon respectively.
Looking at that I'm thinking gate 4 is a little light, and doesn't scale with the others, since a moderate sticks around for a session +, Maybe kick in inhuman toughness at that level with the current implementation?

I still think stress caused equals stress taken is the model to use though. It has a nice karmic feel to it, fits the whole Eastern obsession with balance pretty well.