Author Topic: A Question about PBP  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
A Question about PBP
« on: October 26, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »
I'm not putting this on the Play by Post Board because it's not a request...just some general questions for those who've done it.  (and maybe this is still the wrong board...)

How much time does it take?
How often do you update posts?
Would I check 1/day to see what's going down or Is there a certain day of the week?

What are official/unofficial rules of "decorum" when involved in a PBP game?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:47:55 PM by Taran »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: A Question about PBP
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »
I usually try to set aside at least half an hour in any given day for each game I'm playing in via PBP.  Often, given the particular activities of the game at the time, and the posting rate of other players, I'll end up spending substantially less time than that, having little to do in the game at that time.  Other times, I might spend as much as an hour or two, if I'm composing more extensive and detailed posts, receiving prompt replies, and then replying again in turn.

More generally, though, topics such as these should be discussed with the (prospective) gaming group beforehand to arrive at mutually agreeable expectations for behaviour.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »
It really depends on the game.

My policy is generally to reply to anything aimed at me within a day. So I check every day. And I might spend half an hour replying when there are posts to reply to.

But some games are slower.

And even in a single game, post rate and time commitment will vary. Sometimes games just sort of go dormant, sometimes there's a flurry of posts which demands your attention.

Offline npd740

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »
An additional question as I am considering doing this with a friend of mine who just got transfered to Mexico for business.  Are there any good sites to do this on or what is a good format to set up a website to do this?  I have never tried this before and we want to give it a go but unsure how to get started.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:35:02 PM »
Well, I'm given to believe that this forum has a section devoted to PBP gaming, but I'm personally biased towards Myth-Weavers(.com).  The integrated dice roller and character sheets, there, are a big plus.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough